• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***THE OFFICIAL Los Angeles Chat Thread***

EMY

Reaction score
anyone been to Mi Place in Pasadena lately? how was it?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any SFers planning to go to the AAAC dinner in BH on Friday evening? I thought I'd go unless the weather suddenly turns beastly hot.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EMY
anyone been to Mi Place in Pasadena lately? how was it?

Not lately but I went when I was younger. Typical Italian, pricey for what it is, not great, but definitely not bad. Total date spot.

melwoesblvd

Reaction score
anyone here work at el gallo giro? yea i bet theres a couple of you, don't lie!

BigPoppa

Reaction score
New to LA, never been to a game at the Coliseum. I know it's not in the greatest neighborhood, but are there sportsbars nearby if I wanted to show up extra early (to beat the traffic) and watch other games until the USC game starts?

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Has anyone been to Choza Mama in old town pas yet? i'm definitely stoked about a peruvian restaurant being in the area, but the yelp reviews are mixed. people are stupid though so i'll definitely be trying it myself.

Phiberglass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BigPoppa
New to LA, never been to a game at the Coliseum. I know it's not in the greatest neighborhood, but are there sportsbars nearby if I wanted to show up extra early (to beat the traffic) and watch other games until the USC game starts?

I recently moved to LA right next to SC. There's not much down here though. I would probably recommend the Lab Gastropub. It's about 3-4 blocks north of the Coliseum. That's the only bar/pub type restaurant around this area that is decent I've found so far. There are a few other bars, notably the 901 bar and grill (The 9-0) at 2902 Figueroa St., Los Angeles, CA, 90007. This place is covered in students all the time, and for sure on a game day. They also recently redid the 'Traditions' bar, which is USC's campus bar, I'm unsure if that's open to the public or just students though.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^It's a dinner for habituees of Ask Andy About Clothes at McCormick & Schmidt's restaurant on Rodeo Drive. The illustrious Mr. Andy Gilchrist will be present. Starts at 6:00. I am going in (dressy) casual daywear. I hope all the iGents won't be in black tie, making me feel like a yokel!

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
^It's a dinner for habituees of Ask Andy About Clothes at McCormick & Schmidt's restaurant on Rodeo Drive. The illustrious Mr. Andy Gilchrist will be present. Starts at 6:00. I am going in (dressy) casual daywear. I hope all the iGents won't be in black tie, making me feel like a yokel!

was he wearing that ring?

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Something started bugging me today. Who the hell is "Santa Monica," the patron saint of lowriders?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
Something started bugging me today. Who the hell is "Santa Monica," the patron saint of lowriders?

In a way, yes. Saint Monica was the mother of Saint Augustine, who was a degenerate dirtbag before he saw the light and became a saint. So because poor Monica had to put up with having a 'bad son', she became the patron saint of dirtbags and lowlives, many of whom drive lowriders. Why the question?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other than having a "live-in girlfriend," as we'd say today, how was he such a lowlife and dirtbag? It's been many a year since I read the Confessions, but I have a feeling if we applied such epithets to him, they would have to be affixed to a great many SFers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads