• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Mid-Range Suit? JAB Sig Gold? Jack Victor?

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius
How about this one:

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop...1_10050_102553

That one is unclear. If it were full canvas they would say full canvas. What full canvas chest means- does it have a padded lapel which makes it half canvas? Who knows. Are you guys gonna make me walk into a JAB store to check one out?

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
+1 to consider HF mainline and HSM GT if you're looking for solid cheapish suits. Obviously HF mainline is more expensive and you have to be more patient, though.

If you're not checking out Rack, Last Call, Off Fifth, Century 21, and similar stores, you're really not getting the full range of possibilities out there. Yes, they do see solids on occasion, yes, they do go fast once the prices dip that low.

My understanding is that Hickey Freeman mainline is full canvass.

Is the HSM GT half canvass? Full canvass? Their website says, " The American Classic features a classic silhouette with hand set sleeves to provide a natural shoulder and a floating canvas chest piece to maintain structure." (my bold)

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
HSM GT is supposed to be half canvas, but all the blazers I've seen have been fused. At Nordstroms. Only seen a couple, so suits and your blazers may vary.

The JAB Platinum is actually fully canvassed.

So why doesn't JAB advertise this fact?

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say go for Hugo Boss Selection suits as an alternative. Most (if not all) are half canvassed, use fine wool (Zegna, Barbera, Loro Piana, etc...) and look stylish. You can find them for around $500.

020-banker

Reaction score
Rant:

I really hate the guesswork that goes into determining which garments are fused, half-canvas, or full-canvas. It's one of the most important aspects of construction. Why isn't it automatic for vendors to disclose?

I realize that the "pinch test" can solve the issue, but this does not help for those buying over the internet, or for the uninitiated.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius
So why doesn't JAB advertise this fact?
Maybe because the average JAB would think full canvas means this
ls-sail1.jpg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by othertravel
I'd say go for Hugo Boss Selection suits as an alternative. Most (if not all) are half canvassed, use fine wool (Zegna, Barbera, Loro Piana, etc...) and look stylish. You can find them for around $500.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Where can Hugo Boss Selection (hand tailored, as suggested by phxlawstudent) be purchased for roughly $500? I would like to take a look at one.

What is the styling of Hugo Boss Selection?

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by afuturestrader
Thanks for the suggestion.

Where can Hugo Boss Selection (hand tailored, as suggested by phxlawstudent) be purchased for roughly $500? I would like to take a look at one.

The Vegas outlet had last season's BSHT for around $400? I forget, it wasn't too bad. Maybe it was $800... I know! huge difference, but it wasn't important to me.

Either case, the selection was crummy, only two patterns and no staples.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 020-banker
Rant:

I really hate the guesswork that goes into determining which garments are fused, half-canvas, or full-canvas. It's one of the most important aspects of construction. Why isn't it automatic for vendors to disclose?

I realize that the "pinch test" can solve the issue, but this does not help for those buying over the internet, or for the uninitiated.

Just go off this list and you'll be okay.

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=100

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by afuturestrader

Boss Selection is a great value for $500. I'd check out ebay, but also the outlet stores. I can send you pics of the 2 Boss Selection suits I have (they tend to hew towards the "classic look" (i.e. Mad Men style 3 piece and DB suits, super 120-150 fabrics.

The Made in Germany ones are by Regent, which is considered one of best garment houses in the world (comparable to Brioni?).

The made in Turkey ones are good two, and use reputable fabrics.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May be the upper end of the price range, but Brooks Brothers 1818 have served me well (Fitzgerald for me). Can often be had for $500 to $600 on sale. Less if you get lucky in your size or at an outlet.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by othertravel
Boss Selection is a great value for $500. I'd check out ebay, but also the outlet stores. I can send you pics of the 2 Boss Selection suits I have (they tend to hew towards the "classic look" (i.e. Mad Men style 3 piece and DB suits, super 120-150 fabrics. The Made in Germany ones are by Regent, which is considered one of best garment houses in the world (comparable to Brioni?). The made in Turkey ones are good two, and use reputable fabrics.
I am about 5 minutes from an Off-5th and Barney's outlet. In the recent past I have noticed Hugo Boss in both stores. Whether any staple solids were present I cannot recall. However, what does one look for on the label to avoid 100% fused and get half canvassed? It is as simple as looking for only "Hand Tailored" and "Selection" and avoid anything without both statements?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads