• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HorseHide
Alright, I confess that my first thought was this guy doesn't know what he's talking about. But I jumped over to the Shoemart site and sure enough!

Nice boot. I also like the natural chromexcel NST.

I think Shoemart doesn't know what they are talking about...at least about the sole as I'm pretty sure that is oiled leather.

The "Indy" thing is questionable...it does have stitching on the uppers like the Indy but without the moc toe stitching I don't think it should be called an Indy boot myself.

Doesn't really matter though...still think those are some killer boots!

HorseHide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
that plain toe Indy boot looks a lot better than the standard Indy boot imo

(though I really don't get the standard Indy boot at all)

+1

mike f

Reaction score
it looks like an oiled leather sole. It feels like an oiled leather sole and heel. They describe it as neoprene and cork, but I agree in person it still appears and feels like oiled leather. I love the Indy, so was a little hesitant without the moc stitching, but I had a feeling it would look great without it too. I've got an old pair, 20 years old RL plain toe boots, probably EG made that I love, and thought the look would be similar. In the end, it's the same last, same boot without the stitching, but a whole different vibe and feel.

david3558

Reaction score
Got a sweet pair of 405's coming my way this week - super stoked on them
smile.gif
Paid $364 - getting them dropshipped from Alden directly!

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harrythedog
long time reader, first time poster... was home alone last night, girlfriend was out of town saw the chromexcel chukka;s and called hawaii immediately! let;s just say, if the girlfriend were home it would have been a much cheaper evening!!! thanks, leather soul for offering such a beautiful shoe! 2nd purchase from you guys in under a month.

Nice! Thank you!

Originally Posted by johnnyrich7
I asked this question earlier, but didn't get feedback so I thought I would try again.

I currently have a pair of 8.5D Indy boots that fit a bit long in the toe box. I am thinking of going down a half size to an 8, but going with an 8E.

Tom, you have any thoughts on this, or anyone else?

Thanks.

Sounds like it should be good for you.

Originally Posted by Vinneus
Just jumped on these! Merry Christmas to me! ill post pic when they arrive....

Nice, thanks!

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom: In all seriousness, you might want to look at how tight the language is - it's possible there would be a way around it, if you think creatively. Just an anecdote, but I once saw a small shop with a similar provision evade it by having all their orders sent out by a direct pickup courier service. It's kind of a funny story, actually - the landlord's attorney had tried to make that provision bulletproof by specifically naming USPS, FedEx, UPS, DHL, and so on, and apparently he was quite flustered because he forgot to say "including, but not limited to" before the list, and of course had missed the small courier service they used!

Just between you and me, though, the shop LOST money doing the service... they couldn't pass along the full fee to their customers. It was mostly just meant to thumb their nose at the landlords... and at that, it sure worked, balance sheet aside!
laugh.gif

PeterParker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnyrich7
I asked this question earlier, but didn't get feedback so I thought I would try again. I currently have a pair of 8.5D Indy boots that fit a bit long in the toe box. I am thinking of going down a half size to an 8, but going with an 8E. Tom, you have any thoughts on this, or anyone else? Thanks.
I have Trubalance boots in 9.5D and 9E. The 9.5D doesn't feel too long because I have wide feet, and the extra length helps to accommodate the volume of my feet. The 9E fits my foot more naturally with the added width. It sounds like an 8E just might do the trick for you.
Originally Posted by mike f
Here are some poor pics of a new pair of Indy's in natural chrom....
I'm not a fan of those plain toe "Indy's". For some reason the toe looks really bulbous. I know some people find the Trubalance last to be too bulbous, but compared to Wolverines, Red Wings, etc., the Trubalance looks lower profile; these remind me more of the other boots. There's something about these when they're brand new that just looks generic and unremarkable. The leather and shape of the toe are plain, literally. However, after some wear I bet these will look amazing.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike f
Here are some poor pics of a new pair of Indy's in natural chrom....

IMG_0347.jpg

I really love these. First, they don't have the typical boxy looking moc toe, there is no stitching and they actually look more tailored or sleek. Second, the sole and heel treatment is far different. They are still heavy but sleek. The description of the shoe says the sole and heel is neoprene and cork, but it's a lot different than the Indy as can be seen. Actually has the appearance of an oiled leather.

IMG_0349.jpg

I'm really pleased I got these before they were gone and hope Alden does more in this pattern.

Please forgive the poor photo skills.

far far far better than the indys

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
bia1x4.jpg

ravello nst boots

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PeterParker
I have Trubalance boots in 9.5D and 9E. The 9.5D doesn't feel too long because I have wide feet, and the extra length helps to accommodate the volume of my feet. The 9E fits my foot more naturally with the added width.

It sounds like an 8E just might do the trick .

Thanks PP. Question on the fitting though. My foot isn't wide like yours, and is a standard D, so with your experience do you think the E on the 8E might be too wide?

monologuist

Reaction score
2 cents...only thing to be careful with the E width is even if it is better fit in the forefoot, don't forget that the heel will be roomier too. Too big in the heel is perhaps even more problematic than in forefoot.

rick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by geoffmartin17
Yeah i dont understand the indy's etiher. never "got" it. Those ones look decent though!

its funny what people like and don't like. i love my indy's i got the LS ultimate indy from tom. wore them this weekend and got 4 poeple who said wow those are great boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads