• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to drink bourbon as a beginner

jbharris88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
Conne's favorite recipe:

Step 1 - pour 1.5 oz of bourbon in a glass
Step 2 - add 5 more oz of bourbon to the same glass
Step 3 - drink
Repeat as necessary.

But seriously, try taking very small sips of it by itself or on the rocks.

+1 nothing better.

Try Buffalo Trace, Basil Haydens, Eagle Creek for sipping. Get something cheap if you are mixing (b/c what's the point?) Jim Beam, Jack, etc. Bourbon + ginger ale (but not vernors b/c that is piss), Old Fashioned, or Manhattan.

+1 on the whiskey stones as well.

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WaterlooMike
Either in a shaker, or on the rocks (simpler).

A couple of dashes of bitters

1 Pony sweet vermouth

1 Jigger + 1 Pony Makers Mark

Stir (even if you're using a shaker, STIR until ice cold) and strain into a martini glass
bigstar[1].gif
, or enjoy on the rocks. I personally avoid the super-sweet cherry as garnish in favor of a frozen blackberry or two. It helps to keep the cocktail cold, and tastes great when you've finished the drink.

This is a Manhattan, FYI.

Actually, a Manhattan is made with Rye - the spiciness of the rye balances well with the sweetness of the vermouth. Using a wheated bourbon like Makers that has no rye content at all makes the drink far too sweet, and much less interesting - kind of one-dimensional. If you must use bourbon, I'd suggest something that has some decent rye content, i.e. Bulleit.

Makers is just fine on the rocks - it's pretty mild and sweet as is, so no need to really doctor it up.

WaterlooMike

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kyoung05
Actually, a Manhattan is made with Rye - the spiciness of the rye balances well with the sweetness of the vermouth. Using a wheated bourbon like Makers that has no rye content at all makes the drink far too sweet, and much less interesting - kind of one-dimensional. If you must use bourbon, I'd suggest something that has some decent rye content, i.e. Bulleit.

Makers is just fine on the rocks - it's pretty mild and sweet as is, so no need to really doctor it up.

The traditional Manhattan is rye, however variations do exist. (I'm Canadian. I grew up believing that rye is the ONLY whiskey, and have had my share of rye manhattans.) I have a number of old timey bartenders guides featuring recipes with bourbon. It's much like a martini can consist of gin or vodka.

As for the flavour profile, to each their own. I happen to like woodford reserve for this cocktail (or neat). He happens to have a bottle of Makers. I maintain he should give this a try, and draw his own conclusions.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WaterlooMike
The traditional Manhattan is rye, however variations do exist. (I'm Canadian. I grew up believing that rye is the ONLY whiskey, and have had my share of rye manhattans.) I have a number of old timey bartenders guides featuring recipes with bourbon. It's much like a martini can consist of gin or vodka.

It's not even a martini situation where two entirely different liquors are commonly used- it's just that there are two different types of the same spirit- whiskey that can be used. Hell, some people swear by Canadian whiskey in the drink. Bourbon is absolutely common and accepted. Yes, it was originally made with rye, but it's almost always been made with both, and more commonly with bourbon due to rye's lack of popularity in general.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
Conne's favorite recipe:

Step 1 - pour 1.5 oz of bourbon in a glass
Step 2 - add 5 more oz of bourbon to the same glass
Step 3 - drink
Repeat as necessary.

But seriously, try taking very small sips of it by itself or on the rocks.

this....this. this. this. this.
smile.gif

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1.5 oz over ice, splash a little water in there to lengthen the finish, wait about 120 seconds, drink.

cncrd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
It's not even a martini situation where two entirely different liquors are commonly used- it's just that there are two different types of the same spirit- whiskey that can be used. Hell, some people swear by Canadian whiskey in the drink. Bourbon is absolutely common and accepted. Yes, it was originally made with rye, but it's almost always been made with both, and more commonly with bourbon due to rye's lack of popularity in general.

I had a very difficult time over New Year's finding a bar in Denver, of all places, that even had rye whiskey. I would have thought it wouldn't be so difficult, but over two days in four really nice bars no one had rye. I was trying to find someone to make a Sazerac, and what was weird was that two of the four bars had Absinthe- cheap Absinthe, but still Absinthe- but no rye.

Anyway, to the OP, I find that a little unchilled water doesn't change the flavor of some bourbons as much as ice does, which I think is good. To me, milder bourbons sometimes don't taste at all like themselves when they get too cooled down.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my opinion the best way to begin with bourbon is to start with it very diluted. It can seem a bit "hot" until you develop a taste for it. Just try it a few times as a glass of water with the whiskey served on the side. Put the whiskey in the water as a lighter flavoring and learn what the flavor is without the drawbacks of the harshness of the alcohol.

When some appreciation develops you will be drinking it as 2 bourbon - 1 water with a couple of cubes. that is about how I normally eyeball mine into the old fashioned glass. The suggestions for the bourbon and ginger are great. It combines very well, just don't get one of the overly sweet ginger ales. Plain old Schwepps works pretty well for this, IMHO. Easy to keep handy and is a well known great combination. They just go together well such as gin and tonic do.

Makers Mark is OK, but there are quite a few others in this moderate price range that I'd rather have. for something relatively inexpensive, try some Fitzgerald 86 proof or Old Barton. Jim Beam black label is something with a different taste profile. And select bbls of Old Forrester is what Woodford Reserve was first made from when introduced 10 year or so ago.

Once you get to the point where you can identify some of the differences in these then move to some of the high $$$$ stuff with the more varied profiles and more aging. My motto is too Pay Less, Drink More.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sincerity
have used
http://www.amazon.com/Rocks-Whiskey-...pr_product_top

to help me get used to drinking bourbon or scotch straight...wife bought these for me a while back and never used them. They don't make the drink ice cold, they just chill it slightly. Also remove some of the overpowering aroma and make it smoother going down. I"m not sure if there is a less expensive option or what, but like I say these were a gift and do the job. They don't flavor the liquor at all though which is nice

fuckin love your post rate.

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sincerity
have used http://www.amazon.com/Rocks-Whiskey-...pr_product_top to help me get used to drinking bourbon or scotch straight...wife bought these for me a while back and never used them. They don't make the drink ice cold, they just chill it slightly. Also remove some of the overpowering aroma and make it smoother going down. I"m not sure if there is a less expensive option or what, but like I say these were a gift and do the job. They don't flavor the liquor at all though which is nice
Now either you have or you haven't used them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads