• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hugo Boss is crapola

tgt465

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 007deal
Been looking around for best prices on designer suits, and found couple (may be there are more around) of Asian online retailers, specialize in selling brand name designer suits, like Hugo Boss, Armani, etc.

At the risk of going off-topic, the sites you mention are full of totally fake items. Did you notice the suits are made with 15% polyester?

Here's a more appropriate thread about a similar site: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=210148

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
/thread

skyduster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jumpinjeffd
I could never compare the two with all sincerity. I am merely saying that I do indeed enjoy my Boss suits but do realize that they have a shelf life....unlike the Brioni which I can wear forever. Yet, I still wear them as I happen to think that my tailor did a great job and the suits look amazing on me. With that said I still have a feeling of invincibility when I toss on the Brioni as the softness of the fabric and the construction of the suit does indeed melt onto my frame.

I guess my point is that for me, a 32 year old professional, a properly worn suit looks better than the huddled masses be it a Brioni or a Boss suit.

That's awesome that you were able to get your tailor to alter an HB Pasolini suit to the point where it actually looks great. I have a grey HB Pasolini suit, and my tailor did all he could and it looks okay on me. I'm not buying another HB suit again.

I bought a 2nd HB Pasolini suit at Macy's because I loved the navy pinstripe fabric, but I returned it after trying it on several times at home, because it just looked marsupialed.

The problem with HB Pasolini suits is that the armholes are just too damn big, that the jacket looks marsupialed. They also tend to be quite big around the midsection. My tailor was able to narrow the jacket on my first HB suit, so that the midsection fit me well, but tailors can't really do anything with armholes. (Or can they?)

I still don't have enough experience to be able to judge the quality on HB suits (which many SF'ers say is inferior), but I do tend to be seduced by their fabric designs. But when I try on an HB suit -specifically the Pasolini suit, which is pretty much ALL you see at Macy's, Nordstrom, etc- the cut is just aweful. Don't get me started on HB's Jam Sharp.

For those of us who shop in the mid-price range -and you have a solid build, but are neither overweight, nor skinny and narrow-shouldered- I recommend giving Kenneth Cole a try. At Nordstrom Rack, I found a really nice Kenneth Cole 3-piece (grey pinstripe) that I love and KC is cheaper than HB. (And with the vest, my KC suit looks ridiculous...I love this suit). I measured the armholes, and there's about a 1-1.25 inch difference between the KC's armhole length, and HB Pasolini's armhole length.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jumpinjeffd
I could never compare the two with all sincerity. I am merely saying that I do indeed enjoy my Boss suits but do realize that they have a shelf life....unlike the Brioni which I can wear forever. Yet, I still wear them as I happen to think that my tailor did a great job and the suits look amazing on me. With that said I still have a feeling of invincibility when I toss on the Brioni as the softness of the fabric and the construction of the suit does indeed melt onto my frame.

I guess my point is that for me, a 32 year old professional, a properly worn suit looks better than the huddled masses be it a Brioni or a Boss suit.

Cool I understand now. I like the fact you enjoy wearing your Boss suit - it is you that decide what you like or dislike, not the rest of us. Brioni make very good fully canvassed suits, but Im starting to think now that Boss may have a place after all. We should all have a few suits in our wardrobe that get worn day in day out. It would be a shame to trash a $3K Brioni suit everyday.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Owen Meany
experienced buyers...and...sophisticated customers (in anything audio) do not buy Bose.....And that is a fact!

+1...you can find better quality equipment cheaper. Bose has done a real good job of making simplistic equipment that the average joe will overpay for.

SnarlPatrick

Reaction score
Their suits may not be all that, but I've found a couple dress shirts and casual pants that were well made, and had some unique styling features that I liked.

Plus.... he designed the Nazi uniforms didn't he? And say what you will.... they looked sharp.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkidd41011
...you can find better quality equipment cheaper. Bose has done a real good job of making simplistic equipment that the average joe will overpay for.
+1. Brand marketing at its finest.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The main complaints with Hugo is their suits <-> prices. Their casuals, dress shirts, slacks etc are fine given their price. Shoes and Suits though are not a great bang for the buck.

007deal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tgt465
At the risk of going off-topic, the sites you mention are full of totally fake items. Did you notice the suits are made with 15% polyester?

Here's a more appropriate thread about a similar site: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=210148

Thanks alot. The link/thread provided was really helpful. Can't trust Chinese goods anyway - be it mainland, or Hong Kong, whatever. Chinese made products big turn off. Period.

Cheers.

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
How did Hugo Boss become THE coveted suit brand for young men who know nothing about suits? It's effing marketing genius.
I think its because Hugo Boss sounds cool, its sounds exotic, and stupid people can pronounce it and feel special. Thats why Ermenegildo Zegna isn't as popular with the same crowd.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
The main complaints with Hugo is their suits <-> prices. Their casuals, dress shirts, slacks etc are fine given their price. Shoes and Suits though are not a great bang for the buck.

I think that I tend to agree on this one.

I have a lot of Hugo Boss stuff, but no suits or shoes (I used to have shoes, but not any more; I agree that they are not really great stuff considering their price). (Wrong: I have and often use a pair of Hugo Boss dark grey suede ankle boots. But basically because I like the colour; I really think that the quality is not very good; the sole is kind of "hard" to walk on. Just that for me it does not really matter any more, cause nowadays I use orthopedic insoles, which seem to make part of the work that the shoe itself should do for ordinary men.)

But I have a lot of non-suit HB stuff that I am really happy with (both the way it looks and the way it feels) and I do not mind what I paid for it.

marg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skyduster
That's awesome that you were able to get your tailor to alter an HB Pasolini suit to the point where it actually looks great. I have a grey HB Pasolini suit, and my tailor did all he could and it looks okay on me. I'm not buying another HB suit again.

I bought a 2nd HB Pasolini suit at Macy's because I loved the navy pinstripe fabric, but I returned it after trying it on several times at home, because it just looked marsupialed.

The problem with HB Pasolini suits is that the armholes are just too damn big, that the jacket looks marsupialed. They also tend to be quite big around the midsection. My tailor was able to narrow the jacket on my first HB suit, so that the midsection fit me well, but tailors can't really do anything with armholes. (Or can they?)

I still don't have enough experience to be able to judge the quality on HB suits (which many SF'ers say is inferior), but I do tend to be seduced by their fabric designs. But when I try on an HB suit -specifically the Pasolini suit, which is pretty much ALL you see at Macy's, Nordstrom, etc- the cut is just aweful. Don't get me started on HB's Jam Sharp.

For those of us who shop in the mid-price range -and you have a solid build, but are neither overweight, nor skinny and narrow-shouldered- I recommend giving Kenneth Cole a try. At Nordstrom Rack, I found a really nice Kenneth Cole 3-piece (grey pinstripe) that I love and KC is cheaper than HB. (And with the vest, my KC suit looks ridiculous...I love this suit). I measured the armholes, and there's about a 1-1.25 inch difference between the KC's armhole length, and HB Pasolini's armhole length.

The Pasolini line is their fullest-cut suit, and is meant for a more athletic build. Hence, the full arm holes. When you spend years building muscle only to find that no suit fits you, this is the best RTW option. This was the only RTW suit that fit me for years. For slender builds, this is not the suit for you.

I agree that the base suit is not worth the retail pricetag. If you buy it at a discount, it is certainly worth it for those that can't fit in slim-fit suits due to big shoulders/chest/arms.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marg
The Pasolini line is their fullest-cut suit, and is meant for a more athletic build. Hence, the full arm holes. When you spend years building muscle only to find that no suit fits you, this is the best RTW option. This was the only RTW suit that fit me for years. For slender builds, this is not the suit for you.

I agree that the base suit is not worth the retail pricetag. If you buy it at a discount, it is certainly worth it for those that can't fit in slim-fit suits due to big shoulders/chest/arms.

Passolini is a strong seller from what I've seen. Also, one of the best points brought up here.. If HB was really as bad as y'all claim on this forum do you think stores like Nordstrom, Bloomingdales and Saks would sell them? Yes, they are overprice but still make a nice suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads