• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit Shirts

peanut2859

Reaction score
Tried on a ESF shirt today to take advantage of the 2 for $99 sale and have to say I'm pretty disappointed. Similar to previous comments, I have to agree that Brooks has focused almost only on narrowing the chest and armholes while not addressing the true problem of their shirts which is the waist. I'm 5'9'', 155 pounds, 40R suit (broad shoulders), 32 waist and slim through torso. Usually wear 15.5 or sometimes 16 slim fit in Boss Black or Theory. I've found that BB shirts shrink a half inch in collar and sleeve length over 10 trips to the dry cleaners.

I have officially given up on Brooks dress shirts despite the good prices and quality fabrics. The cut just isn't there. What is the use of buying a shirt two extra collar sizes up so your chest and armpits can breathe a little?

Oh well at least I know where to come back for quality polos and maybe a Regent suit.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Valproate
The Supima ones seem to be an inch longer at the arms vs the others. Dunno why.

I noticed this too. I almost always wear a 16x34, but it was easily an inch too long. Glad to know I'm wasn't going crazy.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Valproate
The Supima ones seem to be an inch longer at the arms vs the others. Dunno why.

Bummer. I just ordered a 16 / 35 and 16 1/2 / 35. Do they measure an inch longer or just feel like it?

Slimming in the waist is an easy tailoring fix so I'm less worried about that.

Wish I had time to get out to a location to try on before the sale ended...

dijon

Reaction score
just got my 2 for $99 ESF Non-irons

I have mixed feelings about them

the fabric seems to be different/cheaper than the slim-fit non irons, still better quality than the usual polyblend at the mall

fit is good and actually slim, I have a rectangular chest to torso profile so they work great, some bunching at the waist, but a few seconds of strategic tucking properly fixes it

main gripe: what bothers me is that the collar feels like a whole inch bigger - I can fit about 3 fingers going away from the neck before it gets even near snug, but in another color it fits only 2 fingers in so I'm not sure if I just got a bad shirt (how loose does a collar get before it's a bad fit anyway? sizing down isn't an option since I'm 14 1/2 x 32)

I'm assuming the loose collar is response to how tight the Supima ESFs are

I'll have the shirts exchanged and hopefully they'll come with correct collars

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got a few ESF shirts. I'm amazed this is called an "extra slim" fit. I'd call it more like a "regular" fit. A 16.5/35 is perfect for me. I'm 6'3 / 200 lbs. / slim 44 chest and a little paunch so hardly a twig.

maritimetimetime

Reaction score
how big of a drop in quality are the kids sized oxford shirts? im only asking because im pretty short and im pretty sure the adult sizes would look like a dress on me

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yo if you get a kids sized shirt throw up a fit pic. I'm also really short and thought about getting kids sized shirts but I've yet to actually do it.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a feeling you won't be able to tuck in the kids shirts no matter how short you are but that is just a guess.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
I have a feeling you won't be able to tuck in the kids shirts no matter how short you are but that is just a guess.

challenge accepted.

I'm 5'2". If you buy me a bb kids shirt, I will prove to you that I can tuck it.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike868y
challenge accepted.

I'm 5'2". If you buy me a bb kids shirt, I will prove to you that I can tuck it.

lol8[1].gif
I meant stay tucked in. I mean I can tuck in a BoO shirt but it won't stay tucked once I start moving.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
lol8[1].gif
I meant stay tucked in. I mean I can tuck in a BoO shirt but it won't stay tucked once I start moving.

idk man I'd be willing to take this bet. Most kids are taller than me. When I was in jamaica every bartender gave me **** because they all thought I was 12.

aizan

Reaction score
anybody know if the shoulder width is the same for extra slim, slim, and traditional cuts of the same collar size?

zightx

Reaction score
Bought two 14.5 x 32 extra slim fit. They were really slim in the chest, actually to tight for me. (I have a 37 chest). And the armholes is really high. The armes were a little short too.

The 14.5 doesn't work to wear all day at the office, it gets too uncomfortable after a while.

I also bought a ocbd sport shirt in extra slim fit in small but that fits just fine.

I've also tried a 15x34 slim fit, the fit is nice exepct the arms is really wide so it got to be adjusted by a tailor and I don't really wanna do that.

I've got a 14.5" neck so I don't wanna buy to big neck. But do you think sizing up to a 15x33 extra slim fit would work? Or should straight to a 15.5x33?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads