1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit Shirts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by tonio028, Sep 22, 2009.

1. johnny1202

johnny1202 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I didn't know sarcasm existed on these forums =P

2. lottin

lottin New Member

I'm under the impression that it was a sarcastic response.

3. Todd V

Todd V Senior member

Sabo --

What is your neck size?

I am your size, 5'4" but a weigh about 15 lbs more. Back in high-school, I was closer to your weight lol.

The Extra-Slim is the way to go but it really depends on your neck size relative to your shoulders. I found that in my neck size, 15, the shoulder and chest were too narrow and it just looked wrong. In other words, you have to try it on and see. But, there is hope.

If you aren't wearing a tie and you can size down as needed, then I think it will work out well for you.

4. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

I have the same problem as johnny1202, but I am 5'7'' instead of 5'4''. Should 14.5-32 fit me?
    The Gitman Brothers Vintage shirts in xs are the only shirts that fit me well, a shame that GBV don't make dress shirts.
    the measurements for GBV in xs are:
    p2p: 17
    shoulder to shoulder: 16
    sleeve length (pit of shoulder to sleeve end): 24
    length: 29

5. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

Since Brooks Brothers currently has a 15% off everything deal, I figured it was as good a time as any to try out their dress shirts. I was worried that the ESF would be a little too slim for me, but when I tried on the tester shirt at the local BB store, it actually seemed to fit quite well. I'm 6'2" and just over 180lbs, and ordered the 16 36. My only worry is if the shirt shrinks substantially after a couple washings. Fingers crossed.

6. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

Firefux, your shirt will be fine - the shrinking is minimal IMO. I'm 6'2" and 195 for reference and wear the same size. And I'm built like ryan gosling too.

7. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

Good to know! I'm looking forward to trying them out when they arrive. Even with shipping costs to Canada, it was still cheaper to get them online with the 15% discount then to get them at the BB store five minutes from my office (which isn't honouring the 15% deal, unlike the U.S.-based stores). The online site has a better selection of ESF patterns/colours, too.

8. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

Finally got my shirts. They fit great, even after a washing. My only complaints are the absence of a plackett button (which is strange, since even lower-quality dress shirts usually have one) and the laundry tag on the bottom front (it's short enough that I could almost get away with wearing it untucked as a casual shirt). But in terms of fit, it's pretty much the best I've tried to date. No bagginess around the arms or waist, which has always been my biggest beef, and the sleeves are the perfect length.

Now, if only the local store had a better selection of ESF shirts. After shipping and customs duties, I actually paid more than I would have in-store. I wonder if the store can order in patterns/sizes that they don't have in stock...

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  9. atoms

atoms Senior member

My local BB is constantly offering to order whatever it is I want that they don't have in stock. I would be surprised it they wouldn't do that for everyone.

10. CPaul

CPaul Senior member

Damn, maybe ill have to give these a shot. I'm about the same size as you guys (6'3" 195 lbs). The only worry I have is are the shirts too long to be worn untucked?

11. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

you're all welcome. glad you like the shirts.

12. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

CPaul, I'm about 6'2" and 180-185lbs. I'd say my build is "average"; not particularly big in the chest/arms/legs, but not stick thin either. The 16/36 ESF shirt I'm wearing now fits great, although I wouldn't want it any smaller. If there is a BB store near you, they should have ESF "tester" shirts that you can try on to check out the fit. That's what I did. If not, you could always take a guess, and return the order if it's off.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I think the shirts are short enough to wear untucked, although this may be a matter of personal preference. Some may find the back a tad too long to wear untucked, but I think it would work.

One other odd thing I noticed; the fabric of one of the shirts feels different than the other two. All three are non-iron, but the fabric of one of the shirts feels lighter and softer, while the other two feel a little heavier and "crisper". I wondered if the lighter shirt was actually a "must iron" that had been improperly tagged, but after a preliminary washing, I can confirm that it's also non-iron.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  13. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

One thing that I'm not crazy about is the little folds of fabric where the sleeve attaches to the cuff. I don't know what to call it; it's a design that almost looks like a fan, but is definitely grandpa esque.

14. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I agree that they would probably look better without it, but on the flip side, the barrel cuffs fit a lot better (i.e. more snugly) than many of the other OTR shirts I've tried.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  15. jaac

jaac Senior member

If anyone has the camp trim slim fit in a small ill kop/trade for a medium.

16. UrsusREX

UrsusREX Member

Hey Firefox,

How much were the duties (as a percentage of purchase price) when you ordered from BB online? The stores in TO don't carry my size, I hoped they'd be able to order to the store so I could avoid duties, no such luck. Ordered two 16.5-37 shirts this morning. I'll post my impressions if anyone in the over 6'5" crowd is interested.

17. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

It was pretty brutal. The cost of the actual merchandise was about $186 US. The total fees came to $77.53 (!). That consisted of $37.21 of customs duties (since the shirts are made overseas) and $29.02 HST. Topping it off was a FedEx "rod fee" of $11.30 (including HST), which is essentially a FedEx "FU" fee for not having a customs account.

If one were to buy made-in-North America stuff, they would likely avoid the customs. And the rod fee can be avoided if you have a FedEx shipping account. But otherwise, it's prohibitively expensive. And I guess that's why the Canadian BB retail store can charge higher prices even with the dollar at par.

18. flatspotting

flatspotting Senior member

Hmm this is very interesting me to that they could not bring in what you wanted.....

That was actually the very FIRST thing I was told when I went into the store here in Vancouver. I was looking for a couple specific pants, and was told by the employee helping me that anything I find that I wanted online, just let him know, and he will bring it in so I don't have to pay any duties, he was very aware of how brutal they were. Odd that your store won't do the same....

19. CPaul

CPaul Senior member

Might be a dumb question, but what's the difference between a dress shirt Oxford and a sport shit Oxford? Thanks in advance.

Chris

20. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

Dress shirt oxford may be more refined, with a finer weave and a luster. Sport Shit Oxfords are usually brown and smell pretty badly. Can often stain your skin and the interior of your suits, also causing them to become brown and smelly.

I'd recommend Dress Shirt for sure.

2 people like this.