• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
still, i find it best for something i really want to wait until about 45 seconds left and post my max ... don't know if anyone else does that or not. i went through a real long streak of getting sniped. too cheap to sign up for a snipe software, but this seems to work really well for me. doesn't give the snipers enough time to re-bid.

I also snipe manually sometimes, but I snipe within 10 seconds of the end by starting the process at about 15 seconds. 45 seconds gives someone plenty of time to see your bid and top it if they are so inclined.

It seems that the first 6 days 23 hours and 59 minutes of an auction is solely for the purpose of allowing interested buyers to find the item. In my experience, most bidding happens inside the last minute.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
I also snipe manually sometimes, but I snipe within 10 seconds of the end by starting the process at about 15 seconds. 45 seconds gives someone plenty of time to see your bid and top it if they are so inclined.

Do you never get sucked into the thrill of winning an auction and wind up bidding way more than you ever intended.

"You have been outbid. Increase your maximum bid."
ffffuuuu.gif

Originally Posted by Steve Smith
It seems that the first 6 days 23 hours and 59 minutes of an auction is solely for the purpose of allowing interested buyers to find the item. In my experience, most bidding happens inside the last minute.

Absolutely correct.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
Do you never get sucked into the thrill of winning an auction and wind up bidding way more than you ever intended.

"You have been outbid. Increase your maximum bid."
ffffuuuu.gif

Happened to me more than I'd like to admit. I've also lost my fair share of auctions that ended dirt cheap because I had the auction set up all ready to snipe then got sidetracked and forgot about it.
baldy[1].gif

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Happened to me more than I'd like to admit. I've also lost my fair share of auctions that ended dirt cheap because I had the auction set up all ready to snipe then got sidetracked and forgot about it.
baldy[1].gif

my brotha from anotha motha! all part of the bay's peculiar charm. one other odd thing: i've noticed that the ebay app on my iphone works better than the website through my desktop.

alfair

Reaction score
I did some research w/regards to the Burberrys suit. From what I understand the Burberrys label was used until 1999 so the Prorsum is not the runway line but was part of the main production. Do you guys know if it should say Made in England?

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alfair
I did some research w/regards to the Burberrys suit. From what I understand the Burberrys label was used until 1999 so the Prorsum is not the runway line but was part of the main production. Do you guys know if it should say Made in England?

no it will say made in USA. they are decent quality suits but don't buy it just because of the burberry tag, they really aren't that special. just slightly nicer department store fare at the time.

alfair

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mainy
no it will say made in USA. they are decent quality suits but don't buy it just because of the burberry tag, they really aren't that special. just slightly nicer department store fare at the time.
Ah, okay. Thanks mainy.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by csoukoulis
anyone have experience with Loden Frey coats? Found a MINT vintage one in my size for 16 bucks so i had to buy it. ill try to get pics up tomorrow but it is identical to this one except a medium blue color.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=199818

I have a LodenFrey. It's very nice, very warm. I've been wearing it a lot this winter. You did extremely well.

rayxlui

Reaction score
Today I learned how a Zilli composition tag looks like. And today I realized I passed on one of their leather jackets. Trying not to kill myself right now.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I have a LodenFrey. It's very nice, very warm. I've been wearing it a lot this winter. You did extremely well.

Awesome. My old lady hates it. But I think its fantastic

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rayxlui
Today I learned how a Zilli composition tag looks like. And today I realized I passed on one of their leather jackets. Trying not to kill myself right now.

Yikes! Better high-tail it back there tomorrow and hope nobody snagged it. For your sake, Zilli isn't as well known as Hermes, Louis Vuitton, etc for luxury goods.

rayxlui

Reaction score
I remember it from two months ago.
ffffuuuu.gif

I thought it looked super nice, however, it was missing the lining so didn't know what it was.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by csoukoulis
anyone have experience with Loden Frey coats? Found a MINT vintage one in my size for 16 bucks so i had to buy it. ill try to get pics up tomorrow but it is identical to this one except a medium blue color.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=199818

I will buy it off you for at least double that if you decide to sell it. That is, if it is a medium or smaller.

Bartlebooth

Reaction score
Thrifty iGents, there are days when you find good things, cool things, neat things, unfortunately damaged things, and things that fit or fit close enough.

And then there are days when the thrift gods smile and you find exactly what you were looking for, and it is better than you could have expected.

I was muddling along on one of my pre-work swing-bys, happy to have found a BB slim-fit blue, light orange and dark orange striped shirt and a Billy Reid monogram shirt. I mean, a Billy Reid shirt is odd enough; you don't come across newer designers like that very often, so I was excited. And it's a kinda neat twist on a classic shirt: a white (though the link's purple) OCBD with "cream twill taping" along the inside of the placket and a ribbon detail at the bottom, with a BR monogram over the bottom of the left ribcage and a shorter collar than you usually find on OCBDs. This thing'll look great wrinkled up with a loosened repp tie. But even before this shirt, I've been keeping on an eye out for what's missing from that outfit, and lo and behold, the next thing I stumble across: a YSL navy blazer. The thrift gods smiled even more because there was no size tag, so the pleasure of slipping on with no forewarning a jacket that fits like it was tailored for me was only greater.

I will say, It's one of the weirder fabrics I've ever felt"”there was a similarly fabriced khaki YSL suit at this particular Goodwill last week, so it looks to be from a certain era, and the Vintage Fashion Guild has a similar label dated to a men's coat from the 70s. It's very thick and has a really pronounced rib to the touch; it feels like cotton when you move slowly over it, but it kinda feels vinyl-ish when you run your hand quickly over it.

Anyway, I figured you guys would appreciate that rare joy of thrifting exactly what you're looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads