• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit Shirts

zightx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aizan
you've only tried a slim fit in size 15. if you had tried a 14.5 slim fit, things would be simpler. as it is, we can't be certain that sizing up in extra slim fit will solve your problems. the collar will definitely be too large, the chest may not be big enough, and the armhole may still be too small. collar size is the last thing you want to mess with, so you should be finding out what the armhole and chest sizes are in size 14.5 by trying other fits.

And why would I want to try a looser fit then slim fit if I think it's to big?

I don't think a 14.5 has slim arms when 15 slim fit has really really wide arms. If I buy a 14.5 slim fit I would have to take it to a tailor and adjust the arms width, which I don't wanna do.

aizan

Reaction score
but you haven't tried the slim fit in 14.5, only in 15. and if the armhole in extra slim fit is too small in 14.5, going up to 15 is not going to solve your problems. it sounds like your chest and arms are on the large side for your neck. ESF is not for you.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zightx
And why would I want to try a looser fit then slim fit if I think it's to big?

I don't think a 14.5 has slim arms when 15 slim fit has really really wide arms. If I buy a 14.5 slim fit I would have to take it to a tailor and adjust the arms width, which I don't wanna do.

Why don't you try 15x33 ESF? Sounds like it would be perfect. I'm normally a 14.5 neck in shirts, size S in all brands, EU46 in Euro size and the 15x33 ESF BB shirts are a great slim fit.

zightx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aizan
but you haven't tried the slim fit in 14.5, only in 15. and if the armhole in extra slim fit is too small in 14.5, going up to 15 is not going to solve your problems. it sounds like your chest and arms are on the large side for your neck. ESF is not for you.

The armhole is not to small, it's just high. My arms and chest is not big for my neck size.

Originally Posted by tonio028
Why don't you try 15x33 ESF? Sounds like it would be perfect. I'm normally a 14.5 neck in shirts, size S in all brands, EU46 in Euro size and the 15x33 ESF BB shirts are a great slim fit.

I live outside US and can't try one in store.
frown.gif
But seems like a 15x33 ESF should fit good. I always wear size S or 14.5 in shirts in all other brands. And the BB ESF sport shirt in small did fit good.

acularw

Reaction score
What is the quality of the oxford sport shirts like? Was hoping I could wear them in both casual and work environments but maybe it is still worth getting 2-3 for work if they are ok.

I do have two of the Supima oxfords, I am guessing the sport shirts are more lightweight and probably lower quality?

zightx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acularw
What is the quality of the oxford sport shirts like? Was hoping I could wear them in both casual and work environments but maybe it is still worth getting 2-3 for work if they are ok.

I do have two of the Supima oxfords, I am guessing the sport shirts are more lightweight and probably lower quality?

The sport shirt is made in China and the Oxford dress shirt is made in USA. And yes, it's much lighter and has a garment washed feel. The dress shirt oxford feels like it has much higher quality and it's more sturdy.

But I wouldn't say the sport shirt has bad quality. It's just that the dress shirt feels so much better.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just browsing in the clearance section, ended up buying 9 shirts.
frown.gif

raphaelargus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cromulated
a request for measurements: does anyone have a 15.5 on hand to get a p2p reading?

I can get one for you later today when I get home.

Be careful with it though. The ESFs have a much more suppressed chest/upper waist than I'm used to in my other dress shirts. The comparison picture of the cuts on the BB website that shows the more pronounced concavity to the ESF body is definitely present.

For a relative comparison, the 15.5 ESF has a very slightly slimmer body and much slimmer sleeves than a 15 SF.

aizan

Reaction score
Bought two 14.5 x 32 extra slim fit. They were really slim in the chest, actually to tight for me. (I have a 37 chest). And the armholes is really high. The armes were a little short too.

so the collar fit, but the chest was too small? doesn't that mean you should first try a fit with a bigger chest? also, it sounded like you didn't like the armholes. thanks for clarifying that the "really high" armholes were actually satisfactory.

if you end up ordering a 15x33 extra slim fit, the collar with definitely be too large. i would suggest that you try a gitman vintage small instead.

mtmindc

Reaction score

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
30+ pages of gibberish about slim dress shirts from some lame chain store. What I learned....

They're not particularly slim.
There's nothing special about them.
They go on sale all the time.
They offer a non-iron luxury model.
People "load up" on them, buying 10 at once.
People are largely only buying them for their daily "office uniform".

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
30+ pages of gibberish about slim dress shirts from some lame chain store. What I learned....

They're not particularly slim.
There's nothing special about them.
They go on sale all the time.
They offer a non-iron luxury model.
People "load up" on them, buying 10 at once.
People are largely only buying them for their daily "office uniform".

2cwjyoj.gif

cromulated

Reaction score
Originally Posted by raphaelargus
I can get one for you later today when I get home.

Be careful with it though. The ESFs have a much more suppressed chest/upper waist than I'm used to in my other dress shirts. The comparison picture of the cuts on the BB website that shows the more pronounced concavity to the ESF body is definitely present.

For a relative comparison, the 15.5 ESF has a very slightly slimmer body and much slimmer sleeves than a 15 SF.

many thanks. i think i can handle the slimmer body (i've a 38-40" chest but a 30" waist) but the slimmer sleeves could be a problem...

mmm

Reaction score
Well, I got a 37 chest and 14.5 is supposed to be for 37 chest so sizing up is want I want to. 15 is for 39 chest and 15.5 41. I don't wear a tie to the office everyday but I want to be able to wear a tie to my shirts. 15 for neck size would work pretty good too. Guess I'm trying with 15x33 extra slim fit then. You're kidding right? I said the slim fit was to blousy in the arms.
You should check their charts again. 14.5 = 36, 15 = 38, 15.5=40, 16 = 42

zightx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmm
You should check their charts again. 14.5 = 36, 15 = 38, 15.5=40, 16 = 42
What chart are you looking at?
screenshot20110305at110.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads