• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lands' End Canvas

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mfitz82, you are too skinny to be even the definition of mid-20s medium, but you are pretty right, I think. you are their target customer

LEC is a younger version of LE. in part it's a gateway brand. young single men feasting on cut-rate LEC will be getting the catalogs for the next twelve years and, one day, buying a shitload of LE for themselves and their kids. or so they are hoping, i'm sure.

it must help, in the effort to undercut j.crew's prices, to make fewer sizes of each item. it gets expensive fast when you start making and stocking every imaginable size.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know how you guys who are 160-170 are fitting well in mediums....I'm 6' 195 and the mediums fit me great.

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Maybe I should give the smalls a second chance. If anybody gets the red chambray in small and doesn't like it, let me know. I'll buy it.
Originally Posted by slide13
I don't know how you guys who are 160-170 are fitting well in mediums....I'm 6' 195 and the mediums fit me great.
Slide13, what's your chest measurement?

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal
LEC sizing is all over the place as is their quality. It's almost on a piece by piece basis. But here's just a general rule of thumb.

I'm 5'9" 160 with a 38-40 chest and broad shoulders.

LEC shirts fit well in medium.

LEC sweaters fit like tents in medium.

And LEC outerwear fit like badly-designed clothes on anybody.

Oh, and avoid the chinos if you like to carry anything around in your pockets.

+1 on the pockets. Every time I sit in my car wearing the chinos, all the change I have goes flying out.

mk.ultra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mfitz82
This has not been my experience at all. I am 26yo, 6'0, 170lbs. I have an "athletic" build, 31inch waist, 40inch chest, wear 16/34 dress shirts, etc. I am basically the living definition of medium sized clothing. And LEC size medium fits darn near perfect, in pretty much every piece of clothing I've tried on thus far. E.g. The oxford, the v-neck lambswool sweaters, the v-neck T, the crewneck T, and their straight fit chinos. Their stuff is not overly "baggy", I don't swim in the clothing, the shirts are not too long, etc. At the same time, the shirts don't wrap around my torso like saran wrap, which sometimes happens with American apparel mediums. Their clothing is definitely basic, and I won't go to it for more than that (some of their stuff looks like they're trying to hard). But in my experience, this company has great fitting clothing at a great price. I will continue to go to it for my basics.
The guy you quoted is probably 6' 130 lbs. Land's End mediums fit me great as I am 6'2" 185 lbs, athletic build. Been hitting the gym for about a year now and gained about 35 lbs
biggrin.gif

blynch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slide13

sounds about right to me, I'm 6' 165 and the mediums are too big in the body. Small fits perfect in the body but too small in the shoulders and sometimes short in the sleeves.

MinnesotaNice

Reaction score
just got the latest shipment:
i'm 5'11, 150 lbs, 37" chest, 29" waist

Canvas sneakers: good beaters for $10
Red chambray (s): good fit, about the same as the poplins I got about 4 months ago. Still a little extra fabric around the midsection
Shaker shall collar sweater (s): fits pretty well. not skin tight, but not boxy as others have noted, imo.

This is the first order where i'm actually going to keep everything

Doug C

Reaction score
You guys that are size S (or XS or whatever) are most likely only that size because of age, no? I mean most people do not remain that size their whole life, not even Europeans or whoever. People generally grow over time, though I get the point about American's being bigger overall.... but then again this is an American company catering to American clients. Also, I think of the 'Canvas' line as basically being a 30somthing line (same as Jcrew) - give of take, and I use that description very loosly. There's other companies that are geared more towards the young skinny dudes.. Urban Outfitters, etc, etc. It's gret that those same guys like 'canvas' of course, but I've just never gotten the impression that they were trying to appeal to that set, and that's IMHO why the clothes my be looser than some are expecting. And again those expecting the chambrays the be snugger fitting... it's a replica of a workwear type shirt which would have never been snug, but even this one has a somewhat modern cut in comparison to originals. Again, JMHO.

C-Note

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Nah, most people in the US are simply overweight but you have become conditioned to accept this as normal since it's what surrounds you. Try going elsewhere in the world and you'll quickly see the definition of "too skinny" is quite different. Even within the US the definition of "too skinny" varies wildly depending on your location and social group. Thus are you describing the desire to fit in by looking like everyone else? Or are you describing the desire to become larger in order to fit into all that fantastic Lands End clothing?
Not exactly sure where you got this from, and it sounds like what I said struck a chord in you, which wasn't the intent. I'm not insinuating that you need to look like everyone else or that it's so you can just fit into LE clothes. I'm saying that you're talking about an XS being too big for you. Tell me that's "normal." How can being an XXS be "normal" in ANY social/cultural milieu? You're talking about getting into boys' clothing sizes. Being underweight isn't any healthier than being overweight. And what I'm describing is the desire to actually be a little bit closer to being "normal" weight? Not by fat or anything but perhaps muscle? Your second question was a bit more on target but still off. If you have trouble fitting into even other brands' clothing then why is it so difficult to try and maybe build some muscle and fit into a regular small? Again, it's your prerogative but it's not like we're talking about trying to be overweight to fit into clothes. I'm talking about gaining weight to not be so vastly underweight? If you're so offended by this suggestion then maybe consider why it's being suggested. I'm not trying to insult you or anyone, it's closer to actually trying to reason with someone that sounds a bit underweight and defensive about it.

nycfan

Reaction score
I'm not 100% convinced people on this board are reporting their heights correctly, I've seen people say a jcrew small is a perfect fit and they're 6-1.

C-Note

Reaction score
Finally got around to opening up a package with a heritage poplin and the red chambray shirt. The poplin's on the thin side but it fits pretty well (size small, normally wear a medium in other brands). The chambray is great though, just like most say. The fit is good and the material feels thick and substantial. Very happy with it

pimpmystyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blynch
sounds about right to me, I'm 6' 165 and the mediums are too big in the body. Small fits perfect in the body but too small in the shoulders and sometimes short in the sleeves.

This doesn't make any sense to me, as I am 5'8" 150 and the small shirts are too tight in the chest. I'm not going to give the mystery fit canvas shirts any more consideration - they don't fit me properly and that's all that matters.

pimpmystyle

Reaction score
Aside from price, what's the appeal of the LEC marled blazer? It looks like a rather generic dark grey blazer. (I know the item pictured is not LEC just asking about marled blazers and their appeal).
Originally Posted by max-t
here's an even better example of something similar (in look, not quality) but costs 10 ten times as much as the LEC marled blazer. From the recent purchases thread, Ervell Cashmere Blazer
Standard%20Blazer%20Grey%20Twill.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads