• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hugo Boss is crapola

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Silverfox
500 is not that much to spend, but it is more than 250, which is what I think the quality merits. I don't have a problem with low quality, I just think that whenever you buy a suit it's adviseable to get as much for your money as you can, and unless its selling at 50% discount, that isn't boss. And if you do wear suits to work daily, as opposed to once a year on new years eve, you will be wearing suits out and quality will matter.

That being said, the argument that I do agree with is that it might for some people be fine to go with boss for the sake of expediency. If you are happy being seen in boss quality suits and you don't mind paying the premium over what you'd expect to have to pay for that quality, I have no problem with that. A busy person might not have the time to run around hunting for fit/style he's happy with, so if he's happy with the quality of boss and doesn't mind paying the 250 premium simply as a way of getting a style/fit he knows he likes with zero effort, that's perfectly reasonable. But he should be honest about where the money goes and what he's actually getting for it, so that he can decide in a rational way if it's really worth it. In this case he's paying 250 for the garment, and 250 for the convenience. For some this might be a fair deal, for others it might not.

My personal experience with a boss suit is that the fusing in the chest turned ugly quite soon. Basically looked like bubles developed in the glue-job. I also had a pair of boss shoes that turned very ugly the first time I got caught in the rain with them (well to be honest, only the right one did, that's still a ruined pair). The leather was stretched in a strange way and small wrinkles formed on the outside of the shoe around the heel. Then again I also had a boss messenger bag in black pebblegrain that I was tremendously happy with until it broke. Used it every day for 4-5 years and never a loose stitch or issue with the leather. Carried quite heavy books with it, and in the end the metal ring connecting the strap to the bag just broke from what appears to be metal fatigue. I suppose the metal could have been better quality, but otherwise the leatherwork was good.

So what suits do you wear for aroudn $500

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Yes, I was being specific to suits. I will be sure to take pics next time I go shopping.

To be fair, a friend of mine had a HB raincoat that was fused, and after several rainfalls,
the fusing seperated from the fabric, causing horrible bubbles; milions of them.
I've gone through my HB suits yesterday to double check them, but they seem fine.
At deep discount they are ok for someone starting out.
Since joining SF (and having learned so much) I would not buy another HB suit in future.
They do have some nice SC's though, imo.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son-in-law is a triathlete. He is in a PhD program and only needs like one pair of dress pants. I went out with him and the best fitting and best fabric we could find for the $$$ was a Charcoal grey HB at Nordstrom. For under $200, tailored, it was a good value. They look fantastic on him. I was impressed. However, some of the other HB pants were quite different and not quite as good in the look and feel of the fabric.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
My son-in-law is a triathlete. He is in a PhD program and only needs like one pair of dress pants. I went out with him and the best fitting and best fabric we could find for the $$$ was a Charcoal grey HB at Nordstrom. For under $200, tailored, it was a good value. They look fantastic on him. I was impressed. However, some of the other HB pants were quite different and not quite as good in the look and feel of the fabric.

Hugo like many other fashion brands are not consistent in quality. However, if they were black label pants, I would suggest look at the material. Cotton Pants do look and feel different to a wool blend.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
Hugo like many other fashion brands are not consistent in quality. However, if they were black label pants, I would suggest look at the material. Cotton Pants do look and feel different to a wool blend.
They were 100% wool black label and different from some of the other 100% wool black label in other colors and shades.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ismelllikepoop
Insert generic complaints of poor quality fabrics, poor stitching, fusing, whatever canned sf responses there are, even if they don't know what that means.

This pretty much sums it up. Some people here have a valid point in that for its price you can do much better as in buying brooks brothers, HF etc. But most people here just jump on the Hugo Boss bashing band wagon. True for its price the quality is not up to par, but what do you expect for 500 bucks Attolini quality stitching? And if those "horror" stories about shirts falling apart after 1 wear or raincoats not being able to withstand rain were the norm rather than some fluke i doubt a company like that would be able to stay in business very long.

oaw01

Reaction score
Kenneth Cole ***** would break after one wash. I used to buy a ton of KC and coveted Hugo Boss.
I loved my square toe KCs..

The5thAce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Style Guru
How old are you kid? Next, you'll be telling me my Bang & Olufsen equipment is crap
lol8[1].gif

And what do you use? Some junk you made yourself or bought on ebay?

No offense, but neither Bose nor Bang & Olufsen makes a great speaker. Most audiophiles would never consider buying either one. Both brands are grossly overpriced and vastly inferior to other offerings at the same or lesser price points.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How old are you kid? Next, you'll be telling me my Bang & Olufsen equipment is crap
lol8[1].gif

I think the real question is how long have you been deaf?

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol8[1].gif

you must be trolling with your ****** audio equipment...

jumpinjeffd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89
There is too much bashing of Hugo Boss suits on this website. Yes, they are overpriced suits and clothing, but most times you have to pay for CONVIENCE!

Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, Saks rarely sells suits under $300. And when they do, they go fast and it's hard to find it in your size. Obviously you can find a better deal on suits and I've seen Hugos go for less than $300. Heck, you can always find a better deal on anything you really purchase in life if you wait long enough, look around....However, for me what it comes down to and for most people who are working a full-time job is convience. If I need a suit I go to all the department stores and suit stores in the area and see whats available. Then I check online prices and compare. I generally spend 3-5 days doing research. I also enjoy buying suits in person and trying them on rather than on Ebay or something where you never know if its "really authentic." Lastly, I've come to the realization that the convience of being able to look at the suit in person and in the store and receive help you realize you have to pay for that...Whether you need it or not thats part of buying something in a store.

Hugo Boss makes a B-grade suit. They look great but may not be made as well as they used to or should be for the price. But for most of us we do not want to spend time searching for that deal that could happen or may happen when we need it! For myself included yes, I do buy suits for style but they are mainly for work. So if I need another suit I want to look today, IN PERSON.

Bottom line, too much Hugo bashing. Not everyone can afford Brioni, Cannali...

+1.....I have several Boss Selection suits and several of the Nordstrom line.....they are nice and fit in with my wardrobe of Zegna, Canali, BB and Brioni. It all depends on how the fit of the suit is and how you rock it as I tend to go with the pocket squares, striking ties, and kick ass shoes as I like the accessories. Buying a Boss suit over Brioni will allow someone to build a wardrobe and accesssories and not be stuck with something that will fall apart after one season.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
I think the real question is how long have you been deaf?
+1. For the most part, both Bose & Boss are overpriced crap. -LR

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 108 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads