• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend me a pair of hiking boots, budget $400

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshin
Granted I am not going be trekking through mountain passage. But i will be doing a fair amount of walking at times. And I want something comfortable and waterproof...and high quality hiking boots fit the bill.
Actually hiking boots are not a good application for this. Get a real snow boot with a softer sole which will be way more comfortable than a stiffer hiking boot and will have better traction too.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Cool - I would imagine these being more of a hassle than anything for everyday wear but it's your feet. Didn't realize uni campuses could get that rough

in Michigan, we regularly get 3+ inches of snow during the winter. And when its bad, 5-10 is not uncommon.
And when it stops is when walking around gets worse. Snow is plowed/piled up against the sidewalks, you get a lot of slush many inches deep, etc...

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you really want hiking boots just for crossing campus? Have you ever worn real hiking boots when not walking? They are not truly comfortable so much as they are supportive when carrying weight. I do not like sitting around in them. To me I would rather buy something from Trickers or another English manufacturer, because you end up with something a bit less sporty and a bit more versatile.

KPO89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
What trend? I doubt hiking and climbing are going to disappear in the forseeable future. A pair of good hiking boots would be an excellent choice for the OPs intended purpose.

Visvim-for-Moncler-V-Hiking-Boots1.jpg

These aren't your Danner mountain lights. These are Kanye West-ified trends that esquire and GQ uses to pimp out their flannel for the fashionista's in the Garment District. I say go for the real thing. Get Red Wings....get Danner Mountains but don't spend that kinda money on something that is a fancy laced clown shoe.

I'm all for the Danner Mountains and Red Wings so I'm not irritated at you. I'm just irritated with this trend.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get gore-tex lined HUNTING boots, not hiking boots.

Most good hiking boots are designed to only be comfortable when you have 30 lbs on your back

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshin
in Michigan, we regularly get 3+ inches of snow during the winter. And when its bad, 5-10 is not uncommon.
And when it stops is when walking around gets worse. Snow is plowed/piled up against the sidewalks, you get a lot of slush many inches deep, etc...

Full on leather hiking boots for 3 inches of snow is fkn ridiculous.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
Full on leather hiking boots for 3 inches of snow is fkn ridiculous.

actually he's incorrect. Michigan routinely gets 10-20 inches of snow drifts, slush, salt, and temperatures below 20 degrees. I think a waterproof leather boot is completely appropriate. just not actual hiking boots.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by darkbat
...I was just visiting last weekend and brought my 1000 mile boots with me. Paired with a pair of J Crew Camp socks my feet were the warmest and comfiest part of my body. Plus it looks infinitely more stylish than the hiking boots. Look into them if you haven't yet.

How exactly do you walk in Michigan Winter with ice and snow in leather-soled boots?

To the OP, get yourself a pair of those 6-inch Timberland light weight hikers with GoreTex. Practicality outweights being stylish.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bellyhungry
To the OP, get yourself a pair of those 6-inch Timberland light weight hikers with GoreTex. Practicality outweights being stylish.

While I agree with this sentiment...lets be honest. We wouldn't have joined this forum if being stylish wasn't high in our list of priorities when it comes to all things style related.

I actually still have a pair of TImberlands with Goretex what I bought in HS (1994). I still wear them when I'm shoveling snow and doing work in the yard.

bmf895

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KPO89
Visvim-for-Moncler-V-Hiking-Boots1.jpg

These aren't your Danner mountain lights. These are Kanye West-ified trends that esquire and GQ uses to pimp out their flannel for the fashionista's in the Garment District. I say go for the real thing. Get Red Wings....get Danner Mountains but don't spend that kinda money on something that is a fancy laced clown shoe.

I'm all for the Danner Mountains and Red Wings so I'm not irritated at you. I'm just irritated with this trend.

This.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads