• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mafoofan struggles to buy breast wallet at Hermes . . . arises victorious!

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Srynerson
Based on Moo's description of the wallet and its price, my best guess would be the "Arsène":

http://usa.hermes.com/webapp/wcs/sto...tegoryId=82519

On their website, they call it the Long Wallet.

I suppose there's a possibility that when Foo asked for breast wallet, the SA thought he was screwing around with her and responded accordingly.

Imagine going to a butcher shop and ask for 'dead cow'....

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PoodleMommy
To own a piece of H is to love it, to have a relationship with an H SA is also important. There is so much more to H than the actual piece of leather. Maybe you are just not "worthy," whoever you are.
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Mind you alot of these people are probably wives of bigtimers that are looking for something to do with their time outside of lunching.
young-blonde-woman_~x12239949.jpg
+1

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know, I'm intrigued by the suggestion of an earlier poster that at least some of those folks are resellers / fake collectors - for example, that HermesOnly guy is either a trust fund baby who's very good at being a spendthrift, or someone who more or less is advertising fakes. Certainly some of the people don't... seem... like the type to fit the "exclusive" mold they keep talking about, but all that really matters in the end is money, so who knows.

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
I don't know, I'm intrigued by the suggestion of an earlier poster that at least some of those folks are resellers / fake collectors - for example, that HermesOnly guy is either a trust fund baby who's very good at being a spendthrift, or someone who more or less is advertising fakes. Certainly some of the people don't... seem... like the type to fit the "exclusive" mold they keep talking about, but all that really matters in the end is money, so who knows.

There is no exclusivity if you ask me. Those chinese coal mine owners buy Hermes left and right with their new money. Mind you, these are bunch of cold blooded bastards who hire minors under age 10, and treat their workers like prisoners in a Nazi camp.

At the end, money talks. People who view Hermes stuff will bring them the elitist social status need a reality check.

cakeymakeybakey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP

It's interesting to note the misperceptions about what kind of people own expensive luxury goods. There is no mold. I went to tea at Bergdorf's with a few members of the Purse Forum, and if you had walked by our table, you would never have suspected that the motley crew of women sitting there collectively owned over $100,000 in Hermès leather bags.

Spend some time on your new "sister" forum, and you'll discover quite a few interesting and paradigm-shattering tidbits.

Oh, and just to set things straight, yes, there are some posters who are resellers, and very lovely members of the forum. That's one of the ways that the folks who don't fit your "exclusive" mold acquire their Hermès bags. There are also fakesters, and people who post pictures of their replica bags. But we usually ferret them out pretty quickly, and they get banned.

"That HermesOnly guy" is a really awesome person, and his bags are most definitely not fake. Please don't try to judge our members just from the few pictures and posts you've looked at in the past day or so.

And yes, we do have some good smilies, but you fellows have got
foo.gif
, which trumps them all.

Thanks for the opportunity for some cross-forum interaction.
smile.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ohh... so many new threads to derail!

biggrin.gif

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Checkerboard13 Sucks
No it's a button you have to push but the stupid manager was on the Phone.

Ah, the old 'pretend you're on the phone' trick...

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cakeymakeybakey
It's interesting to note the misperceptions about what kind of people own expensive luxury goods. There is no mold. I went to tea at Bergdorf's with a few members of the Purse Forum, and if you had walked by our table, you would never have suspected that the motley crew of women sitting there collectively owned over $100,000 in Hermès leather bags.

Spend some time on your new "sister" forum, and you'll discover quite a few interesting and paradigm-shattering tidbits.

Oh, and just to set things straight, yes, there are some posters who are resellers, and very lovely members of the forum. That's one of the ways that the folks who don't fit your "exclusive" mold acquire their Hermès bags. There are also fakesters, and people who post pictures of their replica bags. But we usually ferret them out pretty quickly, and they get banned.

"That HermesOnly guy" is a really awesome person, and his bags are most definitely not fake. Please don't try to judge our members just from the few pictures and posts you've looked at in the past day or so.

And yes, we do have some good smilies, but you fellows have got
foo.gif
, which trumps them all.

Thanks for the opportunity for some cross-forum interaction.
smile.gif

Thank you for your comment... but I urge you to also "Spend some time on your new "brother" forum, and you'll discover quite a few interesting and paradigm-shattering tidbits." In addition "Please don't try to judge our members just from the few pictures and posts you've looked at in the past day or so."

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read the OP and all I could think was, "This sounds exactly like a woman trying to tell a guy she doesn't want to go out on a second date with him." Yes, the SA should have been clearer about Hermes' policy, but Foo is a smart guy and should have been able to read between the lines.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think if was in foos shoes (which are probably nice shoes to be in) my head would have exploded.
i know all about their exclusive ordering procces but there is a much classier and professional way to go about doing it. even if you are not a know customer to hermes, the SA should know that potentially you will be. maybe you will be fine with their process and 100k later you will get that breast wallet. i have been in retail for over 10 years and the most basic rule is never make assumptions about anyone who walks in your store, be honest polite and upfront. i doubt anyone in hermes in a managment position or higher would be pleased with that exchange, for all they know they lost a large customer. i would have some harsh words if any of my employees behaved that way.

its amazing how much has been brought to the table by this thread, thanks foo!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Damn TS, you're really winning their hearts over there.

Looking for a rich wife!
tongue.gif

cakeymakeybakey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
Thank you for your comment... but I urge you to also "Spend some time on your new "brother" forum, and you'll discover quite a few interesting and paradigm-shattering tidbits." In addition "Please don't try to judge our members just from the few pictures and posts you've looked at in the past day or so."

I'm pretty sure I haven't made any sweeping generalizations about anyone here like "pretend noveau riche" or "trust fund baby" or "wives of bigtimers that are looking for something to do with their time outside of lunching." You know from the posts of mine that you've responded to on the Purse Forum that I'm actually quite interested in an intelligent discussion of this entire topic.

The only slightly egregious and sarcastic comment I ever made was that mafoofan's status as one of the top five finalists in the Esquire Best Dressed Real Man contest possibly made him or others believe him to be important enough that the sales associate in the Madison Hermès should fall down with gratitude that he wanted to custom-order a wallet.
satisfied.gif

Now that I've had the opportunity to have some thoughtful dialog about the almost surreal situation which he reported to have transpired, I must concur (as do many of the other members of our forum) that the situation should not have occurred that way, and some changes to Hermès selling approach are in order.

Doxe

Reaction score
I have a friend whose sister works for Hermes as a SA. I'm going to ask about the custom ordering quota.

And for the record, nearly every SA I've met at a luxury men's store has no idea about whether a suit is fused or canvassed, or about front or back balance, or sleeve pitch. Why would a SA at Hermes be any less ignorant.

Some people are supposed to be ditch diggers. If God didn't want them sheared, he wouldn't have made them sheep.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd like to point out that nothing I reported here says anything about Hermes's special order policy. Nobody should jump to any conclusions about what they do or don't do based on my posts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads