• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got some Monkey Shoulder sent from the UK.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
Just got some Monkey Shoulder sent from the UK.

Nice! Have not tried that one yet. Please post impressions when you open it.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Paid a visit to the work local costco and disappointed as usual. Ridiculous how they all have different stock.
-blue label
-green label
-black label
-laphroig 10
-some ardberg
-some glenlivets
-mac 12 in 750 and 1.75
-kirkland 17

No laga and no mac gift set
frown.gif

They had a nice dom p 2002 gift set with flutes for 119.

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Paid a visit to the work local costco and disappointed as usual. Ridiculous how they all have different stock.
-blue label
-green label
-black label
-laphroig 10
-some ardberg
-some glenlivets
-mac 12 in 750 and 1.75
-kirkland 17

No laga and no mac gift set
frown.gif

jet:

The Laphroaig 10yr at $27 is a pretty good deal. Also, Johnny Green might be worth picking up if it's DIRT cheap (like $35 or less). Any idea which Ardbeg it was? I thought it was already pretty bold of Costco to carry stuff like Lagavulin.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
The laph was 27.99, I think the green label is like 37.99 or 39.99 (wanna say 37.99) not dirt cheap like 35. The ardberg was an entry level one like 10 or so, I'm not an expert. Might just cop some dom p for when the weather gets warm so I can drink it with a lady friend in a hot tub in the hills of hollywood
redface.gif

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my best friends is looking at splurging on a nicer bottle of scotch in celebration of his first child. Unfortunately, we are limited to what the provincial liquor commission carries. I narrowed it down to the following and would appreciate the opinions of those more familiar with this fine spirit. Macallan 18 year old sherry oak = $291.10 Macallan 21 year old fine oak = $351.45 Balvenie 21 year old Portwood = $191.97 Highland Park 25 year old = $255.96 Highland Park 18 year old = $144.62 Laphroaig 18 year old = $165.95 While he does enjoy a fair bit of peat and smoke, he enjoys those spirits with a smooth palate and some fruit/nut flavours as well. My recommendation was the Macallan 18 and he is leaning that way or to the Balvenie. Anyone care to encourage or dissuade him? All options at the following: http://www.liquormartsonline.com/e/i...1&op5.rt1=9999

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning
One of my best friends is looking at splurging on a nicer bottle of scotch in celebration of his first child. Unfortunately, we are limited to what the provincial liquor commission carries. I narrowed it down to the following and would appreciate the opinions of those more familiar with this fine spirit.

Macallan 18 year old sherry oak = $291.10
Macallan 21 year old fine oak = $351.45
Balvenie 21 year old Portwood = $191.97
Highland Park 25 year old = $255.96
Highland Park 18 year old = $144.62
Laphroaig 18 year old = $165.95

While he does enjoy a fair bit of peat and smoke, he enjoys those spirits with a smooth palate and some fruit/nut flavours as well.

My recommendation was the Macallan 18 and he is leaning that way or to the Balvenie. Anyone care to encourage or dissuade him?

I will. The two HPs are vastly superior to the Balvines and the Macallans at the prices you posted. I mean its not even close IMO. Actually, unless that is a typo, the HP 25 is cheaper than most places in US.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP live in Canada
frown.gif
It does suck that liquor over there is so expensive.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, so I picked up the Yamazaki 18 year old, Talisker Distiller's Edition, and, sigh, the Longrow 14 year old. I read some descriptions of it at some of the malt forums, and just had to try it..

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Picked up the laphroiag for 27 bucks and goddam this thing smells and tastes like an 1800s apothecary.

Moo are you sure it was a macallan gift set? I saw a glenlivet gift set of how you decribe for 99 bux perhaps you were mistaken?

No Laga at any of my costcos.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
I will. The two HPs are vastly superior to the Balvines and the Macallans at the prices you posted. I mean its not even close IMO. Actually, unless that is a typo, the HP 25 is cheaper than most places in US.

Thanks Ama. My guy at the liquor commission actually recommended the HP 18 without a moment's thought when i asked him this question.

And Warren, thanks for your sympathy re. prices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads