• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
the other night was this. $15 and very good, I liked this. Deceptively strong tannins:
2422210150043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

And then I went a little overboard tonight, I meant to spend $30 but ended up dropping $80.

Good champs here. I'm 50/50 on the style, just based off of my personal preferences. It has that great vibrancy of a blanc de blanc (love), but also a touch of that Krug-ish oak (sometimes I'm not as big of a fan, in this one I can deal):
2139896000043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

And this. Decanting now, have not tasted.
2528332220043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rogueschateauneuf.jpg
shea.jpg
The Fortia Chateaneuf was the weakest I've tasted so far. Still a decent wine, but not anywhere near the vaunted Chateauneuf depth of flavour and sophistication. $80 (restaurant price). The Shea Pinot was DOA. A $30 dud. Not corked, just meh. It didn't get better through the bottle. Nice colour, but zero nose, bland taste, with a little alcohol forward. I'm beginning to worry about the Willamette Valley. Only the Maysara stands out. The other 4 or 5 I've had pale to RRVs. I'll have to do some more research and take your valuable suggestions. But, like WA, Oregon is not well represented at the LCBO. So, $200 on wine this week, and only one good bottle. A Burgundy!! Two WA Syrahs and a Taz sparkler for a gathering tomorrow night. Fingers crossed.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drank an '06 Beaucastel Chateauneuf-Du-Pape last night. Highly recommend it. Not as good as the vaunted '07 but still a great wine.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
I'm beginning to worry about the Willamette Valley. Only the Maysara stands out. The other 4 or 5 I've had pale to RRVs. I'll have to do some more research and take your valuable suggestions. But, like WA, Oregon is not well represented at the LCBO.

I kind of feel the same way. I've always thought Oregon was an underachiever or overhyped or something, I don't know. The only wines I've had from there that I enjoyed were a few late 90s Belle Pente pinots, and Sine Qua Non's first effort, which I think was a 98. Everything else has just been meh.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Wow, I've had nothing but good luck with Willamette. Cardwell Hills is a great value Pinot, should be able to get for about $25. Beaux Freres is expensive but I like their Upper Terrace and Willamette blend. Shea Vineyards, while I've never his wine, I've had his grapes by other producers and always been happy. Chehelam is a good producer of both Pinot and Chard.

You can always try something from the Dundee Hills area, like a Domaine Drouhin (same family known in Burgundy wine).

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Wow, I've had nothing but good luck with Willamette. Cardwell Hills is a great value Pinot, should be able to get for about $25. Beaux Freres is expensive but I like their Upper Terrace and Willamette blend. Shea Vineyards, while I've never his wine, I've had his grapes by other producers and always been happy. Chehelam is a good producer of both Pinot and Chard.

You can always try something from the Dundee Hills area, like a Domaine Drouhin (same family known in Burgundy wine).

Actually, Pio, I have had the Drouhin and Beaux Freres. Thx for jogging my memory. As you say, both very good. And I love Maysara's offerings. I guess I was just so bummed at the Shea. But, as you know, the LCBO is sketchy at best with consistency, especially with OR and WA. It's not feast or famine, more like quite full and famine!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I am sad to hear that Shea didn't make a good wine. I was hoping to try it given how good his grapes are.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
2008 Pinot Noir Alexana Dundee Hills. This is very nice and smooth. Getting stewed dark cherries, pepper and spice with a little mushroom undertones. Acidity is bright and lends to a goodly finish. At $38, I highly approve.

Neb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia

So, $200 on wine this week, and only one good bottle. A Burgundy!!

You do realize that LCBO will exchange the wine if you don't like it right? Just bring it back and they'll refund your money (I was told this directly from the LCBO on Queens Quay in Toronto.

Although it may be hard to pour back into the bottle after it's been in the decanter...

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had another bottle of The Sum last night for V-Day! Just love this stuff for the price!

1297737782176.jpg

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Last night we popped a bottle of Veuve La Grande Dame 1996. My gf got this as a gift several years ago and she had it stashed away. She didn't really know what it was, and I had never really looked at it, but I knew she had a nice bottle she was saving for some special occassion. She mentioned it last night and I found the bottle and looked it over. It occurred to me that it might be past it's prime, so that spurred us to go ahead and open it. Alas, I think we were a bit too late. It was completely drinkable, but on the sour and yeasty side, and starting to get a little bit flat. Googling around, I gather this was a particularly good vintage, so I guess we blew it. I've never really had great champagne and I suppose I still haven't.
-1-1.jpg

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Last night we popped a bottle of Veuve La Grande Dame 1996. My gf got this as a gift several years ago and she had it stashed away. She didn't really know what it was, and I had never really looked at it, but I knew she had a nice bottle she was saving for some special occassion. She mentioned it last night and I found the bottle and looked it over. It occurred to me that it might be past it's prime, so that spurred us to go ahead and open it. Alas, I think we were a bit too late. It was completely drinkable, but on the sour and yeasty side, and starting to get a little bit flat. Googling around, I gather this was a particularly good vintage, so I guess we blew it. I've never really had great champagne and I suppose I still haven't.

this should be absolutely alive and will go for many more year. The question is - how did you store it?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
this should be absolutely alive and will go for many more year. The question is - how did you store it?

Originally Posted by iammatt
Aged champagne can be flat and yeasty. Not a bad thing.

I think she stored it poorly - she thinks it got left in a hot car at one point. While I'm not an expert, I trust my palate enough to believe that this wasn't quite right. Like I said, it was completely drinkable, but it was just out of sorts. The yeastiness was an interesting component, taken on it's own, but the flavors were out of balance and lacked elegance. Not sure how else to describe it. I've had very good wine on a few occasions and I was always stuck by how they were so complex but still so composed and balanced. This was complex but not at all composed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads