• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently made the mistake of buying MMM white painted GATs. These things are ugly! Returned them the very next day.

First of all, the painted concept feels wrong. Most shoes that provide random/discolored looks have a bit of distressing to go along with it. But the GATs look like pristine shoes with white paint smeared on them as if it were some kind of "art project". Reminds me of a fair skinned young woman sporting the make up and gray straggly hair of 80 year old. Looks far better in the picture than in person. Nobody whom sees these in person would feel they look like a higher end sneaker.

The other thing I didn't like was the shape. I had expected these shoes to be somewhat sleek like CPs or chucks, yet they were more balloon like in shape. Between this shape and the glow-bright white color treatment, my eyes went straight to shoes with every fit combo I tried involving the shoes. It just didn't look integrated like a nice pair of boots would.

On the positive side, the GATs are one of the most comfortable shoes I've tried and the construction quality is pretty nice.

Still looking for a pair of low top sneakers that will work for me. So far the best I've found is CPs but I'm not entirely satisfied with how austere they can often appear.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
sucks you didn't like them--soon as they crease and sheen fades they look pretty good to me. not as sleek as cp obviously but they are very comfy indeed. i just don't like pristine white shoes so the painted ones work better for me.

ryannn

Reaction score
Need to buy another MA-1, anyone have a good suggestion? Was thinking of getting an Alpha Industry one or something.

wangvicous

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Recently made the mistake of buying MMM white painted GATs. These things are ugly! Returned them the very next day.

First of all, the painted concept feels wrong. Most shoes that provide random/discolored looks have a bit of distressing to go along with it. But the GATs look like pristine shoes with white paint smeared on them as if it were some kind of "art project". Reminds me of a fair skinned young woman sporting the make up and gray straggly hair of 80 year old. Looks far better in the picture than in person. Nobody whom sees these in person would feel they look like a higher end sneaker.

The other thing I didn't like was the shape. I had expected these shoes to be somewhat sleek like CPs or chucks, yet they were more balloon like in shape. Between this shape and the glow-bright white color treatment, my eyes went straight to shoes with every fit combo I tried involving the shoes. It just didn't look integrated like a nice pair of boots would.

On the positive side, the GATs are one of the most comfortable shoes I've tried and the construction quality is pretty nice.

Still looking for a pair of low top sneakers that will work for me. So far the best I've found is CPs but I'm not entirely satisfied with how austere they can often appear.

Its funny that you say that because when I saw them online I was ehh thats dumb, basically the same reaction that you had in person. A few days after I saw them online, I happened upon them in person and almost bought them on the spot. I probably would have bought them but I'm growing to dislike low tops on me.

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whats up with the brand t/m ? just picked up a long sleeve Tee from them at Barneys Co-Op. Real nice fabric and cut and made in Japan. Anyone know anything about this brand? Tag looks like this
DUuuw.jpg

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^fok was copping that **** back in '99

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1

I really like mine. Pairs really well with my grungy Julius denim. Though I wish I had more stuff to wear it with as I've only worn them out a handful of times. It's a shame really, because yeah, they're super comfortable to wear.

Any of you guys with the painted lows get comments on them? I usually get "your sneakers are dirty" or "what happened to your sneakers?"

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Am I the only person on styleforum without ***GATS***???? I mean, I'm sure they're very comfortable and all, but this is getting to the point where it's like if kunk posted 80000 pictures of dick dunks up in here in various combinations of black and white. What do you think those ******* "designers" are saying to each other? "Holy ****, I have the best idea! Let's make these sneakers look like an elephant's ballsack!" "No! No! How about we make sneakers that look like Peter North ******* came all over them!" "YES! YES, that's IT! We can have a Sasha Grey 'oozing creampie' version, too!" "No, hold up guys, we better make some grey ones too, you know, to be normal. Look, I have my Crayolas right here, I'll just, like, pick some colors and start scribbling." Just wait, it'll probably be the only pair of lowtops I buy when summer rolls around
ffffuuuu.gif

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snake
I really like mine. Pairs really well with my grungy Julius denim. Though I wish I had more stuff to wear it with as I've only worn them out a handful of times. It's a shame really, because yeah, they're super comfortable to wear.

Any of you guys with the painted lows get comments on them? I usually get "your sneakers are dirty" or "what happened to your sneakers?"

perfect for tee and beat up pants when this weather warms a bit. got a few compliments and one
eh.gif
reaction but who cares my level of foot comfort > that of commentators

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
Am I the only person on styleforum without ***GATS***???? I mean, I'm sure they're very comfortable and all, but this is getting to the point where it's like if kunk posted 80000 pictures of dick dunks up in here in various combinations of black and white. What do you think those ******* "designers" are saying to each other?

"Holy ****, I have the best idea! Let's make these sneakers look like an elephant's ballsack!"
"No! No! How about we make sneakers that look like Peter North ******* came all over them!"
"YES! YES, that's IT! We can have a Sasha Grey 'oozing creampie' version, too!"
"No, hold up guys, we better make some grey ones too, you know, to be normal. Look, I have my Crayolas right here, I'll just, like, pick some colors and start scribbling."

Just wait, it'll probably be the only pair of lowtops I buy when summer rolls around
ffffuuuu.gif

I have a blue pair but only bought them because they were really cheap and wanted summer beaters
redface.gif

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
Am I the only person on styleforum without ***GATS***???? I mean, I'm sure they're very comfortable and all, but this is getting to the point where it's like if kunk posted 80000 pictures of dick dunks up in here in various combinations of black and white. What do you think those ******* "designers" are saying to each other?

"Holy ****, I have the best idea! Let's make these sneakers look like an elephant's ballsack!"
"No! No! How about we make sneakers that look like Peter North ******* came all over them!"
"YES! YES, that's IT! We can have a Sasha Grey 'oozing creampie' version, too!"
"No, hold up guys, we better make some grey ones too, you know, to be normal. Look, I have my Crayolas right here, I'll just, like, pick some colors and start scribbling."

Just wait, it'll probably be the only pair of lowtops I buy when summer rolls around
ffffuuuu.gif

never owned boatshoes, redwings, german army trainers, or bucks. Will not own creepers either.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
never owned boatshoes, redwings, german army trainers, or bucks. Will not own creepers either.

I can't imagine you wearing anything other than black leather shoes or boots to be honest. Then again I don't think you do.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason

check, never, check and check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads