• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alfani jacket construction?

trigirdbers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
It is Macy's brand. Fused. Will not last long. They don't look good to begin with.

I have 2 Hugo Boss suits that have lasted for years and are fused (I think). What makes Macy's different?

bjornb17

Reaction score
alf.jpg
ani

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
at $200-300 it is a suit.
if it fits, it will be fine.
is it a great suit? no.
butmake sure it fits.
a well fitted shirt and a nice tie and you will look fine.
when you are ready to spend a little more money, shop somewhere other then Macys

trigirdbers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
at $200-300 it is a suit. if it fits, it will be fine. is it a great suit? no. butmake sure it fits. a well fitted shirt and a nice tie and you will look fine. when you are ready to spend a little more money, shop somewhere other then Macys
Yah, I'd prefer not to kick up the price of the suits until I have a job lined up. I bought the suit and took it to a very good tailor (the client in front of me was working with the proprietor to fix a bespoke Astor and Black). I kinda felt dirty giving him the Alfani, but, by the time he was done pinning here and there, I could tell that this suit is going to be something special - at least until it falls apart. Hopefully, by that time I'll be able to spend a bit more.

trigirdbers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
at $200-300 it is a suit.
if it fits, it will be fine.
is it a great suit? no.
butmake sure it fits.
a well fitted shirt and a nice tie and you will look fine.
when you are ready to spend a little more money, shop somewhere other then Macys

Yah, I'd prefer not to kick up the price of the suits until I have a job lined up. I took it to a very good tailor (the client in front of me was working with the guy to fix a bespoke Astor and Black). I kinda felt dirty giving him the Alfani, but, by the time he was done pinning here and there, I could tell that this suit is going to be something special (at least until it falls apart).

How long you think it will last if I wear it once a week?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trigirdbers
What are they, fused, half canvas, full canvas?

How long do they last?

the suits are fused and will last you a good while if you wear it even once a week. itll last you a few dry cleans as well.
theyre perfect starter suits. they have a decent cut and if you take it to a tailor you can make it a bit smashing looking ive seen a guy who wore one to a wedding ( i know good looks trust me) and found out he just took his alfani suit to some tailor and got worked on it. plus he 's a good looking guy anyways.

i can find most on sale if you wait a while to around a good 120 dollars or so for a full 2 piece suit.

trigirdbers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
the suits are fused and will last you a good while if you wear it even once a week. itll last you a few dry cleans as well.
theyre perfect starter suits. they have a decent cut and if you take it to a tailor you can make it a bit smashing looking ive seen a guy who wore one to a wedding ( i know good looks trust me) and found out he just took his alfani suit to some tailor and got worked on it. plus he 's a good looking guy anyways.

i can find most on sale if you wait a while to around a good 120 dollars or so for a full 2 piece suit.

I got it for 199, so not too bad. I tend to like to get my suits dry cleaned a lot, how many times do you think I can have the suit cleaned?

As far as the tailor, yah, the jacket won't be too bad, the pants are a disaster - I'm hoping that this guy is as magical as advertised.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trigirdbers
I got it for 199, so not too bad. I tend to like to get my suits dry cleaned a lot, how many times do you think I can have the suit cleaned?

As far as the tailor, yah, the jacket won't be too bad, the pants are a disaster - I'm hoping that this guy is as magical as advertised.

if your dry cleaners are competent, you should be able to dry clean them about 4 or 5 times until they start looking not decent. but you dont really have to dry clean (unless got dirty) unless once a season perhaps.
199 is not bad. i can get them that cheap because of my wife's employee discount (and i can find them a bit cheaper with harder look)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads