• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

best suit movie / suit movies top 10?

bing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odiv
There's some good stuff in Get Carter.

you're just saying that because it was on Canadian television last night
smile.gif

no one would know that otherwise

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bing
you're just saying that because it was on Canadian television last night
smile.gif

no one would know that otherwise

I sincerely hope you're referring to the original (filmed verbclose to where I grew up) and not the travesty of a remake.

Redemption

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ALFAMALE
Goldfinger.
None of use have ever looked this good...nor will we...

3666223671_04f1dddc58_b.jpg

Goldfingersuit1.png

Gf_grey3piece5.jpg

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Recently - Inception was very slick

I have a soft spot for Wes Anderson's ones... like The Royal Tennanbaums or Darjeeling Limited

LSU1990

Reaction score
Agree w/ Connery's Bond as noted above - Black Grenadine tie w/ white shirt/light grey 3 piece definitely makes my top three. If CG's North by Northwest grey suit/white soft collar shirt/silver grey tie is #1, then McQueen's (original Thomas Crown) grey plaid w/ light blue shirt, sky blue tie has to be #1A. The only thing about CG's suit that doesn't quite suit me is that it is ventless, but it's hard to argue with perfection.

Blofeld1

Reaction score
La dolce vita and several other Fellini movies...
North by Northwest
Wallstreet 1 & 2
The wrong man ( not because of Henry Fonda but because of Anthony Quayle)
Scarface( for douchebag style² with serious man cleavage)
The Apartment
The King's Speech

sage_incognito

Reaction score
All the James Bond movies featuring Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan.

* Sean Connery in Conduit suit with narrow ties and Turnbull and Asser shirt
- Dr. No (best quote: "Interesting. Where were you measured for this ? My tailor. Saville Row. Is that so? Mine's a guy in Washington")
- From Russia with Love
- Goldfinger
- Thunderball
- You only live twice
- Diamonds are forever.
and... non-canon version of Never say never again. (Connery is not wearing a suit that much in that movie)

* Brosnan era - British spy in a British shirt (T&A) and shoes (Church's) but in Italian suit (Brioni)
- Golden Eye: I especially like the scene when Brosnan stops the tank to fix his tie and to chase the Bond girl and villain.
- Tomorrow never dies
- The world is not enough: Even casual suit (beige suit with brown monkstrap and blue shirt in Istanbul scene) is nice
- Die another day: here Brosnan is turning to Brioni shirts instead of T&A

Wouldn't recommend George Lazenby and Roger Moore. Lazenby wearing a skirt (maybe a traditional Scottish costume I guess) is ugly. Roger Moore's suit in the 70's and 80's have wide and low-gorged lapel with flared pants reflecting the fads in those days. Timothy Dalton's suit is nice, but sometimes seems a bit awkward. Daniel Craig is ok, but his muscular physique rather makes him look less elegant.

Body of lies (suits are from Huntsman) is also nice.
If interested in Armani suit in the early 80's, watch American Gigolo. You wouldn't dare to those suits these days.

AE7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels

start acquiring some (own) style and speaking for yourself.

ELG

Reaction score
Thomas Crown Affair (with Steve McQueen of course)

Chinatown

Maltese Falcon

ELG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels

3666223671_04f1dddc58_b.jpg

Goldfingersuit1.png

Gf_grey3piece5.jpg

Is Connery's suit a subtle glen plaid? The lapels are the perfect length.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Good summary sage, I agree with most of that but Connery looked dire in DAF (early scene in Blofeld's mud lab in baggy tweed, breaking into Willard whyte's retreat in cream suit and short pink tie etc.)

Incidentally Brosnan was contractually forbidden from wearing a tux in any other film while he was Bond. In TTCA he is seen at the jazz club in a tux but with an untied white bow tie. Very close to the edge but the producers were the same as the Bonds at the time so they let him slide with his near-tux.

Cary Grant's suit in NBNW looks blue-gray but is really a very muted glen plaid which I only realized from seeing photos in the book about his style, not from seeing the film countless times. I like ventless jackets but hate 3 roll 2s, (completely pointless) but like you say he makes it work and his long semi spread shirt collar looks great.

ELG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dinky89484
Inception

Inception did have some lovely suits. Especially, one guy has a striped lining on the back of his vest. I have searched for months, for a lining to do this, but have continually failed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads