• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for Tom: will Alden tell you when the special makeup shortwings will be available or is it a standard "six to eight months" and they just show up? Thanks

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PorterInjax
Question for Tom: will Alden tell you when the special makeup shortwings will be available or is it a standard "six to eight months" and they just show up? Thanks

in the comments on his blog Tom said 6-8 months

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PorterInjax

They tell me when they're ready. Recently Alden has been taking 2-3 months just to confirm orders, then 4-6 months to make. The larger the order, the longer it takes as well since they are normally made in batches.

geoffmartin17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i pre-ordered some NST plaza boots from Jgilbert in mid-december, and they quoted me 9 months
frown.gif

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
They tell me when they're ready. Recently Alden has been taking 2-3 months just to confirm orders, then 4-6 months to make. The larger the order, the longer it takes as well since they are normally made in batches.

Thanks Tom. I knew it was going to be quite a wait but was curious about the process.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma77
Tom is the Nassau blucher yours exclusively? IMO it's way better looking than the traditional Alden PTB. Would be interested in seeing much more of this shoe (in a sleeker last, maybe?). It's fantastic.

Nothing is "exclusive" per say. I agree, on the Plaza last would be very nice. It's probably something I will order very soon.

phantomx48

Reaction score
Received two pairs of Shoe Mart irregulars over the weekend, and I was very surprised to find that they did not have any markings that would show they were seconds. One boot was clearly damaged (and will be going back), so that one had an obvious flaw, but the other pair was a shell boot, in pristine condition with no flaw that I could see.

Neither pair had any stamps on the inside, or on the sole, as I have seen in the past. They even came in the regular green Alden box with the proper labels.

This is a little bit concerning to me since they could easily be passed off as first quality. . .especially on eBay, FS threads, etc.

Anyone come across this lately as well, or did I just get "lucky"?

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phantomx48
Received two pairs of Shoe Mart irregulars over the weekend, and I was very surprised to find that they did not have any markings that would show they were seconds. One boot was clearly damaged (and will be going back), so that one had an obvious flaw, but the other pair was a shell boot, in pristine condition with no flaw that I could see.

Neither pair had any stamps on the inside, or on the sole, as I have seen in the past. They even came in the regular green Alden box with the proper labels.

This is a little bit concerning to me since they could easily be passed off as first quality. . .especially on eBay, FS threads, etc.

Anyone come across this lately as well, or did I just get "lucky"?

Sounds like you got lucky. Which shoes did you get?

phantomx48

Reaction score
Originally Posted by interlockingny
Sounds like you got lucky. Which shoes did you get?

405 Indy, which was very "irregular" (inch long cut in the leather uppers) so it's going back, and the second was a #8 Shell Captoe Boot with no visible flaws.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phantomx48
405 Indy, which was very "irregular" (inch long cut in the leather uppers) so it's going back, and the second was a #8 Shell Captoe Boot with no visible flaws.

How did you come across the irregulars?

As a few of us have himmed and hawed about, we haven't received the emails.

phantomx48

Reaction score
I wasn't getting the e-mails either for a few months, so I just called them up and let them know to send me the latest one. Got it the same day.

phailing101

Reaction score
Originally Posted by geoffmartin17
Yeah, i pre-ordered some NST plaza boots from Jgilbert in mid-december, and they quoted me 9 months
frown.gif

Yup, I pre-ordered some LW cordovan plaza #8 with commando sole from jgilbert and they're telling me Sept delivery. That's fine, they'll be perfect for Fall.

Thor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Nothing is "exclusive" per say. I agree, on the Plaza last would be very nice. It's probably something I will order very soon.

Tom- your website says the Nassau has a "slightly different plain toe pattern"

Can you explain? I sorta thought a plain toe was pattern-less- and cannot really see a difference between your shoe and a standard PTB (as far as the plain toe goes)

Thanks!

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thor
Tom- your website says the Nassau has a "slightly different plain toe pattern"

Can you explain? I sorta thought a plain toe was pattern-less- and cannot really see a difference between your shoe and a standard PTB (as far as the plain toe goes)

Thanks!

a very nice pictorial was posted about a month back which shows the difference between a standard PTB and a Nassau PTB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads