• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was your starting salary (approx.)?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
$45k in 2007. I have since moved up one tax bracket.

So, living in Canada, you're making 45.5k now?
laugh.gif

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Once my fixed expenses are accounted for, I would have around $800/mo. in discretionary dough. That doesn't seem like a lot, but I'd be living in a city and thus wouldn't be driving my car daily...so really, food and entertainment are the big things there. I think that's doable on $800. But I really want to save money and that's going to be a struggle.

What is your alcohol budget? Or does that fall under "entertainment". Probably there are guys here spending $33K/year on shoes...

I think the main issue is, is there any negotiation on the starting salary? Or does it mean that if you take this job it automatically means you get 33K. You don't want to leave any money on the table.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
pm me about that

Originally Posted by LA Guy
^

I know, right? I'm making a list of who is buying the Styleforum crew dinner in January in NYC.

Adds thenanyu.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
So, living in Canada, you're making 45.5k now?
laugh.gif

My mom gave me the extra $500 for my birthday and I reported it as income by mistake.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
My mom gave me the extra $500 for my birthday and I reported it as income by mistake.

laugh.gif

I remember getting taxed on my paper route...in Grade six.

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
I'm in a different situation, since I live in an area with an incredibly low cost of living and a lack of great jobs for people without specialized education, but my first year out of college I made about $30K (2008) with an INCREDIBLE benefits package. Since then, I left that world (graphic design for a manufacturer) to work with a very small, and very underfunded non-profit program making significantly less. I have savings, though, and I'm in school to fulfill my requirements to sit for the CPA exam, so I was able to indulge the desire to do some do-gooder stuff while i'm in class.

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
$47K in 2002 @ a NYC DAs office.

Always dreamed of being a prosecutor, so turned down BigLaw at 2 1/2 X the salary. I love my job and have had tremendous success. Still question my decision quite regularly.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
I'm sure these guys love to fly, but I'd really prefer the guy flying the plane I'm in to be paid adequately.

I, obviously, agree 100%. Those salary numbers are all thanks to pilot unions.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by borderline
What is your alcohol budget? Or does that fall under "entertainment". Probably there are guys here spending $33K/year on shoes... I think the main issue is, is there any negotiation on the starting salary? Or does it mean that if you take this job it automatically means you get 33K. You don't want to leave any money on the table.
I haven't been drinking as much as I used to. But I guess I'll have to start seeking out those $1 or $2 happy hour beers.
frown.gif
There's no negotiation. It's a public sector job so you just start at the same amount as everyone else. At the interview today, they told me two things that kind of impressed me. The benefits package is extremely comprehensive and worth about $15,000. Secondly, they only promote from within, so if I distinguish myself there should be opportunities to advance.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
^

I know, right? I'm making a list of who is buying the Styleforum crew dinner in January in NYC.

Adds thenanyu.

I'll buy a round of beers.

Not that expensive Belgian stuff though
mad.gif

Pale Male

Reaction score
I ask: What's the Poverty Line where the job is?

If salary less than PL, helps to have a kindly parent or two, or aunt/uncle...

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2006 to work at a large accounting firm - $48k with $1.5k sign on bonus for my first year

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got hired in 2000 for $32,000/year in Finance. Ended up making closer to $40,000 because a lot of overtime was available and I took whatever they let me take.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads