Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

anyone ever watch Ralfystuf on youtube? Guy is awesome, funny, and gives out a ton of scotch info and reviews.

ahahha yeah...

2. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

Making my first foray in to proper Scotch, decided a 12 year Dalmore seemed like a good entry both price and flavor-wise.

Will report back after a few glasses.

3. happy hooligan

happy hooligan Senior member

I haven't had some scotch in a while.... reading this makes me want to pull out one of my bottles...

4. TwoFours

TwoFours Active Member

ahahha yeah...

yeah dude is pretty good.

5. M. Bardamu

M. Bardamu Senior member

He might be disappointed with Bowmore 12. Good thing he didn't buy it though!

I used to love Bowmore, but can't drink it after vomiting Bowmore Cask Strength through my nose and spending the night in the tub...

6. chas

chas Senior member

I didn't check the whole thread but Springbank is my Scotch of choice. I like most all Cambletown Scotch.

7. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Making my first foray in to proper Scotch, decided a 12 year Dalmore seemed like a good entry both price and flavor-wise.

Will report back after a few glasses.

You may want to stay away from anything too peaty. With your nose it could be really overpowering. [​IMG]

8. jet

jet Persian Bro

lol

9. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

I haven't been out of Incheon in 3 years or more (last time I left the country, I went to Tokyo via Gimpo) so I can't remember what liquors they have... but SFO does have a damn good DFS. I guess you'll have to report back on the Incheon DFS selection because I'm going through there soon.
    I am up and gonna do some work today and fuck around a bit all day, so I will be awake and free later today (Monday) late night, if you want to grab a scotch. Find me on the book of feces.

Sorry we couldn't meet up. I was in town for less than 3 days and had too many people to see.

The Lotte DF liquor stores at Incheon were comparable in price to SFO (ranges from decent to so-so)... Incheon definitely had a better selection though. While browsing, I noticed Laphroaig 25yr in the wooden display box for $267 (which is a STEAL for such an amazing whisky). It wasn't until I was bringing it to the checkout where I noticed it was bottled at 40% ABV. [​IMG]

The Cask Strength version was going for $499, which obviously isn't as good. Went home empty handed. [​IMG]

10. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

OK, trying to decide between a bottle of Yamazaki 18 year old or Longrow 15 year old. They are both about the same price. Trying to get away from excessive peat (I have plenty of Ardbeg, Ardmore, and Laphroiag in the liquor cabinet), and am enjoying fruitier scotches like Glenlivet and Glenfiddich. What'll it be, if either?

11. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

OK, trying to decide between a bottle of Yamazaki 18 year old or Longrow 15 year old. They are both about the same price. Trying to get away from excessive peat (I have plenty of Ardbeg, Ardmore, and Laphroiag in the liquor cabinet), and am enjoying fruitier scotches like Glenlivet and Glenfiddich. What'll it be, if either?

Probably the Yamazaki...

12. ama

ama Senior member

Yamazaki 18. Longrow 14 (I assume you mean 14, that is. I've never heard of Longrow 15.) isn't that great and its peated. Yamazaki 18 is awesome.

If you were talking about Longrow 18 though, get that. Longrow 18 is a real treat.

13. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Probably the Yamazaki...

Yamazaki 18. Longrow 14 (I assume you mean 14, that is. I've never heard of Longrow 15.) isn't that great and its peated. Yamazaki 18 is awesome.

If you were talking about Longrow 18 though, get that. Longrow 18 is a real treat.

Settled. The Yamazaki it is.

Now if I wanted to pick up a random bottle in addition, keeping in mind what I wrote above, what would it be? I think the Longrow was a 14, and not sure I saw the 18.

14. ama

ama Senior member

Settled. The Yamazaki it is.

Now if I wanted to pick up a random bottle in addition, keeping in mind what I wrote above, what would it be? I think the Longrow was a 14, and not sure I saw the 18.

I don't think the Longrow 14 is that good... Longrow CV is better if they have that.

Did you see anything by Glenfarclas?

15. jet

jet Persian Bro

Thinking about ordering a couple glencairn glasses since I'm buying a couple things from amazon and shipping is free. Do I really need these?

They're only 12 bux so it's not the money, more do I need the extra clutter? I hate clutter.