***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Which is the sleeker/more-modern last between the Barrie and Grant?

I am going to pick up a pair of cap-toe cordovan boots, I'd ideally get them on the Plaza last, but can't find them in stock anywhere. Would like to buy the closest comparable.

Grant is longer and sleeker. TTS in width, slightly too long in toe box

2. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

^ Actually, based on my discussions with Alden salespeople, the Barrie is the longest of all the lasts. It is also pretty bulbous in the toe box, and not as sleek as the grant last.

In terms of sizing, I measure a 9D on the brannock and my 8.5D cap toe boots on the grant last from Unionmade fit to perfection.

Just my opinion, but if you want something on a modern/sleek last, wait for the plaza. You will end up getting something on the Barrie or grant and when the plaza is available somewhere you will be second guessing yourself. Might want to try calling Yenni at JGilbert. They do a lot of plaza makeups.

Just my $.02

3. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

Just my opinion, but if you want something on a modern/sleek last, wait for the plaza. You will end up getting something on the Barrie or grant and when the plaza is available somewhere you will be second guessing yourself. Might want to try calling Yenni at JGilbert. They do a lot of plaza makeups.

Just my $.02

While that is sound advice and I agree that it is a modern, sleek last (Plaza), I have found that it is not a great last for wider feet. I have a similar issue with the Aberdeen last in terms of fit. For people like myself that border closer to "E" than "D" in the width, I find the Grant last as a great alternative to the Barrie. It is just as comfortable in the toe box as it is in the width, yet it does have a sleeker look than the Barrie. Sleek enough for me at least.

So I just wanted to add that caveat for the wider footed folks out there, looking for a nice pair of Alden shoes.

4. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Just my opinion, but if you want something on a modern/sleek last, wait for the plaza.

Just my opinion, but if you want something sleek consider other brands! [​IMG]

5. cimabue

cimabue Senior member

As gunboats go, the Barrie is sleek. That's why I like it. I'm further pushing for a lower profile by squeezing my 10.5 Ds (Brannock) into 9.5 Barries, mostly. The 10 D in Barrie is a little sloppy for me.

6. edubs01

edubs01 Senior member

So I am thinking of picking up a pair of suede chukka boots.
    For peeps that own them, have you had any issues with it rubbing your ankles in a weird way.
    I remember years ago I bought a pair of short boots and wore them one time amnd never again b/c of the way the boot hit my ankle...very painful.

Any insight is appreciated.

7. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

As gunboats go, the Barrie is sleek. That's why I like them. I'm further pushing for a lower profile by squeezing my 10.5 Ds (Brannock) into 9.5 Barries, mostly. The 10 D in Barrie is a little sloppy for me.

How has sizing down a full size on the barrie worked for you?

8. scb

scb Senior member

dammit, I waited too long on the ravello chukka from the shoe mart in 10.5. someone got the last one

9. borderline

borderline Senior member

As gunboats go, the Barrie is sleek. That's why I like them. I'm further pushing for a lower profile by squeezing my 10.5 Ds (Brannock) into 9.5 Barries, mostly. The 10 D in Barrie is a little sloppy for me.

Is the Barrie last vanity sized?

10. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I dunno, sometimes its hard to trust lighting, etc

the (restored) whiskey's in that photo (in the middle) look like #6 or something to me. and over time, I would think you could darken them up with polishes

[​IMG]

Lots of nice looking new shoes in this thread. Also is not a whole lot of negativity like there was for a while which is good.

I made this photo my wallpaper on my laptop:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_q94mNatWth...1600/front.JPG

Nothing new here, waiting for my #8 and black shell saddle shoes from Tom.

Really messed up a pair of calf plaze wingtips in the rain/snow/slush but I think I can fix them up.

Keep up the good work my Brothers of the Horse Ass. [​IMG]

11. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

Lots of nice looking new shoes in this thread. Also is not a whole lot of negativity like there was for a while which is good.

I made this photo my wallpaper on my laptop:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_q94mNatWth...1600/front.JPG

Nothing new here, waiting for my #8 and black shell saddle shoes from Tom.

Really messed up a pair of calf plaze wingtips in the rain/snow/slush but I think I can fix them up.

Keep up the good work my Brothers of the Horse Ass. [​IMG]

Which #8's are you waiting on? The special make up he just did? If so, I ordered those as well and just need to get them out of my mind. That is the exact shoe I've been looking for...and now we wait...and wait...and wait...

12. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Which #8's are you waiting on? The special make up he just did? If so, I ordered those as well and just need to get them out of my mind. That is the exact shoe I've been looking for...and now we wait...and wait...and wait...
    It was a saddle shoe pre-order:

[​IMG]

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...n-saddle-shoe/

Missed out on the #4 and Black Saddle shoes both times but I really think the #8 will be a keepr. [​IMG]

13. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Missed out on the #4 and Black Saddle shoes both times but I really think the #8 will be a keepr. [​IMG]

I wouldn't worry about that too much. I like the standard closed lacing much better on these than the blucher styled #4 shoes.

14. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

15. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I wouldn't worry about that too much. I like the standard closed lacing much better on these than the blucher styled #4 shoes.

I agree. I love this shoe. I love the exposed eyelets.

Damn those are nice!

These were pre-order so I am hoping they will come in within the next 8 weeks. I cannot speak for Tom but he usually has some for general sle that come in at the same time depending on your size. He's crazy like that! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.