• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

loreley

Reaction score
BTW, most definitely XS unless you have freakishly long arms...

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
How close to the waist do you guys keep your peacoats? Do you wear them over several layers or just over a single shirt?

I ordered the JCrew peacoat to try out and they're massive in the body but this is my first experience with a peacoat so I'm not exactly sure if that's how they're supposed to be.

A peacoat should give a fitted appearance when worn with just a shirt, and large enough to comfortably allow a sweater to be worn when it gets cold. Of course what is "cold" depends on the individual. For me I add a sweater when the high for the day is below freezing.

Perhaps you got a size or two too large? I would send it back and try for something smaller in the chest.

mrpress

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Urijah1086
Is it supposed to have functional pockets on the front?

Carefully take a scissor or knife and cut the stitches in the seam. Instant functional pockets.

Epik

Reaction score
Fidelity one looks great, Moss. Definitely worth the money spent at the tailor. People don't pay the tailor for nothing.

The stock images of the Fidelity pea coat and pea coats in general aren't that good but they're very quality garments.

andrewgreg

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh
I find if I put the collar up like this and button it closed around my neck, the wind won't get in and the coat will be warmer, but is the peacoat suppose to be worn like this? it looks strange (look, there is another guy behind the first)
jennifer-connelly-paul-bettany-pea-coat-couple-03.jpg

Spooted, Balenciaga Bag in Giant silver hw. LOOOOVE it.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peacoat
A peacoat should give a fitted appearance when worn with just a shirt, and large enough to comfortably allow a sweater to be worn when it gets cold. Of course what is "cold" depends on the individual. For me I add a sweater when the high for the day is below freezing. Perhaps you got a size or two too large? I would send it back and try for something smaller in the chest.
Thanks for the answer. I've got a +10 drop so every coat looks enormous on me. I was just wondering how much room to leave in the chest/shoulders in case of layering. I suspect I'll go TTS and just tailor the **** out of the body. That Fidelity coat looks very nice. Good price too.

illumin8em

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mossrockss
Not that anyone cares, but I love my Fidelity satin-lined peacoat. Bought it last winter, put about $50 of tailoring into it to slim it down. Best coat ever.
_MG_7281.jpg

Originally Posted by Epik
Fidelity one looks great, Moss. Definitely worth the money spent at the tailor. People don't pay the tailor for nothing. The stock images of the Fidelity pea coat and pea coats in general aren't that good but they're very quality garments.
. "For Sale" slim fitting size 40 Fidelity like the one above Turns out i needed a 42
134aa643-1-1.jpg

Urijah1086

Reaction score
Went to the Polo outlet today and they had this Peacoat for $299, I have a 20% off coupon till tomorrow and am debating weather or not to return the J Crew for the Polo or keep the J Crew? Dilemmas Dilemmas :
pe66255681.jpg

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Urijah1086
Went to the Polo outlet today and they had this Peacoat for $299, I have a 20% off coupon till tomorrow and am debating weather or not to return the J Crew for the Polo or keep the J Crew? Dilemmas Dilemmas :

Depends where you live. If you're in a cold climate then I would stick with the J Crew since the Polo is a nylon mix which won't be as warm as 100% wool.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its pretty overpriced for a standard peacoat. your paying for the brand name

if you have the money and you like the way it fits, then go for it. but there are options much cheaper

my shamless plug for example ... i have a Sterlingwear Authentic Peacoat in 34R for sale!!!

Rankiz

Reaction score
What do you think about this Charles Tyrwhitt peacoat for casual use? I'm 17. 90% wool and 10% cashmere. Only 145 £. Link
2v9dkyb.jpg

wsblend

Reaction score
The Tyrwhitt peacoat looks very military, moreso than most any peacoat I've seen sold by US brands in that it has brass buttons and even epaulets. Nothing wrong with that but that should be exactly what you want. Otherwise, you can get a more civilian-ized version with buttons that match the wool and not epaulets.

Last, the Tyrwhitt coat, at 169 GBP which is about $265 USD, isn't overly expensive in that it has a wool/cashmere shell but unless that's exactly what you want, you can get a 100% wool or wool/synthetic fabric coat for a much lower price.

If you really want my opinion which is based on my assumptions about you.. since you're 17 and you want the coat for what you describe as casual use, you can probably be happy with a coat that isn't quite as expensive and is probably more durable. FWIW.

Peacoat

Reaction score
While that peacoat attempts to look military, it misses the mark on several points. First off, those type of buttons were only used from 1976 to the early 80s, and they aren't an exact replica; it's just something that looks close. The coat is too long for a peacoat, and peacoats have never had epaulets.

Other than those relatively minor points, I'm sure it is a well made peacoat inspired civilian fashion garment, but it isn't a peacoat. However, what counts is whether you like it--not what we say about it. If you like it, buy it. It will probably keep you warm this winter, and that is what really matters.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads