Best Mid-Range Suit? JAB Sig Gold? Jack Victor?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by afuturestrader, Feb 27, 2011.

1. afuturestrader

afuturestrader Member

Given the choice between the OP's original two brands, I'd have Jack Victor without question over anythign JAB.

Not sure where you are, but I occasionally see Hart Shcaffner and Marx suits on sale for less than your target price range... but not sure what their quality is now.

Hickey Freeman can definitely be had on sale for $500-$600 is you're a little bit patient.

Where / How can Hickey Freeman can be found for $500 - $600? Is this possible in staple solid colors like Navy?

2. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

3. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Senior member

Where / How can Hickey Freeman can be found for $500 - $600? Is this possible in staple solid colors like Navy?

I see them all the time at Nordstroms Rack. Once, I even saw a navy with navy stripe. So very close to solid navy, it was passable. They are priced at 500-550.

4. SilvioDante

SilvioDante Member

If you're in NYC, I'd check out the Charles Thyrwitt store. THey do nice looking / full canvass for relatively cheap, but I wouldn't buy without touching and trying on.

CT is full canvas (!)?

http://www.ctshirts.com/men's-suits...tton-suit?q=usddefault||ENA04MGY|||||||||||||

I believe "floating canvass chest piece" usually means half canvass.

5. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Really? I've never owned / worn a CT suit - and I guess, when it comes down to it, I was never sure which "Half" was canvassed on a half canvas. Is it a top/bottom or a front/back thing?

6. Sazerac

Sazerac Senior member

+1 on the Jack Victor. I haven't worn their suits, but a have a few sport coats I wear frequently.

Excellent price:quality ratio for new items at or around retail. You can frequently find them at discount though at those strange men's shops around town that sell obscure mostly Italian brands (that usually aren't very good.) Jack Victor stuff is also pretty durable. I've had some for five years or so that are still in decent shape.

7. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Senior member

Really? I've never owned / worn a CT suit - and I guess, when it comes down to it, I was never sure which "Half" was canvassed on a half canvas. Is it a top/bottom or a front/back thing?

Half canvas is always free floating at the top and fused on the bottom. At least I've never heard of any maker going the other way.

8. joneog

joneog Well-Known Member

I see them all the time at Nordstroms Rack. Once, I even saw a navy with navy stripe. So very close to solid navy, it was passable. They are priced at 500-550.

Last time I was at Century 21 they had quite a few HF for $500. Also a few decent looking HSM Gold Trumpeter for $300.

9. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

10. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

+1 to consider HF mainline and HSM GT if you're looking for solid cheapish suits. Obviously HF mainline is more expensive and you have to be more patient, though.

If you're not checking out Rack, Last Call, Off Fifth, Century 21, and similar stores, you're really not getting the full range of possibilities out there. Yes, they do see solids on occasion, yes, they do go fast once the prices dip that low.

11. jefferyd

jefferyd Senior member Dubiously Honored

I believe "floating canvass chest piece" usually means half canvass.
    No.

Chest piece = half canvas.

No.

12. SilvioDante

SilvioDante Member

13. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

So essentially, the CT description is a massive non-sequitur. Does anyone know if they are half or full canvass? Or fused with a floating chest piece since all jackets have a floating chest piece?

14. jefferyd

jefferyd Senior member Dubiously Honored

So essentially, the CT description is a massive non-sequitur. Does anyone know if they are half or full canvass? Or fused with a floating chest piece since all jackets have a floating chest piece?

They don't say half canvas or full canvas. They say "floating canvas chest piece". All chest pieces are made of canvas. All chest pieces are floating. This is a fused garment.

15. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

They don't say half canvas or full canvas. They say "floating canvas chest piece". All chest pieces are made of canvas. All chest pieces are floating. This is a fused garment.

How about this one:

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop...1_10050_102553