• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ahjota
Go S in Epaulet.

Also, the Ashland shirts are exclusive to Epaulet. They are darted, while typical Gitman Vintage shirts are not.

cool, appreciate it..

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slack tide
Hey EP experts, a couple questions if you would be so kind. Please excuse my laziness in not searching this thread but thought some folks might have a quick answer..

is there an substantive reason to go with the ashland/gitman shirt as seen here versus a comparable EP house brand shirt like seen here? I am very familiar with gitman and love their shirting but if I can get a similar shirt with a similar fit for a few bucks less, why not...(I don't mean to pit EP shirting against gitman, so not trying to start that talk..)

also, with respect to the house brand, if I am a S in gitman (perfect slim fit), S in gant (perfect fit, not quite as slim, but one my favorites), boO S (chest button somewhat stressed but M is too big) would I be a size S in EP house shirting as hyperlinked above? I know the "'s are listed but sometimes you feel more comfortable with human confirmations..
redface.gif
thanks.. I'm thinking I should be a small and not an xs..

looking for some work clothes..hence all the blue safe stuff.

The Gitman shirt you linked to is oxford cloth, and I loooooove their oxfords. It has a certain heft that's to die for. If you like the pattern, I can't recommend that shirt enough.

As for sizing, I'm a S in both Epaulet and Gitman.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
The Gitman shirt you linked to is oxford cloth, and I loooooove their oxfords. It has a certain heft that's to die for. If you like the pattern, I can't recommend that shirt enough.

As for sizing, I'm a S in both Epaulet and Gitman.

Thanks as well, kg. Think I may do the gitman..

thebunk

Reaction score
Just purchased a pair of Alden Brixton Wingtip Boots from Mike and team. Cannot wait for them to arrive.

Epaulet team - thanks for answering all of my questions,

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thebunk
Just purchased a pair of Alden Brixton Wingtip Boots from Mike and team. Cannot wait for them to arrive.

god i with those brixtons had the speed hook eyelets ... thats the only reason why i havent kopped yet. i assume not but mike is there a way to change/custom that one aspect?!?!?!?

Rikkar501

Reaction score
Just ordered the rivet chinos, first buy with EP so pretty excited!

enigma77

Reaction score
Hey EP experts, a couple questions if you would be so kind. Please excuse my laziness in not searching this thread but thought some folks might have a quick answer.. is there an substantive reason to go with the ashland/gitman shirt as seen here versus a comparable EP house brand shirt like seen here? I am very familiar with gitman and love their shirting but if I can get a similar shirt with a similar fit for a few bucks less, why not...(I don't mean to pit EP shirting against gitman, so not trying to start that talk..) also, with respect to the house brand, if I am a S in gitman (perfect slim fit), S in gant (perfect fit, not quite as slim, but one my favorites), boO S (chest button somewhat stressed but M is too big) would I be a size S in EP house shirting as hyperlinked above? I know the "'s are listed but sometimes you feel more comfortable with human confirmations..
redface.gif
thanks.. I'm thinking I should be a small and not an xs.. looking for some work clothes..hence all the blue safe stuff. edit; i understand the two shirts linked arent exactly comparable aside from the "work appropriate" aspect and being blue and non-offensive...but I guess just more wondering if house EP shirts have treated ya'll well and are a nice alternative in lieu of spending 165 on yet another gitman..

Originally Posted by kgmessier
The Gitman shirt you linked to is oxford cloth, and I loooooove their oxfords. It has a certain heft that's to die for. If you like the pattern, I can't recommend that shirt enough. As for sizing, I'm a S in both Epaulet and Gitman.
I have shirts from both the Epaulet house line and the Ashland line; they're both great, but the fit is slightly different. Go with the measurements on the site to determine your size, although you've got some advice already. I have that particular Ashland oxford you linked to and love it. It's an unbelievable fabric -- deadstock, I think? I've been happy with both lines of shirting, but just had to point out that that particular Ashland oxford is really crucial, and would work well in the office (did for me).

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rikkar501

dude, might as well pick out your second color right now cuz you're gonna love em.

I bough the golden khaki this week and went back for the herringbone

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thebarsmydestination
It maybe goes without saying in this thread, but--

Mike and Epaulet run a business basically without compare. I got hooked up with a replacement Tanner Goods clip (for one I lost) off the mannequin in the window free of cost. There's nobody in the industry who does it better. Thanks, guys.

It was my pleasure!

Originally Posted by dra
Any chance some of the current shirting will be re-stocked? Or will it be all new for the spring?

At the very least I'm guessing the "standards" (e.g., the oxford button down collars) and the like will be re-stocked...

At the moment, the only existing styles that we're moving forward with are the Chambray Utility shirts - which are returning in blue and red, and we're adding white. For the oxfords, I'm just doing the point collars for the moment, but we should a blue oxford B/D in our Ashland line.

I also got in a pretty awesome blue oxford BD from Ben Sherman Modern Classics. Not to be confused with mainline Ben Sherman, this is a small capsule collection with radically better fabrics and construction. We're the only US stockist for the season and the shirt is a complete repro of their 1960's oxford model. It has a squared off bottom though. We'll get it online next week.

Oh, and you won't believe how f-ing good the navy Millerain waxed Modern Classics parka is. I'll see if I can shoot a fit pic today - the thing is amazing.

Hey EP experts, a couple questions if you would be so kind. Please excuse my laziness in not searching this thread but thought some folks might have a quick answer..

is there an substantive reason to go with the ashland/gitman shirt as seen here versus a comparable EP house brand shirt like seen here? I am very familiar with gitman and love their shirting but if I can get a similar shirt with a similar fit for a few bucks less, why not...(I don't mean to pit EP shirting against gitman, so not trying to start that talk..)

also, with respect to the house brand, if I am a S in gitman (perfect slim fit), S in gant (perfect fit, not quite as slim, but one my favorites), boO S (chest button somewhat stressed but M is too big) would I be a size S in EP house shirting as hyperlinked above? I know the "'s are listed but sometimes you feel more comfortable with human confirmations..
redface.gif
thanks.. I'm thinking I should be a small and not an xs..

looking for some work clothes..hence all the blue safe stuff.

edit; i understand the two shirts linked arent exactly comparable aside from the "work appropriate" aspect and being blue and non-offensive...but I guess just more wondering if house EP shirts have treated ya'll well and are a nice alternative in lieu of spending 165 on yet another gitman..

No problem. In overall stitching and quality, our shirts are very much on an even plain.

Ashland is our exclusive capsule collection with Gitman. The fit is a tweaked version of the Gitman Vintage fit - with the biggest change being rear back darts. I started this line for three reasons:

1. Gitman's single-needle tailoring is among some of the best in the world. Back in the days, I ordered a TON of Gitman Brothers as a buyer for Saks, and I was always impressed with how the shirts held up against comparable and much more expensive pieces from Italy and the UK.

2. Some of our customers get a better overall fit from Gitman Vintage rather than Epaulet shirting, but were looking for the more dressed-up fabrics that we use in the Epaulet line. So this is a great option for them.

3. Gitman has great European fabrics in their inventory, and the Ashland shirts give us access to them. For the most part, the increased price is due to higher priced fabrics and mother of pearl buttons.

So, it's just another option for quality US-made shirting. Customers would generally choose to buy it due to either an exclusive fabric or a preference for the fit. But in terms of wear, washing, and fit, you'll be equally happy with either Epaulet or Ashland. We don't take no mess up in here.

Originally Posted by dsoren
Holy **** Mike, you guys are killing it with S/S offerings. That mashup tartan is dope. Would look fresh with the orange GANT parka...

Haha, steez overload with that pairing! Don't even want to think about our incoming sand suede Yuketens with that!

Originally Posted by thebunk

Thank you sir! Really appreciate your order, and we shipped that out for you this morning.

Originally Posted by dinted voice
Mike. Sent you a pm about an Alden order.

Hit you back!

Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
god i with those brixtons had the speed hook eyelets ... thats the only reason why i havent kopped yet. i assume not but mike is there a way to change/custom that one aspect?!?!?!?

Ah, unfortunately no - our Brixton specs have no speed eyelets. Got to protect those trouser hems.

Originally Posted by Rikkar501

Thank you!

dinted voice

Reaction score
Everyone already knows this, but Mike and Adele run a top notch operation. They were a pleasure to deal with in my first purchase.

Can't wait for the new madras and that navy millerain jacket sounds promising!

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dinted voice
Everyone already knows this, but Mike and Adele run a top notch operation. They were a pleasure to deal with in my first purchase.

Can't wait for the new madras and that navy millerain jacket sounds promising!

Thank you sir!

And I couldn't resist - we took some quick iphone shots of the Millerain piece. It's really incredible - especially for the money. I don't have the final pricing yet, but it's around $400. We got the US exclusive for it. The details are insane.

5456452269_09efd7dd13.jpg

See full size

5457061452_bf62443768.jpg

See full size

5456454781_460f32f3b7.jpg

See full size

5456456097_774153d05a.jpg

See full size

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
could i ask if the walt trousers are constantly stocked? or do new ones (materials) come out every season, making the ones offered this season obsolete..
thanks guys
feel free to
facepalm.gif
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads