• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnyrich7
Thanks PP. Question on the fitting though. My foot isn't wide like yours, and is a standard D, so with your experience do you think the E on the 8E might be too wide?

Originally Posted by monologuist
2 cents...only thing to be careful with the E width is even if it is better fit in the forefoot, don't forget that the heel will be roomier too. Too big in the heel is perhaps even more problematic than in forefoot.

Thanks Mono. Didn't really take that into consideration, but that's a good point. Anyone else with any experience with this please chime in.

rick

Reaction score
so i pretty much have aldens with all soles they carry. i will rank them which i find the most comfy in order.

1. crepe sole not the best looking sole but extremely comfy

2 commando sole a close second great for bad weather

3. double leather

4. single leather

5 neoprene cork sole i find uncomfortable and you will break your neck if there is any snow on the ground.

i am sure i missed some, but bored at work so what the hell.

dznqbit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phantomx48
This is what happens when you are bored late at night and you end up buying stuff you dont need on Amazon.com just because it's shiny and colorful (the wife hates it, but they are starting to grow on me, I will see what happens when I put the other lace on and put them on my feet):
photo65nl.jpg

Originally Posted by g transistor
They're awful and you should listen to the lady.

haha, I like it.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^i dont HATE it but it make it look like a much cheaper boot than it deserves, like something from urban outfitters

also makes you look like a trendy wannabe hiker (again reference to urban outfitters and those that frequent there). one could pull it off with the correct outfit but i would say better not to even try.

joz411no

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rick
so i pretty much have aldens with all soles they carry. i will rank them which i find the most comfy in order.

3. double leather

4. single leather

5 neoprene cork sole i find uncomfortable and you will break your neck if there is any snow on the ground.

Double-Oiled/Waterlock sole? Always wondered about those. Don't have them yet.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnyrich7
Thanks Mono. Didn't really take that into consideration, but that's a good point. Anyone else with any experience with this please chime in.

I have a wide flat foot. My problem is that if i want a shoe to fit my foot (ie. not have my wide feet spill out over the welt on the sides) i have to order an E width. However if i order the E width the uppers lace up very close to one another...almost touching, and my heel tents to slip out on newer shoes that have not broken in yet.

So i default and buy D widths, this way they lace up the way they should and my heel stays in place...but my feet tend to balloon out a little more than i would like, on the sides. Cant win...

my $0.02

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rick

3. double leather

4. single leather

You are missing flex welt and waterlock. I don't have the waterlock (double flex welt or oiled soles), but the flex welt is my second most comfortable sole . . . right below crepe.

rick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
You are missing flex welt and waterlock. I don't have the waterlock (double flex welt or oiled soles), but the flex welt is my second most comfortable sole . . . right below crepe.

your right just got a pair of the oiled have not put them to test yet.

Explorer

Reaction score
Greetings. This is my first post - glad to be here. My home is Arizona, but I am presently working in Africa. The weather here is very humid, hot, and it rains five days a week. I currently wear the Alden 404 Brown Kudu (Alden of Carmel AF64). It is the most weatherproof Alden 405/404. The 404 are amazing in this extreme weather and I can wear them all day long without any problems. The leather is heavily oiled and it can sustain a lot of punishment from the weather. The soles are heavy duty Vibram rubber lug. The soles are great and non-slippery. I find the soles very comfortable for field work or office duty. Great boots.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thor;3851819 said:
Happy B-day to me...couldn't resist the call of the Shell... They are so friggin' gorgeous that I almost do not want to wear them...almost
smile.gif
From AofC on the leydon last:
newshoes006800x600.jpg
Gorgeous boot, does this style come in a regular shoe? I need a nice pair of black wingtips to wear with suits?

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been thinking about getting the lugged sole from the 404 put onto my black Tankers that have a fairly worn down commando sole on them now. Would turn them into great winter boots...plus I now have a pair of #8 tankers with commando sole

Anybody know what Alden is charging for a resole these days? How about turnaround time? I know I could call them, but they never answer their phone and I'm often not able to take a call back so it makes it tough.

king*stink

Reaction score
After much diliberation as to what was going to be my first pair of Shell Cordovans, I decided on the Jcrew captoe boot. I received them on Saturday and I couldn't be happier with my decision. I will get some pics up soon once they have some wear to them. The boot is gorgeous. Now I want another. I'm thinking cigar longwing or waiting for Epaulet to do a reorder of their natural cxl longwing.

Thor

Reaction score
newshoes006800x600.jpg
Gorgeous boot, does this style come in a regular shoe? I need a nice pair of black wingtips to wear with suits?
Lots of dealers offer a black wingtip blucher in shell and/or calf- Alden of Carmel, Shoemart etc...perhaps not on the Leydon last...but it is a pretty common shoe...
Originally Posted by slide13
Anybody know what Alden is charging for a resole these days? How about turnaround time? I know I could call them, but they never answer their phone and I'm often not able to take a call back so it makes it tough.
You should try emailing them- I have had pretty good success with that: [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads