• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
w v g has a size 46 left. here are some pics of my size 40. ******* amazing peacoat people. ******* amazing!

http://www.wolfvsgoat.com/store/peacoat-in-navy

DSCN0069.jpg
DSCN0071.jpg

It's a nice coat, at least on paper. I'm sure it's amazing, but it's close o $700 right ? For technically, a pea coat. That's just way too much IMO...but that's just me.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^

it retailed for just under $600, which its worth every penny plus many many more. but they are actually on sale for under $300, which is a total steal for this piece. i think he is updating his inventory in the next few days. if any of you are after a NICE p-c, id look into this.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
^

it retailed for just under $600, which its worth every penny plus many many more. but they are actually on sale for under $300, which is a total steal for this piece. i think he is updating his inventory in the next few days. if any of you are after a NICE p-c, id look into this.

That's definitely a good deal for a coat that sounds like it's rock solid.

Vecna

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hboogz
That's definitely a good deal for a coat that sounds like it's rock solid.
I'm definitely going to keep my eye on it, I'm looking for a coat in the 200-350 price range. My blazer size is 42L, should I size up? I'll be thumbing through the pages of this thread, but if anyone has any tips on a solid quality coat that's in that price range and actually in stock (perhaps try-onable) I'd appreciate it. NY weather, so expecting mid 20s F this winter. J. Crew seems popular- is thinsulate a must? Is Ralph Lauren preferable? If it would be my main winter coat, I assume I should choose charcoal over black, thoughts?

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh
Sometimes I like to wear my peacoat when I am at home, if I wear it too much will anything bad happen to it? It is quite comfortable and it has gotten real soft and I wear it like a t-shirt now. Just wondering if it is possible to wear my coat too much, I have heard bad things happening like the elbows wearing out, should I be concerned? What problems might I encounter if I go this route? I want my peacoat to last a long time.

Iroh, don't let them give you a hard time. You wear your peacoat anytime you want.

I had a girlfriend in college who also wore her peacoat around the apartment. Except she wore nothing under it. Quite the show she could put on. As it turned out, she enjoyed showing off a little too much. When you posted the above message, it brought back fond memories of days long since past.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peacoat
Iroh, don't let them give you a hard time. You wear your peacoat anytime you want.

I had a girlfriend in college who also wore her peacoat around the apartment. Except she wore nothing under it. Quite the show she could put on. As it turned out, she enjoyed showing off a little too much. When you posted the above message, it brought back fond memories of days long since past.

Wow, dont you wish there was a way to go back to those days? Sounds very interesting.
1159[1].gif

jsallen10

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wsblend
They sell the regular-length, regular-fit versions in store so if you order a tall or a slim fit, then yeah.

I may still order the Sterlingwear and then I can compare the two side-by-side. Not sure.

Where do they have "slim fit" peacoats? I only saw tall as an option. Btw, I just received the coat I bought online and the body is rather large. I don't think this is any different from the one I tried on in store...

louie_jack6

Reaction score
Hello. I'm new here. I just ordered a Sterlingwear 38XL and then I freaked out thinking I got it too small so I cancelled the order before they could send it so I didn't have to pay 20 bucks for shipping. My chest is a 38 but I'm think I might be putting on a bit weight within the next couple of years so I thought a 38 would be too small if that happened. Am I an idot for think this? (Probably.) I just didn't want to waste a bunch of money buying something that's not gonna fit. Would I be okay buying a 40 or would that just look way to big on me right now? I don't want the coat ot be tight or anything, but I do want it to be fitting and not baggy. I tried a 40 in another brand at the local surplus, and that seemed okay. Could anybody give me any advice? Thanks.

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by louie_jack6
Hello. I'm new here. I just ordered a Sterlingwear 38XL and then I freaked out thinking I got it too small so I cancelled the order before they could send it so I didn't have to pay 20 bucks for shipping. My chest is a 38 but I'm think I might be putting on a bit weight within the next couple of years so I thought a 38 would be too small if that happened. Am I an idot for think this? (Probably.) I just didn't want to waste a bunch of money buying something that's not gonna fit. Would I be okay buying a 40 or would that just look way to big on me right now? I don't want the coat ot be tight or anything, but I do want it to be fitting and not baggy. I tried a 40 in another brand at the local surplus, and that seemed okay. Could anybody give me any advice? Thanks.

Sterlingwear civilian is normally a bit of a boxy fit. Even if you put on 15 lbs. it ought to still fit you. If you are in a climate that gets below freezing in the winter (which is most of us in the US), you will need a sweater under the peacoat. Don't want it so closely fitted that it is not comfortable to layer. If you are in the very deep South, or parts of California, you can get by with a closely fitted coat as no sweater would normally be needed in the winter. In your case that would be, perhaps, a 36.

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clarksdb
Wow, dont you wish there was a way to go back to those days? Sounds very interesting.
1159[1].gif

Yes, she was an interesting study in female sexuality. The stories I could tell. I have met a few similar lasses along the way, but yet each different in her own way, and each with her own individual way of putting on a show. However, and getting back to the topic of peacoats, she was the only one to wear a peacoat with nothing on underneath.

wsblend

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jsallen10
Where do they have "slim fit" peacoats? I only saw tall as an option. Btw, I just received the coat I bought online and the body is rather large. I don't think this is any different from the one I tried on in store...

I think I was mistaken about the JCrew Peacoat being offered in a 'slim' version- rather, it was the JCrew University coat that was offered in 'slim' which itself is sold out in the median sizes.

Speaking of the former, my order for a JCrew Tall Thinsulate Peacoat got cancelled yesterday on 12/7 after I had placed it on 12/4, due to it now being out of stock. It seems the JCrew peacoat is popular.

louie_jack6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peacoat
Sterlingwear civilian is normally a bit of a boxy fit. Even if you put on 15 lbs. it ought to still fit you. If you are in a climate that gets below freezing in the winter (which is most of us in the US), you will need a sweater under the peacoat. Don't want it so closely fitted that it is not comfortable to layer. If you are in the very deep South, or parts of California, you can get by with a closely fitted coat as no sweater would normally be needed in the winter. In your case that would be, perhaps, a 36.

Cool. So I don't even have to worry about possibly sizing up? I would definitely like to have the option to layer a sweatshirt or something under it. Also, how trustworthy is Sterlingwear's measurements? I emailed their customer service and they recommended a size 40 saying that it's actual chest measurement is 38". They also told me the shoulder to shoulder was 18". Other places that sell Sterlingwear online recommend sizing up 1 or 2 sizes because they are "extremely fitting" and anything less would cause an uncomfortable fit. I'm just having a hell of a time deciphering all this nonsense. I didn't think purchasing such a common coat would be such a pain **********.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics