• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do Parisian women dress so well?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat

What's worse, approximately 1/3 of US children are already porky, and will only become moreso over time.

I predict it'll never exceed 100%

Sad thing is I've seen claims that the increase from 25 to 30% was good news. The rate of increase was slowing.

Merlino

Reaction score
I suspect apropos is somewhat right, but I'm also inclined to say that French/Parisian women are more confident which is a trait that typifies the French as a people. More confidence breeds better dressed women, I would say. I would also say the people of Southern Europe, including the French, place more emphasis on appearances than do the people of North America or Northern Europe.

With respect to the discussion above I believe dressing well and being attractive are two different things. I'm not attracted to women that are overweight but I still believe they can dress well:

Caro+Emerald+CaroEmerald1.png

While looking French, this is a Dutch singer btw.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It may be social pressure placed on French women to look stylish, chic &c.

Do French women exhibit this trait if working in a country other that France...or a city other than Paris. It would not surprise in the least, if they did not.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having lived in Provence during school days, I find that the French prejudice for thin women is fairly uniform. Exception perhaps north towards the Belgian border due to a diet much richer with cream, butter, etc. Nevertheless, portion control is not only a personal discipline but appears ingrained in the cultural heritage.

urymoto

Reaction score
they have no mental complexes...and are very confident women...why do you think French girls are so willing to remove all their clothing so quickly...this confidence is reflected in the way they dress...
and they like to play the game as well...really dirtly little girls they are..so thats why.

whoever said its social pressure, is totally wrong. you never get anything nice with social pressure.

nb: of course this doesnt apply to ALL french girl, but it does apply to the sample were talking about

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is now about hot Persian chicks.

negusnegas

Reaction score
I spent some time in Paris and actually found it underwhelming. I spent time all over Paris and in fact was coming from Vienna and Gothenburg at the time, and would say that Swedish women looked and dressed better than Parisian women and I don't have a blond her blue eye fetish by any stretch. Also, I would say that Parisian women and the French overall have a very distinctive style, which then would contradict the statement about no two Parisian women dressing alike. The well dressed ones almost always look like something out of French Vogue or the Satorialist. I always find it funny how certain American's have a Gwyneth Paltrow and Madonna type fascination with Europe. It's really not healthy to fetishize in this way.

Frihed89

Reaction score
Good question. My impression is that older Parisian women tend to pick pastels that are somewhat reflective of french impressionist colors, but that is a pretty lame explanation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads