Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theom-

theom- Senior member

I need to stop buying off B&S - here and sufu. My success rate has plummeted, and I am flipping way too much. I have only been having luck buying from actual retailers lately.

This, I think my success rate is like 25-35% at this point.

2. SPK

SPK Senior member

This doesn't really belong here, but does anyone know a good backpack for traveling? Prefer function over fashion. It also needs to fit ~1 week of clothes and maybe a few other things.

3. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

also i had a britney moment last night and shaved the sides of my head in the sink. I have a huge meeting with a buncha lawyers on Thursday. whoops.
    What on earth for? If you're paying them they probably won't care much.

4. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

This doesn't really belong here, but does anyone know a good backpack for traveling? Prefer function over fashion. It also needs to fit ~1 week of clothes and maybe a few other things.

Maybe one of those giant hiking bags?

5. sipang

sipang Senior member

I think I really like a lot of Balenciaga, and may buy more for summertime. I know that the egg bomber really only works on twiggish little dudes, but if I saw one in like a 54, I would buy that shit so fast.

you and me both, brozeur. you and me both...

6. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

What on earth for? If you're paying them they probably won't care much.

No. They want to pay me. And an economist.

7. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

As an expert witness?

8. Synthese

North Face dude, No lie. One of the bigger ones can easily fit a week's worth of clothing in there, very cheap too. I have a "Flight Series" for shit like that; it's been all over the world. If you want a pic lemme know.

9. ramp

ramp Senior member

need shoes?

augusta 1232 EUR
    [​IMG]

all saints 66 EUR
    [​IMG]

1. Buy wardrobe full of Topman, Asos Black, and All Saints.
    2. Post WAYWTs on sz.
    3. ???????
    4. Profit

fo real though, those All-Saints Augusta's look pretty good. In a small picture anyway.

10. Hartmann

Hartmann Senior member

personally I prefer to overpay for my clown shoes

11. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

not sure if this is the right place for it or if I should make it it's own thread...

my situation is this - based on browsing around here for the past few years I've taken my wardrobe back to basics, probably too basic actually. I have a decent amount of clothes, but very little personality amongst them. I have a range of jeans, khakies, plain v-necks, polos, v-sweaters and cardigans with a bit of outerwear and some mediocre shoes including chucks. I've pretty much got a few of every color in jeans, t's, sweater's, etc... My go to outfit is chucks, raw jeans, a polo and a sweater/cardigan. While it's a very easily mixed and matched wardrobe that fits well, I can't help but feel very uninspired by it all.

So my question for you is... where/how do you guys find your aesthetic direction? Is this something you proactively think about as you edit your wardrobe or buy new things? Do you have a certain look/style in mind? I'm highly considering just picking one specific type of 'look' and adding in a few anchoring pieces plus dropping out a few that are inconsistent.

thoughts?

12. Synthese

n Is this something you proactively think about as you edit your wardrobe or buy new things? Do you have a certain look/style in mind? I'm highly considering just picking one specific type of 'look' and adding in a few anchoring pieces plus dropping out a few that are inconsistent.

thoughts?

this. for pieces, though, not for life. i worry less about how disparate pieces will work together, and find that pieces I like from various brands tend to work together despite themselves. perhpas it's because I have an "aesthetic direction" in mind (or several), but I think that doing it on a piece-by-piece basis is less dangerous than people assume. How are you supposed to start out if not like that? But yes, I think about it a lot. I also rread a lot. that's where most of it comes from, i htink

13. coldforge

coldforge Senior member

Something that's really helped me is purposefully limiting the number of brands I buy. I have nothing against W+H, MMM, even R&B or a dozen others—but when I troll B&S I just more or less ignore them. I haven't sworn never to buy a Rag & Bone shirt or whatever, but when I'm looking to add to my wardrobe or just see what's available, I have a handful of labels that I'm going to have in mind specifically.

In terms of creating my look, it's not necessarily a matter of choosing one brand or one aesthetic and insisting on it. But one thing I would do is, say, look at one of those ridiculous 'staples' articles—you know, '30 items every man should have'. I would choose 1/3 of those and just ignore the rest. So for staples, for relatively neutral items like the ones you're describing, I actually have a pretty limited set, in fact. No t-shirts. One pair of black CPs, no other sneakers. No cardigans. No zip-ups. No boat shoes. Et cetera. Then, once I've established what subset of staples actually ARE essential for me, I can start adding more distinctive pieces, like Trickers or an EG vest. The limited palette of neutral, mix-and-match clothes gives me more focus when it comes to picking out items of greater interest.

I think the modern 'style blogger' emphasis on staples, Brooks Brothers, J Press, Steve McQueen, Cary Grant, etc., produces a really boring wardrobe. A lot of people end up feeling like it's their responsibility to get a pair of Sperrys, a pair of Clarks, a pair of PF Flyers, a J Press OCBD, a BB blazer, a Land's End down vest—and they end up with one of everything and no character in the bunch. Me, I've got nothing against Land's End vests, but a closet full of staples leaves a pretty dull palette.

14. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

clothing prices have really gotten out of hand.

15. coldforge

coldforge Senior member

Another thing I think helps is thinking about dressing in a sort of flow chart fashion. So if I want to wear my black Samis, I'm immediately thinking blacks and greys rather than browns and blues, I'm thinking boots or the aforementioned CPs rather than wingtips, et cetera. But the key there is that you should really end up with a pretty limited choice after you've gone through the flow chart. For instance, I have one pair of blue jeans that I'm wearing right now. I have lots of other jeans—black, black coated, grey, sorrel—but those all occupy different functional slots. So instead of having a bunch of different pairs of jeans that could do the same thing, I've only got one. This keeps things manageable. But it also keeps things from getting too generic. Since I know exactly what that one pair is in my wardrobe for, I can allow it to have a good amount of character. It doesn't have to perform all roles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.