• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
red posted some good advice about proportions, then it all got silly. don't knock silhouette, ****'s important

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by softy
What did I tell you about that cardigan
mad.gif

Yeah yeah yeah, I know. I figured I might catch hell for that but whatever. I will get something better, and when I do, I'll wear that. But it's been like 2 days so that hasn't happened yet.
uhoh.gif

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't know what this reflexive "all MC advice is corny advice" refrain is. I assume that those of you who don't wear workwear 24x7 understand and appreciate the fundamentals of menswear, which is essentially what everything on a runway is grounded in to some extent. (excepting maybe Damir Doma and Vibskov?) How can you bring a good SWD game if you don't know **** about how to hem your pants? Can't boottuck or cuff-roll forever, lads.

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren
Yeah yeah yeah, I know. I figured I might catch hell for that but whatever. I will get something better, and when I do, I'll wear that. But it's been like 2 days so that hasn't happened yet.
uhoh.gif

It's all good. You're looking increasingly photogenic, Poindexter. Oh, but nix the tiebar. Flair overload.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
if I ever find your marni shoes I'm keeping them for myself

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
red posted some good advice about proportions, then it all got silly. don't knock silhouette, ****'s important
Thanks. I get kind of annoyed when I get dismissed just because I'm mainly from MC, but it's all love. I just like busting balls. All I was posting was basic advice that, I think, sets a good foundation for the poster to build off of. He's dealing with being 5'2" - the first thing he has to nail down is fit and making himself look taller. After that he can play with more interesting cuts and designs. I don't think what I posted is terribly controversial, but rather pretty basic introductory advice for someone his height. I was busting jet's balls earlier, but I do think a synthesis between MC and SWD is best. I don't have pictures to show, but my ideal is some of the rules about fit in MC mixed with the casual elements that SWD does better (for example knits). SWD seems to have a better grasp of more experimental and interesting elements, and think mixing those elements with really classic fits provides for a much better synthesis than the boring looks on MC or the overly experimental stuff on SWD. I don't care for the overly costume sailor/ lumberjack/ heritage stuff on here (or the equally ridiculously costume trad or wacky suits stuff on MC), but I think Ervell, MMM, Schneider, and Phillip Lim are making really interesting things. Pair those with some really well fitting things and you have a much better outfit than either side typically tends to produce (on average). However, style is incredibly personal and should evolve naturally and organically. This is partly the reason why I think it's ridiculous when someone comes out looking like a lumberjack with J Crew shoes. It lacks character and imagination. Lastly, I didn't say I've only seen one good thing on B&S. Some of my favorite things have come from softy's sales threads. I'm just saying that both on MC and SWD, good items are rarely to be had. I'm sure everyone can attest to how much chaff we have to wade through just to get to something exciting.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
moo has a better one of those fits

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by softy
What did I tell you about that cardigan
mad.gif

It's been two days, I think he's improving a lot.

I'm also not crazy about your cardigan, but I understand the need to go for something slightly more interesting. Putting on a plain solid color merino wool cardigan would make what you're wearing really unimaginative and uninteresting.

Maybe try to find a cardigan with some interesting material (like lambswool, which tends to have more depth), color, or flecks? I've yet to see something myself, so I can't point you to anything. Jet posted some cardigan thread that had some good pictures, however, if you want to start there for some ideas.

I would also lose the tie bar, mainly because it's so overplayed and contrived at this point. However, note that most people will think it's super cool, so I understand if you want to play towards different audiences.

Still gotta find a better shirt for that neck. I don't know if tall collars are necessarily the answer, but it could be. Check Phatty Guido's shirts. He has ridiculously tall collars, but I think you'd have to go bespoke for that. A good bespoke shirt will run you about $150 per shirt, but you only need like 4-5 shirts anyway, so it's not terribly bad.

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where have you been? This is a bona fide original and one of the crowning images in the Creepy Satorial Images thread.

cowsareforeating

Reaction score
^ i just wasted time on that thread too
ffffuuuu.gif

whats wrong with american heritage look
-____-
i think its definitely getting overdone, but seeing as the basis for all of that is heavier and thick textured materials and knits... i dont see how its fundamentally boring or bad :[

=

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads