• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lapel flower pin

hymo

Reaction score
slide_1133_17823_large.jpg
slide_1133_17824_large.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that the WWI poppy worn in the UK (and other commonwealth countries) only in Novemeber?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that the WWI poppy worn in the UK (and other commonwealth countries) only in Novemeber?

You are (almost) correct. Poppies are sold and displayed in November in England with the money raised going to the British legion which is a charity that supports all veterans not just WW1 as there aren't any of those left. This IMO is a million miles away from the ridiculous affectation of the felt flower.
'The Last Tommy' is a very good book about our last WW1 vet.

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Almost certainly to commemorate 'the fallen', but in true Royal style, his is different to the usual, two-leaved, paper variety the rest of us get.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
You are (almost) correct. Poppies are sold and displayed in November in England with the money raised going to the British legion which is a charity that supports all veterans not just WW1 as there aren't any of those left. This IMO is a million miles away from the ridiculous affectation of the felt flower.

Yeah, but the origin of the symbol is the poem "In Flanders Field," right? (Written by a Canuck.)

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah, but the origin of the symbol is the poem "In Flanders Field," right? (Written by a Canuck.)

Well it was either that or 'Children's Crusade' by Sting!!

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Wow...this makes me feel really old. I spent a good portion of three youthful summers working on a farm that was tenant farmed by a German-American WWI American vet. H was a complex and funny guy who believed in luck.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by F. Corbera
Wow...this makes me feel really old.

I spent a good portion of three youthful summers working on a farm that was tenant farmed by a German-American WWI American vet. H was a complex and funny guy who believed in luck.

I posted pictures before of my Dad who was an RAF pilot in WW2. His mentor at RAF Cranwell was an old boy who had been in the cavalry in WW1 but as horses were useless in the mud most of them were sent off for retraining as pilots. He was a wonderful old fella who lived well into his eighties even though he lied about his age, but like most of these people would regail you for hours about all the daft things they got up to but never told any combat stories. My old man was the same. After he died my Mam gave me his one set of gold chain linked cufflinks and it was only then that I realized that the monogram on them wasn't his and they had most likely belonged to one of his mates who never made it back. I never wear gold but will always keep these along with a few other mementoes as I always say the memory of those old boys should be kept alive even though there aren't even many WW2 vets left now.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Holy smoke..

She is beautiful...

pls see "brunette girl appreciation thread" for moar!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm in Istanbul today, saw a french guy wearing a jewlery flower in his lapel. had to be 1.5 inches across. didn't like it

deepitm

Reaction score

Normally don't wear anything in my lapel button hole, but I kind of like the flower pin this guy is sporting. Is there a name for this? Where can they be found?http://www.thesartorialist.com/photo...ip_2406Web.jpg
Didn't really seem like anyone answered the OP's question. This is the closest I've found to the picture: http://www.etsy.com/listing/54240211/wool-felt-flower-lapel-pin. However, as someone else indicated, Mr. K on SF sells his versions here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/255295/mr-ks-lapel-flower-thread-with-all-styles-and-updates. Finally, they have a version at J and HP: http://jandhp.bigcartel.com/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads