• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really. Who are we to tell you how to dress? What do you like? What best suits your personality? Generally when people look like they're trying too hard, it's because they're wearing clothing that doesn't really suit their personality.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
^^Go to stores and try stuff on.
thanks... I'm not a noob asking what fits. I get the 'fit'/shape aspect. I'm looking to understand where you guys find your aesthetic inspiration/direction and how strongly you adhere to a certain style, plus if you have any suggestions for where to start on one of the above concepts.

Originally Posted by aeglus
fyi imageshack.us is ******* horrible and forces the rest of the world to register and log in to view pictures hosted on their site (there are more reasons why they are horrible but that is some old, old drama) use http://www.imgur.com or something instead
I didn't know that was a problem. If I post the pics directly like the above can you see them? You don't have to login or anything (I don't have an account even).

Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
Not really. Who are we to tell you how to dress? What do you like? What best suits your personality?
I understand. I'm looking more for feedback on if I've misunderstood a 'look' there for example. and the most important thing I'm looking for is if I go with XYZ, basically do you have rec's for certain brands to look into or core pieces to get to start building that concept?

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I didn't know that was a problem. If I post the pics directly like the above can you see them? You don't have to login or anything (I don't have an account even).

well like I said, the rest of the world has to log in and register with their ****** page to view images hosted from their site or else be forced to see a golden frog frozen in an ice cube

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
thanks... I'm not a noob asking what fits. I get the 'fit'/shape aspect. I'm looking to understand where you guys find your aesthetic inspiration/direction and how strongly you adhere to a certain style, plus if you have any suggestions for where to start on one of the above concepts.
It's not about fitting, it's about seeing what actually looks good on you, what suits your frame, face, hair, etc. And we find our aesthetic inspiration from looking at clothes and people's outfits. Where else? You can only learn from observing and experimenting. It's not a lazy answer; it's a good answer. --- Pic of me and my girlfriend with Anna Sui :3
183945_10150099401262886_500232885_6506875_5459312_n.jpg
And a bunch of hilarious girls who traveled from Japan for the Anna Sui show
184854_168437146537242_100001128728059_341533_2912992_n.jpg

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah clothes are one area where "don't knock it til u tried it" actually means something.

coldforge

Reaction score
M-C:

To be honest, I don't really think that many of those are really even worthy of being called 'looks'; which is not to say that the above fits are bad, it's just that nearly all of them slot pretty smoothly into a pretty mainstream menswear steeze (except maybe the prep stuff, but then again, I hate prep). Just wearing a cardigan doesn't make someone more runway, any more than wearing a CPO makes someone a military dresser.

I also don't see a huge difference between that overall menswear look and what you're rocking right now; I think you might just be dressing a little more casually than you'd like. To be honest, if you bought a pair of wingtips and a pair of bluchers, and a couple good oxford shirts, it seems like you'd be 3/4 there already. But beyond that, I think that you could take any one of the anchor pieces from any of those shots that you particularly like—the commando sweater, the jacket, whatever—and integrate it with little difficulty.

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ This, pretty much. It's not like any of those are particularly out there, I could see any one of them being worn by the same dude on a different day.

Aesthetic direction talk:
I have none, gave up on that a while ago. I found that whenever I thought to myself, "Okay, I want to dress like (a post-apocalyptic bandit / mad scientist / exiled prince / whatever bullshit)" I felt confined. Now I just buy **** I enjoy and let any 'aesthetic direction' emerge organicaly. I have more fun now with how I dress and I'm happier with my purchases.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
my aesthetic is "will an explosion behind it look out of place?"

if the answer is yes then I shouldn't wear it

This is incredibly valid. To echo an above poster, most of the pictures you just posted integrated pretty seamlessly. In terms of brands, there are obviously a very large number that fall under the "slightly edgy but still classy menswear" umbrella that you seem to be carrying. I'm not really sure what you're actually "going for" as it all seems kind of quirky-tame? NDG, APC, Jil Sander, Engineered Garments, Club Monaco, zara - you'd probably find something you like from every one of those brands. That being said, why not check WAYWT (which you obviously do) and ask questions about brands?

I really wasn't trolling in my first post. And, as aeglus/unconctrol/gn have said, inspiration comes from everywhere.

coldforge

Reaction score
I guess my aesthetic is old-timey sepia photograph minus the steampunk, but that doesn't mean that all of my pieces are necessarily 'on message' at any one time. In practice, I very rarely go out head to toe in EG.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
my aesthetic is "will an explosion behind it look out of place?"
if the answer is yes then I shouldn't wear it

See this is cheating because it applies to pretty much any well put together waywt irrespective of steeze. Really all you have to be doing is walking towards the camera.

My current aesthetic direction seems to be whether it would pair well with nuclear fallout / characters from the Book of Eli... But I might try something different next year. Who knows.

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want a cool label under my username that says swagged out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads