1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How to drink bourbon as a beginner

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by mrgoblueguy, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Big A

Big A Senior member

1.5 oz over ice, splash a little water in there to lengthen the finish, wait about 120 seconds, drink.

2. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Helicopter parenting FTW.

I think my parents taught me how to drink bourbon, YMMV

3. cncrd

cncrd Senior member

It's not even a martini situation where two entirely different liquors are commonly used- it's just that there are two different types of the same spirit- whiskey that can be used. Hell, some people swear by Canadian whiskey in the drink. Bourbon is absolutely common and accepted. Yes, it was originally made with rye, but it's almost always been made with both, and more commonly with bourbon due to rye's lack of popularity in general.

I had a very difficult time over New Year's finding a bar in Denver, of all places, that even had rye whiskey. I would have thought it wouldn't be so difficult, but over two days in four really nice bars no one had rye. I was trying to find someone to make a Sazerac, and what was weird was that two of the four bars had Absinthe- cheap Absinthe, but still Absinthe- but no rye.

Anyway, to the OP, I find that a little unchilled water doesn't change the flavor of some bourbons as much as ice does, which I think is good. To me, milder bourbons sometimes don't taste at all like themselves when they get too cooled down.

4. the shah

the shah Senior member

These are great questions...."how do I drink booze???"

[​IMG]

5. Charley

Charley Senior member

In my opinion the best way to begin with bourbon is to start with it very diluted. It can seem a bit "hot" until you develop a taste for it. Just try it a few times as a glass of water with the whiskey served on the side. Put the whiskey in the water as a lighter flavoring and learn what the flavor is without the drawbacks of the harshness of the alcohol.

When some appreciation develops you will be drinking it as 2 bourbon - 1 water with a couple of cubes. that is about how I normally eyeball mine into the old fashioned glass. The suggestions for the bourbon and ginger are great. It combines very well, just don't get one of the overly sweet ginger ales. Plain old Schwepps works pretty well for this, IMHO. Easy to keep handy and is a well known great combination. They just go together well such as gin and tonic do.

Makers Mark is OK, but there are quite a few others in this moderate price range that I'd rather have. for something relatively inexpensive, try some Fitzgerald 86 proof or Old Barton. Jim Beam black label is something with a different taste profile. And select bbls of Old Forrester is what Woodford Reserve was first made from when introduced 10 year or so ago.

Once you get to the point where you can identify some of the differences in these then move to some of the high $$$$ stuff with the more varied profiles and more aging. My motto is too Pay Less, Drink More.

6. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

I think my parents taught me how to drink bourbon, YMMV

[​IMG] My baby bottles still have that delightful aroma.

7. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

have used
    http://www.amazon.com/Rocks-Whiskey-...pr_product_top

to help me get used to drinking bourbon or scotch straight...wife bought these for me a while back and never used them. They don't make the drink ice cold, they just chill it slightly. Also remove some of the overpowering aroma and make it smoother going down. I"m not sure if there is a less expensive option or what, but like I say these were a gift and do the job. They don't flavor the liquor at all though which is nice

fuckin love your post rate.

8. sincerity

sincerity Well-Known Member

fuckin love your post rate.
    [​IMG] my 50th...just for you...

9. jobro

jobro Senior member

have used http://www.amazon.com/Rocks-Whiskey-...pr_product_top to help me get used to drinking bourbon or scotch straight...wife bought these for me a while back and never used them. They don't make the drink ice cold, they just chill it slightly. Also remove some of the overpowering aroma and make it smoother going down. I"m not sure if there is a less expensive option or what, but like I say these were a gift and do the job. They don't flavor the liquor at all though which is nice
    Now either you have or you haven't used them.

10. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

11. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

On the rocks is good. The ice will melt and water it down, bringing out the taste/smell nuances.

And it lasts for a long time: 2 or 3 beers for others, depending. A nice trick for social drinking.

12. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

I was given a bottle of Makers Mark today an don't drink much bourbon. I usually sissy out and add a mixer. How should a beginner drink it? Neat, on the rocks or with a splash of water? Thanks guys!!!

You (and every other guy who asks this question) are being given bad advice. You go about learning to enjoy bourbon the same way you learn to enjoy beer; drink a bunch of the bad stuff until you quit caring that it's bad (this applies to every other major hard liquor that I know of with the exception of tequila [start with Espolon or Gran Centenario anejo]). Did you really enjoy the first 200 cans of Natty/Keystone/etc. that you had? Did you add them to sugar water? Nah- you drank the shit to look cool and get fucked up. You can worry about nuance when you aren't busy trying not to wretch up every sip you take of bourbon.

5ozs an evening of Wild Turkey, room temperature. The first 3ozs should be done shot style. Swish a bit if you wanna put some hair on your tongue, kill off your sense of taste, and murder your gag reflex (very marketable skill for after your SO drops your ass when she realizes that you frequent a men's clothing forum). The two shots should mellow the awfulness of sipping the last 2ounces. After a week of this, you won't notice the two shots anymore, but you won't be gagging while sipping either. Soon enough you'll enjoy it, and additionally won't care for Maker's Mark (Wild Turkey is the shit) anyway. This method has worked for thousands of teenagers everywhere, it can work for you.

1 person likes this.
  13. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

The first drink I really got into was bourbon, and my first was Evan Williams. Cheap, reasonably drinkable, and decent quality to boot. I started drinking it straight, had to choke it back at first but after a little while you start enjoying it. Then you move on to something more interesting.

You (and every other guy who asks this question) are being given bad advice. You go about learning to enjoy bourbon the same way you learn to enjoy beer; drink a bunch of the bad stuff until you quit caring that it's bad (this applies to every other major hard liquor that I know of with the exception of tequila [start with Espolon or Gran Centenario anejo]). Did you really enjoy the first 200 cans of Natty/Keystone/etc. that you had? Did you add them to sugar water? Nah- you drank the shit to look cool and get fucked up. You can worry about nuance when you aren't busy trying not to wretch up every sip you take of bourbon.

5ozs an evening of Wild Turkey, room temperature. The first 3ozs should be done shot style. Swish a bit if you wanna put some hair on your tongue, kill off your sense of taste, and murder your gag reflex (very marketable skill for after your SO drops your ass when she realizes that you frequent a men's clothing forum). The two shots should mellow the awfulness of sipping the last 2ounces. After a week of this, you won't notice the two shots anymore, but you won't be gagging while sipping either. Soon enough you'll enjoy it, and additionally won't care for Maker's Mark (Wild Turkey is the shit) anyway. This method has worked for thousands of teenagers everywhere, it can work for you.

Wild Turkey isn't exactly the Natty Ice of bourbons. It's not top shelf, but it's certainly drinkable even for an experienced whiskey fan.

14. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

The first drink I really got into was bourbon, and my first was Evan Williams. Cheap, reasonably drinkable, and decent quality to boot. I started drinking it straight, had to choke it back at first but after a little while you start enjoying it. Then you move on to something more interesting.

Wild Turkey isn't exactly the Natty Ice of bourbons. It's not top shelf, but it's certainly drinkable even for an experienced whiskey fan.

I wasn't going to tell the guy to go after Sunny Brook or something of the sort. Wild Turkey is my personal favorite, but it's harsher than most others in my experience.

15. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

This is dumb. Do not take this advice.

16. sincerity

sincerity Well-Known Member

Now either you have or you haven't used them.
    wow, yea clearly a typo/brainfart....as I have clearly used them before...have no idea what I was trying to say

17. jeremiah90

jeremiah90 New Member

So my dad passed me a bottle of Jeremiah Weed today and said, "Learn how to drink this and get back to me." I was latter told by this guy where I work that Jeremiah is shit to learn bourbon on; was he correct? Just wondered if I should be going out and looking for something else to learn on before i start drinking the more pricey whiskeys.