• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was your starting salary (approx.)?

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 997CTSurg
Intern year: 31K for 120hour+ work weeks (no work hour requirement at that time) 10 years later as a Chief Resident in Thoracic surgery 50K Starting salary as a Cardiac surgeon was 250k I figure I earned every penny the hard way.
How did it take you 10 years to get to chief resident. Jesus. 5 years of general surgery, and then CT fellowship was 5 years?

997CTSurg

Alpha-M
Reaction score
5 clinical years of general surgery and two years in research
3 years of CT surgery

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
When I got out of college ('76) it was OK to start at a grand a month.

I knew a guy who was making $35K, driving a new Porsche and getting lots of ***** for making big money.
smile.gif

I think I made, along with a generous bonus a total of around $20K my first year and had a company car.

This is the same year or a year after my dad graduated; I think he told me his plan if not getting married was to live at home while working a $12,000/year job, because 911's were half that and he was gonna buy one within a year. He got married instead and to this day hasn't bought a Porsche.

Before graduation, I worked full time at a marketing info company doing desk research, it only paid like $2000/month because that was the standard in Asia at the time, 2002.

I graduated in 2005, came back to Seoul to teach ESL, I worked at a school but got paid hourly and got $27/hour, for 120 hours a month in good terms, low enrollment terms I'd get closer to 100 hours, but work never exceeded 6 hours a day. It was just either 4, 5, or 6 days a week, M-Sat, so paychecks varied between $3200 to a little over $4000, taxes paid, housing free. With the 6 hours of work a day I got bored and got a second job and made some more money, so the first and second year I made about $70 or 80K, cash money. It was good money but soul sucking work. Some people here can do it for years, for far less. I lucked out and got a pretty good paying job in that sense, I'd say the average for new ESL teachers is more like $30K/year if they're not being tricked.

BC2012

Reaction score
45k in 2007. Strategy consulting position at a decent firm.

Left that job pretty quickly - flying around the damned country and never seeing friends/family got old. Took a job in finance in 2008 making $60k (with bonus). Now I'm in a finance program where the average starting salary for grads is ~$90-100k.

SenorMatador

Reaction score
Conne- I feel your pain. Claw and fight your way up and grab that brass ring. With some hard work, us young kids will be able to look back and laugh at what we went through.

First job after college: $21,000 as a TV news reporter. Stress out the wazoo, unpredictable hours, small town and got lowballed by a station that chews up kids straight out of college.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little under $20k

newinny

Reaction score
$67k with a 10k bonus in 2007.

Middle office finance job.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by newinny
$67k with a 10k bonus in 2007.

Middle office finance job.

Are you still working in finance?

newinny

Reaction score
Whoops, it wasn't $67k it was 76 - 78ish. I remember I got offered 70k and bargained upwards.

I was in finance for 3 years and now am back in school. Exit salary & bonus was $120k.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by newinny
Whoops, it wasn't $67k it was 76 - 78ish. I remember I got offered 70k and bargained upwards.

I was in finance for 3 years and now am back in school. Exit salary & bonus was $120k.

Do you catch any flack for being MO by any FO guys?

newinny

Reaction score
Not within the bank itself.

Front office folks need the functions of middle office folks (treasury, risk, finance, etc.) to do their jobs and wouldn't be so stupid as to f*ck that up.

In bars I met one or two bankers over three years that were dicks.

Sherlock

Reaction score
My first job I got after graduating with a bachelor's in CS a few years ago paid 36k. I stayed there for a year then found something better.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First year out of architecture school ... at what was at that time THE hottest firm in New York. A grand total of $13,000 per year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads