• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone dart or take in the sides of their own shirts?

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matsui
I made a mold of my upper torso. I read an article about how to make one using duct tape, where you wear an old t-shirt, and have someone wrap you in about 3 layers of tape, then you cut it off and tape it back together and stuff it and you're left with an exact mold of yourself.

That's so sigworthy.

either/or

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
That's so sigworthy.

I guess you're ready for the plastic wrap clone then
wink.gif

plasticclone.jpg

Oh, and btw, here's a couple of clone recepies more.

Zackb911

Reaction score
So my machine came on Friday and I finally got a chance to set it up and play with it today. My project was a pair of PRL Chinos which were nice but a Loose/Baggy fit with an inseam several inches too long. My goal was to make them slimmer fitting, slightly tapered, and hem them. Total Success! This was my first time ever sewing and I had no help, it did take awhile with the learning curve though.
IMG_0077.jpg
IMG_0078.jpg

either/or

Reaction score
-looking good from what we can see. Nothing beating that sense of accomplishment, eh?
cheers.gif
...and no euro-hem for the pants I see, very daring
bounce2.gif
Be sure to have that camera & mirror nearby when you try a couple of shirts...
lurker[1].gif

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by either/or
bounce2.gif

I just looked up what that is. Looks like it would be inferior to the proper way.

either/or

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
I just looked up what that is. Looks like it would be inferior to the proper way.
It is, although it preserves the original seam - good if it has any unique properties that can't be re-created. (wear, stitching etc). And, of course, it's reversible.

Zackb911

Reaction score
Originally Posted by either/or
-looking good from what we can see. Nothing beating that sense of accomplishment, eh?
cheers.gif

bounce2.gif

Be sure to have that camera & mirror nearby when you try a couple of shirts...
lurker[1].gif

I've seen a few videos on the Euro hem, I'd do it for jeans but these were just my test pants. I think I may attempt some shirts today and if I do I'll try to take some pics.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone found a great video on flat felled seams? I have been a little confused by the text stuff I've read.

Mudhiker

Reaction score
After reading this thread I rummaged around in my storage unit and dug out my trusty $60 Brother sewing machine. (I used to have a nice heavy old $10 yardsale Singer but I think my sister has it now.) For anyone who doesn't sew very much, remember to put in a new needle frequently and oil your machine following the instructions in the manual after EVERY SINGLE USE. It will last a long time and your sewing will go better.

Anyway, on to the shirt altering... I have a large number of 16.5x35 Lands' End dress shirts. They fit fine but have a lot of extra fabric. They do offer the "Tailored" fit which is a bit slimmer, but it usually costs several dollars more per shirt. Meh. I'm a cheapskate.

Turned a shirt inside out and did a quick trial basting job with safety pins. Ideally I'd do a tapered 1-1.75 inch adjustment on sleeves and one inch down each side seam. But, after fiddling with pins all over the place I realized that my sewing machine has a nice little ruler built into it marking one inch. So a quick trip around each side of the shirt/sleeve at a one inch spacing, with a taper to the cuff, and shazaaam! Fit is much improved. I haven't even bothered with trimming out the extra seam allowance yet. Did one more shirt and it is also far far better. I could get more complicated and take more out of the sleeves, but one inch per side is so much better on these ~$20 shirts that I'm just going to do a bunch more the same way. Takes about 5 minutes per shirt once the bobbin is wound.

Hooray!

I wonder if something similar can be done with khakis? Slim up the legs a bit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads