• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was your starting salary (approx.)?

jesse10

Reaction score
Public Accounting after graduation next year, set to make about $52,000.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I haven't been drinking as much as I used to. But I guess I'll have to start seeking out those $1 or $2 happy hour beers.
frown.gif

There's no negotiation. It's a public sector job so you just start at the same amount as everyone else.

At the interview today, they told me two things that kind of impressed me. The benefits package is extremely comprehensive and worth about $15,000. Secondly, they only promote from within, so if I distinguish myself there should be opportunities to advance.

You're young and won't use it. Doesn't that piss you off? Better start drinking again to make the most of it!

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
now that I have my final paycheck for the year...I actually know what my salary is. I get paid overtime so it was hard to tell how much I would make (a reasonable amount of OT is expected but the hours vary so it is nice to clock out at 35 hours on a slow period and get fat checks when you are raking in the billables).

I met my personal goal to within a couple hundred bucks for how much I would make vs how much overtime I would put in. Still pretty clueless as to what the bonus will look like though...I hear it varies a lot and isn't based on any sort of set formula.

xpress

Reaction score
Just graduated

50-65k (depending on commissions) in sales for a communications company.

Luckily, the cost of living in my city is basically free. (Looking at brand new 2 story homes for ~150k)

LeadSmall3BetAllIN

Reaction score
I'd say around 500-700k when I start a shop after i retire from poker and write a check to myself for some sinecure position.

thromb

Reaction score
finished grad school 2007 - starting 120k in houston.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
A shade over $21,000 with no benefits for a four-day workweek at a major metropolitan newspaper that hired recent graduates and paid them peanuts to provide coverage of its suburban communities. This was 13 years ago and it was arguably the best job I ever had.

997CTSurg

Alpha-M
Reaction score
Intern year: 31K for 120hour+ work weeks (no work hour requirement at that time)
10 years later as a Chief Resident in Thoracic surgery 50K
Starting salary as a Cardiac surgeon was 250k
I figure I earned every penny the hard way.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
After law school in 2003 it was 32k, but quickly increased as I proved myself willing and able to defend child rapists and drug dealers.

LOL. good man. that's hilarious.

no first salary yet =X

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads