***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slide13

slide13 Senior member

Alright, I confess that my first thought was this guy doesn't know what he's talking about. But I jumped over to the Shoemart site and sure enough!

Nice boot. I also like the natural chromexcel NST.

I think Shoemart doesn't know what they are talking about...at least about the sole as I'm pretty sure that is oiled leather.

The "Indy" thing is questionable...it does have stitching on the uppers like the Indy but without the moc toe stitching I don't think it should be called an Indy boot myself.

Doesn't really matter though...still think those are some killer boots!

2. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

that plain toe Indy boot looks a lot better than the standard Indy boot imo

(though I really don't get the standard Indy boot at all)

+1

3. mike f

mike f Member

it looks like an oiled leather sole. It feels like an oiled leather sole and heel. They describe it as neoprene and cork, but I agree in person it still appears and feels like oiled leather. I love the Indy, so was a little hesitant without the moc stitching, but I had a feeling it would look great without it too. I've got an old pair, 20 years old RL plain toe boots, probably EG made that I love, and thought the look would be similar. In the end, it's the same last, same boot without the stitching, but a whole different vibe and feel.

4. david3558

david3558 Senior member

5. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Senior member

long time reader, first time poster... was home alone last night, girlfriend was out of town saw the chromexcel chukka;s and called hawaii immediately! let;s just say, if the girlfriend were home it would have been a much cheaper evening!!! thanks, leather soul for offering such a beautiful shoe! 2nd purchase from you guys in under a month.

Nice! Thank you!

I asked this question earlier, but didn't get feedback so I thought I would try again.

I currently have a pair of 8.5D Indy boots that fit a bit long in the toe box. I am thinking of going down a half size to an 8, but going with an 8E.

Tom, you have any thoughts on this, or anyone else?

Thanks.

Sounds like it should be good for you.

Just jumped on these! Merry Christmas to me! ill post pic when they arrive....

Nice, thanks!

6. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

7. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Tom: In all seriousness, you might want to look at how tight the language is - it's possible there would be a way around it, if you think creatively. Just an anecdote, but I once saw a small shop with a similar provision evade it by having all their orders sent out by a direct pickup courier service. It's kind of a funny story, actually - the landlord's attorney had tried to make that provision bulletproof by specifically naming USPS, FedEx, UPS, DHL, and so on, and apparently he was quite flustered because he forgot to say "including, but not limited to" before the list, and of course had missed the small courier service they used!

Just between you and me, though, the shop LOST money doing the service... they couldn't pass along the full fee to their customers. It was mostly just meant to thumb their nose at the landlords... and at that, it sure worked, balance sheet aside! [​IMG]

8. PeterParker

PeterParker Senior member

I asked this question earlier, but didn't get feedback so I thought I would try again. I currently have a pair of 8.5D Indy boots that fit a bit long in the toe box. I am thinking of going down a half size to an 8, but going with an 8E. Tom, you have any thoughts on this, or anyone else? Thanks.
    I have Trubalance boots in 9.5D and 9E. The 9.5D doesn't feel too long because I have wide feet, and the extra length helps to accommodate the volume of my feet. The 9E fits my foot more naturally with the added width. It sounds like an 8E just might do the trick for you.
    Here are some poor pics of a new pair of Indy's in natural chrom....
    I'm not a fan of those plain toe "Indy's". For some reason the toe looks really bulbous. I know some people find the Trubalance last to be too bulbous, but compared to Wolverines, Red Wings, etc., the Trubalance looks lower profile; these remind me more of the other boots. There's something about these when they're brand new that just looks generic and unremarkable. The leather and shape of the toe are plain, literally. However, after some wear I bet these will look amazing.

9. jet

jet Persian Bro

Here are some poor pics of a new pair of Indy's in natural chrom....

[​IMG]

I really love these. First, they don't have the typical boxy looking moc toe, there is no stitching and they actually look more tailored or sleek. Second, the sole and heel treatment is far different. They are still heavy but sleek. The description of the shoe says the sole and heel is neoprene and cork, but it's a lot different than the Indy as can be seen. Actually has the appearance of an oiled leather.

[​IMG]

I'm really pleased I got these before they were gone and hope Alden does more in this pattern.

Please forgive the poor photo skills.

far far far better than the indys

10. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Senior member

Yeah i dont understand the indy's etiher. never "got" it. Those ones look decent though!

11. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    ravello nst boots

12. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

I have Trubalance boots in 9.5D and 9E. The 9.5D doesn't feel too long because I have wide feet, and the extra length helps to accommodate the volume of my feet. The 9E fits my foot more naturally with the added width.

It sounds like an 8E just might do the trick .

Thanks PP. Question on the fitting though. My foot isn't wide like yours, and is a standard D, so with your experience do you think the E on the 8E might be too wide?

13. monologuist

monologuist Well-Known Member

2 cents...only thing to be careful with the E width is even if it is better fit in the forefoot, don't forget that the heel will be roomier too. Too big in the heel is perhaps even more problematic than in forefoot.

14. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

15. rick

rick Senior member

Yeah i dont understand the indy's etiher. never "got" it. Those ones look decent though!

its funny what people like and don't like. i love my indy's i got the LS ultimate indy from tom. wore them this weekend and got 4 poeple who said wow those are great boots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.