• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistermidwester

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 951socal
I started to slow down thrifting because of how weird people act inside of them.
A lot of the women my age start talking to me and give me opinions on what i should buy.......
followed by "we never get guys under 30 in here are you single etc etc"

it's pretty awkward

Maybe you accidentally walked onto the set of "Cougar Town."

laugh.gif

hyakku

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Temujin
A few other pictures of the Versace.

That's a really slick coat, I just grabbed a Hugo Boss coat made out of baumwolle cotton that I really like. If you decide to part with the Versace let me know measurements and how much you're looking for, I've taken a liking to Versace after finding a pretty unique pair of jeans by them.

Mudhiker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 951socal
I started to slow down thrifting because of how weird people act inside of them.
A lot of the women my age start talking to me and give me opinions on what i should buy.......
followed by "we never get guys under 30 in here are you single etc etc"

it's pretty awkward

Meh. Be a man. Show em a smile and brighten their day. I don't mean take em in the back room, just be a good sport at the counter.
satisfied.gif

CasmirRadon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matstyleku
On another note, ran into a real sassy employee. I was standing there looking at the suits when she was trying to push a rack through the aisle. She says excuse me so I move out of the aisle into another one. But instead of going through, she stops and talks to her co-worker and starts re-arranging the suits at the end of the rack I was looking at. So I step back in and look at the suits some more. She then gives me all this attitude, even though she didn't do it, I could have sworn she put her hand up and gyrating her head around saying that I need to move. I tell her I did move and then you stopped to look at the suits.. she quickly shoots back that she wasn't looking at the suits, she doesn't shop here, she works here. All the time giving me all this attitude when I was being very polite.

Me in Goodwill the other day, looking at the suits.

Employee: "Excuse me kind sir, as you can see I am moving a giant cart down your isle, perhaps you could move aside so that I may continue?"

Me: "Why certainly! I will simply look at the shirts in the next isle for now."

After I look at the shirts I go to look at the suits... he had left a full 20+ feet of gigantic carts that literally filled the entire length and width of the suits isle. I search for an employee and ask about it.
"Oh, we need the space in the back room, so those are going to be there for about another half hour, sorry, nothing we can do about it."

matstyleku

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CasmirRadon

Employee: "Excuse me kind sir, as you can see I am moving a giant cart down your isle, perhaps you could move aside so that I may continue?"

After I look at the shirts I go to look at the suits... he had left a full 20+ feet of gigantic carts that literally filled the entire length and width of the suits isle. I search for an employee and ask about it.
"Oh, we need the space in the back room, so those are going to be there for about another half hour, sorry, nothing we can do about it."

haha.. what great luck. I should mention that she only stopped to talk to her co-worker and after telling me to move the second time, she did actually go through. I just didn't get the attitude.

Crass

Reaction score

Everything had been going great as I wandered through the rack of dress shirts at a distant Goodwill. I had been really excited at my possible finds, a handful of Faconnable and Ben Smith shirts. So I went to try them on. Now this particular Goodwill, I had not been to before. So you could imagine my surprise when I reached the changing rooms and was stunned.

There was just enough "door" to cover the bare essentials. Now, I'm relatively short at a towering 5'10 and I could see over the door with ease. And everyone else could see my head including up to my knees...

I took it like a champ and shrugged it off. Well... After I changed into my first outfit, I happened to glance over the door and make eye contact with an older gentleman staring at me a few feet away. We stared at each other for what seemed like a minute. He didn't flinch.

Could of sworn he licked his lips. All this happened with GW's trademark aroma of "I can't tell if someone farted or had a bowel movement in clothing" wafting through the air.

Those shirts didn't fit me.

I did pick up a Lanvin sportscoat that fits like a glove though.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's when you move several carts and block off the door and register.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
babababa.jpg
longwings.jpg
Say hello to my new vintage Florshein Imperiall longwings. Three...times...the sole! I'm basically just paying for shipping.
biggrin.gif
Will go great with my new Hickey Freeman x Goodwill sportcoat I nabbed for $1. Finally: luck!

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mudhiker
Meh. Be a man. Show em a smile and brighten their day. I don't mean take em in the back room, just be a good sport at the counter.
satisfied.gif

Yes. Just smile and make their day. It doesn't harm you or them.

Originally Posted by noobizor
babababa.jpg

longwings.jpg

Say hello to my new vintage Florshein Imperiall longwings. Three...times...the sole! I'm basically just paying for shipping.
biggrin.gif

Will go great with my new Hickey Freeman x Goodwill sportcoat I nabbed for $1.

Finally: luck!

I dont get it. Ebay doesnt pick up words that arent spelled correctly???

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nah, if a seller mispells the brand name or the type of shoe, etc., fewer people will find it, let alone bid on it. Here, the brand name was mispelled, the shoes were listed under 'shoe accessories', not 'shoes', there was no reserve, and the auction ended on a Saturday night -- kind of the perfect storm of good luck.
wink.gif
It always pays to check. (Ex: Canallee soot...
laugh.gif
)

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah! I saw a pair of Isaia shoes I wanted but someone swooped in and bought them. Argh! I though I could win with the minimum bid hahahhaha

951socal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mudhiker
satisfied.gif

haha, the thing is they just want someone to talk to, not like they're interested in making friends / hitting on anyone at work.

Crass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
babababa.jpg

longwings.jpg

biggrin.gif

Will go great with my new Hickey Freeman x Goodwill sportcoat I nabbed for $1.

Finally: luck!

Better yet, if they don't specify the brand at all.

- Mens Desert Trek Shoes -

Always pays to do a quick scan through the unspecified lot.

MacDaddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hyakku
That's a really slick coat, I just grabbed a Hugo Boss coat made out of baumwolle cotton that I really like. If you decide to part with the Versace let me know measurements and how much you're looking for, I've taken a liking to Versace after finding a pretty unique pair of jeans by them.
"Baumwolle" means cotton in German.

thebunk

Reaction score
I am in Phoenix for the next few days. I would appreciate it if anyone in the area could PM me some good spots to check out in the Phoenix\\Scottsdale area. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads