• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Subforum Cultural Divide: Mens Clothing vs. Streetwear

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
on NPR this morning i heard that things you do influence your friend and your friend's friend but then it stops.

mauro i know what you mean. availability definitely influences what people wear. anecdotally, i live near a polo outlet so i own a lot of ralph lauren. there are brands i like better but it's so cheap i can't justify the difference.

just like if i don't live near a good pizza place i'm not going to eat pizza often (waht up impolytone)

also, on originality, i think there is a good analogy in math. it's easy to take the integral of an elementary function if it's in your calc 1 textbook or whatever. however if you just write down whatever combination of elementary functions / operations then it's really unlikely that you can integrate. it's easy to come up with something original but it likely won't work. why not just stick to the textbook, since the midterm covers that material, you feel me?

word

Reaction score
Originally Posted by *#..
+1, this is exactly how I feel. If I see red/black flannel, I immediately think lumberjack. Such a bad look on anyone, don't know why they wear the stuff. I've viewed the what you're wearing thread (don't know/care for its abbreviation) a few times, but gave up on it for the same reasons as you. Too many pics of the same things you mentioned over and over, and I'm too lazy to look through all of it. Lots of unnecessary snarking in the discussion thread as well. Yeah, the MC posters are definitely older, and they have more traditional, preppy preferences.
I don't automatically think it's bad no matter what. Just that it's done as an afterthought too often so it doesn't seem interesting. I don't expect some mind blowing original ground breaking outfit, that's unrealistic. Just something with some thought put into it to make it more interesting than what's normally posted. Something subtle that makes you double take and be all "oh cool...". As for filtering out all the pmsing, I dunno I'm at a loss...
Originally Posted by Mauro
( you will see buffalo check for fall"11 and flannel out the yang)
oh lawd.

gwolf

Reaction score
i read mc and ask help for how to wear certain combos. i don't read sw&d but i look at the online stores recommended there. then i just look at the brands there and buy what i like. i don't mind following trends but i'm pretty limited to spring summer stuff due to my location so no peacoat for moi.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by *#..
Good to know I'm not the only one who thinks that whole thread is a disgrace. You're right on the distinct groups being present. I see a lot of new users posting about Lands End Canvas, which isn't the case for most other threads. What do you mean by the DTO thread on MC?

+1, this is exactly how I feel. If I see red/black flannel, I immediately think lumberjack. Such a bad look on anyone, don't know why they wear the stuff. I've viewed the what you're wearing thread (don't know/care for its abbreviation) a few times, but gave up on it for the same reasons as you. Too many pics of the same things you mentioned over and over, and I'm too lazy to look through all of it. Lots of unnecessary snarking in the discussion thread as well. Yeah, the MC posters are definitely older, and they have more traditional, preppy preferences.

I know this wasn't supposed to be a style discussion, but the indiscriminate hate toward all flannel/ check confuses me. Sure, some hipsters took it a little too far, but I don't understand why people think it can't be done in a subtle way without being "lumberjack." Say something like "its not my style" but to say it all looks bad come off as closed minded

Gutman

Reaction score
WAYWRN on MC is generally quite constructive and supportive, and relatively more postings than comments. WAYWT on SW&D can get a bit tiresome - extensive bitching, faux feuds, and fairly blunt comments (or opinions I should say). But that also makes it funny.

I suppose SW&D is more polarising - People on MC don't seem to feel threatened by someone else's take on classic clothing, but will still comment on objective issues like cut, fit etc. SW&D is more conformist IMO around particular brands and looks. By its nature, SW&D is more accessible to all-comers (everyone has jeans...), and there are some truly awful fits, so that might explain the short-fuse with noobs. MC noobs tend to have their act together a bit more, or at least be sort of on the right track.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I'm a little old for sw&d and not tacky enough for mc.

laugh.gif
I'm with you on this one.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thebunk
You really think that is the case?
Yes, absolutely.
Originally Posted by Gutman
SW&D is more conformist IMO around particular brands and looks.
Lol what? You sure you're not talking about MC? Men's Clothing discussion is mostly about the technical aspects of outfits, construction details and the like. However there is also what is thought to be a golden standard to looks, or at least, a set guide of rules that should not be deviated from. To keep it short, constructing an MC outfit is more about adhering to a singular aesthetic and deviating as little as possible from the rules. What confuses me is how people think SW&D has a cohesive singular aesthetic, look, or even preference. It doesn't, and the suggestion is absurd and just goes to show how quickly people generalize the entire forum. The attitude and nature of SW&D has changed a LOT over the past few years, versus MC which has changed little. The current discussion on SW&D is very different from discussion a few years ago. There's a lot more focus on designer brands, and different aesthetics. For instance, there's a LOT more discussion on Rick Owns, Julius, Margiela, Junya, etc. now than there was even a year ago. I'm not going to get into a big rant about how SF is changing and past it's "golden years" (don't believe in such a thing) so I'll just address the point directly. SW&D is less about following rules or adhering to a particular aesthetic and simply more about being expressive, getting outside of own's comfort zone, or at least being open minded to different looks. The worst part about MC is the narrow mindedness about what constitutes as a "good look" (IE: there's only one). I remember a lot of MC-ers criticizing a WAYWT of snake who was wearing stuff like Ann D, complaining about it's lack of structure.
facepalm.gif
One big difference I've noticed is that SW&D not only appreciates but also tends to applaud aesthetics that are outside their comfort zone where as an MC-er would reject and criticize it. This narrow mindedness really depresses me, considering that on a forum about clothing discussion such a large portion of the members shoot down any aesthetics that are not their own. If anything, I respect a member even more for attempting a bold and interesting look that is experimental vs. something completely bland, safe, and boring. Unfortunately a lot of douchey members don't share this view and I feel that this attitude can really stifle discussion sometimes, even chase off members (didn't chris leave because someone kept ragging on his skinny jeans or something??). MCers are fine with answering n00b questions because seriously what else would they sit around talking about? Adding to the 100+ page debate on black shoes? Discussing the merits of x button vs. y buttons, AGAIN? With SW&D there's always new trends, looks, seasons, designers, etc to talk about. The best part comes from that, people have different tastes so instead of everyone sitting around have a circle jerk and agreeing there can actually be some debate and discussion. Note: I criticized MC but I want to clarify that the majority of prominent, respected MCers are not this type at all. A lot of them are pretty ok with SW&D having a different look and admitting it's not their style, that's fine. BUT, there are also a LOT of douchey MC-ers ala chasingred who act as if they came from the heavens as some godly authoritarian on strict clothing guidelines and are quick to point out minuscule irrelevant details because it doesn't fit their rules when people just honestly don't care. TLDR---> MC celebrates its homogeneity in aesthetic tastes while SW&D thrives off the diversity of conflicting tastes.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lel ,brings up some interesting points.

I think people need to understand clothing better before they make a comment. If the comment is based on personal opinion that's one thing, you can't deny a person his opinion. It's another thing to comment on a factual issue , clearly be wrong about the fact but think you are right because you heard it form other members. That tends to happen a lot of both sides.
It drives me nuts when people get into arguments about clothing construction when both parties are wrong. Usually the person who posts the correct answers are shoved aside a lot of times because the louder poster ( who is wrong)shadows the other persons post.

Fashion changes and people need to change with fashion. Suits are being constructed in different ways now. Some better than others. The cost doesn't always reflect the quality of the work. The same goes for Denim and RTW.

It would be nice to be able for someone to ask a question and get a real honest answer not just .." Well I don't like it" that's not helping and it doesn't make either subforum any better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads