• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hugo Boss is crapola

SilvioDante

Reaction score
Originally Posted by narcissism
Still no one has provided specific example of why Hugo Boss is crap quality.

I've found the manufacturing quality to be a little inconsistent. One shirt I wanted to throw out after the first wash. I have a couple other items that I find to be of acceptable quality. I, like others here have noted, was attracted to HB cause of the fit. Terrible value at full retail. I would only buy HB items from the Saks outlet or Neiman outlet if possible..

I'm new around here, but SFers are obviously going to have higher standards for clothing quality than the average jamoke. Thus, the backlash.

SilvioDante

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
Stoes will usually sell just about any product that people will buy. If you think a product is good quality just because high-end stores sell it then you are the exact customer they are looking for.

Agreed. HB isn't the only overpriced brand those stores carry either. I'd say most of the well-known designers have a low-end line with questionable cost/value.

The Silverfox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by narcissism
Still no one has provided specific example of why Hugo Boss is crap quality.
Plenty of people, myself included, have provided specific examples of why hugo boss is crap quality My own personal experiences are a shoe turning wrinkly as **** after one day in the rain, as well as the fusing of a suit turning ugly with something resembling air-bubbles forming. I have also had friends with bad experiences, one of whom had a sole come off the shoe as he was walking on a shoe that was 6 months old (though how much he let it rest during the 6 months I can't attest to). Another person I know, and I saw this with my own eyes, had a stripe come loose from his suit. It was a navy suit with boldstripes, and apparently they had "produced" this abomination by gluing or painting the stripes onto the solid navy fabric. I don't know how old this suit was, could be he'd worn it every day for 10 years for all I know, but the pattern was litterally comming loose from the suit and was dangling around near the one of his sidevents.

ismelllikepoop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Silverfox
Plenty of people, myself included, have provided specific examples of why hugo boss is crap quality

My own personal experiences are a shoe turning wrinkly as **** after one day in the rain, as well as the fusing of a suit turning ugly with something resembling air-bubbles forming.

I have also had friends with bad experiences, one of whom had a sole come off the shoe as he was walking on a shoe that was 6 months old (though how much he let it rest during the 6 months I can't attest to). Another person I know, and I saw this with my own eyes, had a stripe come loose from his suit. It was a navy suit with boldstripes, and apparently they had "produced" this abomination by gluing or painting the stripes onto the solid navy fabric. I don't know how old this suit was, could be he'd worn it every day for 10 years for all I know, but the pattern was litterally comming loose from the suit and was dangling around near the one of his sidevents.

yes, after reading these threads on SF, terrorists have started to purchase HB for its combustive properties.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today, I'm wearing a wonderful pair of 6 yr old BOSS black captoes in protest of the hate.

The Silverfox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ismelllikepoop
yes, after reading these threads on SF, terrorists have started to purchase HB for its combustive properties.

Well I don't know about combustible, but if they need some wrinkly shoes to hide bombs in, you can let them know I have some I'll sell cheap.

If you've been lucky with your boss purchases, good for you, but I've experienced things falling apart years before they should have, given the price-level, and I decided never to buy Boss again long before ever stumbling across SF. I paid 2800kr (about £280 pounds) for those shoes and I think 5-or-6000kr (about £500/600) for the suit, and of course the price level of norway should be calculated in when comparing with prices in other countries, but even in norway that is in the high end of what's considered the normal range. If I had bought these things at H&M for 1/3 of the price, I'd have considered myself unlucky, but that it was a risk one must reasonably expect to endure for that price, but for the prices boss charges, and the image I had of the brand previous to experiencing it firsthand, it's ridiculous.

If you feel like this is all hyperbole, I assure you it's not. The discussion tends to turn one-sided because people tell those experiences that are noteworthy, and something not falling appart is not as noteworthy as something turning to **** on the first wear. I've had boss shirts I've used heavily that I've been perfectly satisfied with. The collars haven't held up as well as some of my other shirts, but better than some, and I did (and still do) like the styling of many of their items. I also had a messenger bag that served me well for 4-5 years with daily use lugging heavy books around until the metal connecting the strap and the bag broke. I have a wallet still that is even older, and I see no signs that it needs replacement any time soon. That being said, other leathergoods holding up fine does not excuse a pair of shoes that are ruined the first time I got caught out and had to walk home in the rain. Nor do shirts that hold up acceptably well somehow negate the fact that the fusing on a suit that was the price of 7-8 shirts developed unevenness and bubbles fairly quick. For that reason, when asked about my opinion on Boss, I give a decidedly negative review. Not every item I've bought there has displeased me, in fact most haven't, the problem is just that "most" items holding up is not good enough, especially at the prices they charge. Perhaps your financial situation is roomier than mine, but personally I can't afford to buy £600 suit and discarding them like paper plates.

oaw01

Reaction score
I still have a pair of 6 year old Boss underwear and it's holding up well.
I like to wear my True Religions low and show off the HG label

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oaw01
I still have a pair of 6 year old Boss underwear and it's holding up well.
I like to wear my True Religions low and show off the HG label

That's just wrong on so many levels :)

jacobkozinn

Reaction score
Boss makes some great casual clothes right now, really great, but their suits are crap.

Pretty sure it's a loss business for them and they don't want you to buy it.

They peaked in suits (when they and Armani were Kings) around 1989. That was a while ago, huh?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads