1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why do Parisian women dress so well?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by whenwe, Jan 15, 2011.

1. whenwe

whenwe Active Member

Like many here I'd assume, I like women who dress well. It's terrible to see women dressed in leggings that seem to be crusted from daily wear or women who just generally don't care, especially attractive women.

But in Paris, it's like a cult. Almost all the women dress well. But most importantly they have such a personalized sense of style that almost no two are alike, at least in my experiences. Even in NYC, the women who do dress well seem to be following a set of "instructions" even when trying to not follow any.

So someone explain this, and spread the gospel for maybe one day our women will be beautiful as well.
    [​IMG]

2. intent

intent Senior member

The grass is greener on the other side.
    they have such a personalized sense of style that almost no two are alike, at least in my experiences. Even in NYC, the women who do dress well seem to be following a set of "instructions" even when trying to not follow any.
    Hmm? [​IMG]

3. dbc

dbc Senior member

Because they have je nais se quoi

4. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Even in NYC, the women who do dress well seem to be following a set of "instructions" even when trying to not follow any.
    And how do you think women feel about the readily identifiable categories of male style, from all-plaid & raw SW&D workwear to all-black RO/Damir Doma bedouin get-ups or the unfortunate Jersey Shore/Affliction/Christian Audigier crowd?

5. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

Even in NYC, the women who do dress well seem to be following a set of "instructions" even when trying to not follow any.
    That's the way everyone dresses. The only people who dress with a complete individual "style" are the escaped mental patients you see on Mister Mort

6. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

French accent automatically adds 2 points to a rating, regardless of clothes.

7. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Who the fuck hates on women wearing leggings?

Would you prefer they covered themselves up completely Puritan-style?

8. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Who the fuck hates on women wearing leggings?

Would you prefer they covered themselves up completely Puritan-style?

One can admire their hotness while still thinking the "style" is stupid. I'd much rather see a girl in a skirt, even with leggings under it, than just leggings. The whole look is just much more attractive to me than a continuous expanse of spandex.

9. EBugatti

EBugatti Senior member

Because they have je ne sais quoi

FTFY

10. apropos

apropos Senior member

One can admire their hotness while still thinking the "style" is stupid. I'd much rather see a girl in a skirt, even with leggings under it, than just leggings. The whole look is just much more attractive to me than a continuous expanse of spandex.
    [​IMG]

11. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

You're seeing what you want to see.

We get many MANY french tourists around here. Including girls from Paris. Believe me they are all over the place. Just like the German ,Austrian or Swiss girls. The few Spanish girls tend to be better but that might be the small sample size.

12. apropos

apropos Senior member

You're seeing what you want to see. We get many MANY french tourists around here. Including girls from Paris. Believe me they are all over the place. Just like the German ,Austrian or Swiss girls. The few Spanish girls tend to be better but that might be the small sample size.
    +1 Also remember that as a tourist/short term visitor the areas you stay in are likely to show the best side of paris, not necessarily the whole picture. It's like visiting NYC, hanging around the UWS and concluding that all/most New Yorkers dress well. No one goes to Rio to visit a favela.

13. Lusitano

Lusitano Senior member

14. GBer

GBer Senior member

Size factor. They are just not as fat in Paris as you see in the US. Saw on the news that 1/3 of American adults are obese.

15. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

Saw on the news that 1/3 of American adults are obese.

This is - amazingly - an underestimate. Sources vary, but the working consensus by industry is that 70% of the US population is either overweight or obese, with the obese subset close to hitting 40%. FWIW, the UK, Australia and Germany aren't too far behind...

What's worse, approximately 1/3 of US children are already porky, and will only become moreso over time.

16. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

What's worse, approximately 1/3 of US children are already porky, and will only become moreso over time.

I predict it'll never exceed 100%

Sad thing is I've seen claims that the increase from 25 to 30% was good news. The rate of increase was slowing.

17. Merlino

Merlino Senior member

I suspect apropos is somewhat right, but I'm also inclined to say that French/Parisian women are more confident which is a trait that typifies the French as a people. More confidence breeds better dressed women, I would say. I would also say the people of Southern Europe, including the French, place more emphasis on appearances than do the people of North America or Northern Europe.

With respect to the discussion above I believe dressing well and being attractive are two different things. I'm not attracted to women that are overweight but I still believe they can dress well:

[​IMG]

While looking French, this is a Dutch singer btw.

18. George

George Senior member

It may be social pressure placed on French women to look stylish, chic &c.

Do French women exhibit this trait if working in a country other that France...or a city other than Paris. It would not surprise in the least, if they did not.

19. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

Having lived in Provence during school days, I find that the French prejudice for thin women is fairly uniform. Exception perhaps north towards the Belgian border due to a diet much richer with cream, butter, etc. Nevertheless, portion control is not only a personal discipline but appears ingrained in the cultural heritage.

20. apropos

apropos Senior member