The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. sleekblackroadster

sleekblackroadster Senior member

Try Dogtown, Oldvine and Juvenile. Best QPRs, IMO.

thanks! put in my order today for 6 bottles.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

thanks! put in my order today for 6 bottles.

[​IMG]

3. pstoller

pstoller Senior member

I think she stored it poorly - she thinks it got left in a hot car at one point. While I'm not an expert, I trust my palate enough to believe that this wasn't quite right. Like I said, it was completely drinkable, but it was just out of sorts. The yeastiness was an interesting component, taken on it's own, but the flavors were out of balance and lacked elegance. Not sure how else to describe it. I've had very good wine on a few occasions and I was always stuck by how they were so complex but still so composed and balanced. This was complex but not at all composed.

Yes, it sounds like poor storage to me. I'm not a huge fan of VC NV (it's OK, just overpriced), but La Grande Dame '96 is a whole 'nother animal. Properly stored, it should remain exceptional for many years to come.

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Halp! Ok wine guys I need 2 recommendations please - I have to go to a drunken lunch and I'm supposed to bring a Shiraz and Sirah. I know nothing about either one of these varieties so could you all recommend me a few bottles? Preferably under $20. Thanks.

5. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Halp! Ok wine guys I need 2 recommendations please - I have to go to a drunken lunch and I'm supposed to bring a Shiraz and Sirah. I know nothing about either one of these varieties so could you all recommend me a few bottles? Preferably under $20. Thanks.

Well first, they are the same varietal. Shiraz is the Aussie name for Syrah.

6. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

When you say Sirah, are you talking about Petite Sirah? Because this actually is a different grape from syrah/shiraz.

7. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Two WA Syrahs (one Columbia Valley, the other, Horse heaven Hills) and a McLaren Vale pink sparkler. Each, $25. Each, serviceable. The Taltarni was quite a pleasant surprise.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

You do realize that LCBO will exchange the wine if you don't like it right? Just bring it back and they'll refund your money (I was told this directly from the LCBO on Queens Quay in Toronto.

Although it may be hard to pour back into the bottle after it's been in the decanter...

Yes, thanks. I only return if it's spoiled. A wine not to my taste? My poor research/choice.

9. Hannerhan

Hannerhan Senior member

Anyone on the list for Derenoncourt? His 2007's should be coming out in the next couple of weeks and I was hoping that someone might have tried some of them already?

I am a big fan of the Lake County 2006 Cab and am considering going in for more variety this year.

http://www.derenoncourtcalifornia.com/page.php?pid=23

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I think shiraz has connotations of new world (cali and aus) big jammy flavors whereas syrah brings to mind more new world flavors specifically northern rhone

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Well first, they are the same varietal. Shiraz is the Aussie name for Syrah.
    Didn't know that. Thanks.
    When you say Sirah, are you talking about Petite Sirah? Because this actually is a different grape from syrah/shiraz.
    I, quite honestly, have absolutely no idea. The guy hosting the booze lunch said his favorites are Shiraz and Syrah. Thought I'd get one of each.
    I think shiraz has connotations of new world (cali and aus) big jammy flavors whereas syrah brings to mind more new world flavors specifically northern rhone
    This is way out of my league. Although, I will say that jammy sounds tasty.
    Two WA Syrahs (one Columbia Valley, the other, Horse heaven Hills) and a McLaren Vale pink sparkler. Each, $25. Each, serviceable. The Taltarni was quite a pleasant surprise. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Those look pretty but I'm aiming to stay below $20 each since I'm picking up two. Even if they're not the best thing ever, big and fruity should suffice.

12. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

DAMN! DAMN, DAMN, DAMN, DAMN!
    I got an email from Martinelli and they gave me an allocation...I'm sure they're not all that exclusive but still!!! Though there are not any Jackass Hill Zins or Moonlight Ranch Pinots there is the Zio Tony Ranch and Bondi Home Ranch Pinots which I love very much....I hate being broke [​IMG]

13. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

The guy hosting the booze lunch said his favorites are Shiraz and Syrah. Thought I'd get one of each. ... Those look pretty but I'm aiming to stay below $20 each since I'm picking up two.

You might think about getting a $35 dollar bottle rather than two <$20 bottles. It wouldn't be the worst thing, either, just to go to a local wine store and ask what the guy recommends. Part of the problem is just finding the things that other people recommend.

14. pscolari

pscolari Senior member

Peay mailer is out today Pio.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Hmm, wonder if the Peay has hit my house yet? We'll see [​IMG]