• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roy's Jeans - Single Man Made

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
What the **** just happened here?

Amazing that we can't just appreciate a guy who goes nuts over collecting vintage machines and makes jeans really quite well, all by his ******* self. That's a hell of a lot better than I could do, that's for sure. I may or may not buy some, but that's totally beside the point.

whatever123 is thread-******** just for the sake of thread-********. He's also clearly not that well educated, as made evident by his horrendous English.

mikecch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nahneun
whatever123 is thread-******** just for the sake of thread-********. He's also clearly not that well educated, as made evident by his horrendous English.

What? Just because someone's English ain't great doesn't mean they're not well educated - for some, English is not their first language.

More pics:
DSC04080.jpg

DSC03611.jpg

DSC03623.jpg

DSC03620.jpg

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikecch
What? Just because someone's English ain't great doesn't mean they're not well educated - for some, English is not their first language.

Pretty sure english is his first language, though
tongue.gif
English isn't my first language, either.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great job Kiya for signing Roy up. Not only will this ensure the continued consistency, reliability and survival of this brand, Kiya has also managed to offer these jeans at a really really good price.

I don't think people realise how much of a service Selfedge is doing by being a retailer which is fully committed to supporting the artisan jean brands.

Great work.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

there are like, 2 people, maybe 3 people max, in this thread who actually know what they're talking about, and 4 pages of hysterics...
- It seems Roy will not sell direct anymore, he wants to sell through Self Edge. Nothing wrong with that, you guys should be wishing his success and proliferation via an official retailer, instead of demanding discounts that can't be done. Someday, when there is a glut of used product on the aftermarket, guys who want it on the cheap can go looking there, and keep ROY buoyed that way as well, it's healthier for everyone (maker-retailer-consumer) that way.

- when ROY sold his 'practice' jeans (and that isn't hype, I can totally understand what he means by that) direct, the price was lower. Now that kiya distributes them, what do you expect? For kiya to mark them up without any safety net for the inevitable returns, damaged examples, and shipping?

- as for the actual price, break it down feature by feature and compare them with anything else at the price point. There's nothing else with that much work in it. As for materials cost; the smaller guys get shafted on material costs because they don't buy in quantities that big companies do, it could cost small outfits 2 or even 3 times what the big guys pay for the same exact thing. There's a huge graded cost schedule on all this stuff based on quantity, and Roy literally only needs ~1 roll of denim to make SE's job order; even a Japanese niche denim maker buys rolls by the truckloads, and 1 roll is nothing to them, while a roll is $500-1000 or more.
Beyond that, you are paying Roy so that he can pay his taxes, and then pay himself for his work. After all is said and done, he might be paying himself $10/hr for his work, and if it were $20/hr, would you guys begrudge him that? I highly doubt he gets too many pairs finished in a day.

pronxs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
wow... putting on kiya's avatar pic is next level ******* creepy. ****- if I was kiya I'd demand this guy's identity and find a way to get a restraining order.

lol thats mozzie from white collar tv show.
laugh.gif

Rikkar501

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

there are like, 2 people, maybe 3 people max, in this thread who actually know what they're talking about, and 4 pages of hysterics...
- It seems Roy will not sell direct anymore, he wants to sell through Self Edge. Nothing wrong with that, you guys should be wishing his success and proliferation via an official retailer, instead of demanding discounts that can't be done. Someday, when there is a glut of used product on the aftermarket, guys who want it on the cheap can go looking there, and keep ROY buoyed that way as well, it's healthier for everyone (maker-retailer-consumer) that way.

- when ROY sold his 'practice' jeans (and that isn't hype, I can totally understand what he means by that) direct, the price was lower. Now that kiya distributes them, what do you expect? For kiya to mark them up without any safety net for the inevitable returns, damaged examples, and shipping?

- as for the actual price, break it down feature by feature and compare them with anything else at the price point. There's nothing else with that much work in it. As for materials cost; the smaller guys get shafted on material costs because they don't buy in quantities that big companies do, it could cost small outfits 2 or even 3 times what the big guys pay for the same exact thing. There's a huge graded cost schedule on all this stuff based on quantity, and Roy literally only needs ~1 roll of denim to make SE's job order; even a Japanese niche denim maker buys rolls by the truckloads, and 1 roll is nothing to them, while a roll is $500-1000 or more.
Beyond that, you are paying Roy so that he can pay his taxes, and then pay himself for his work. After all is said and done, he might be paying himself $10/hr for his work, and if it were $20/hr, would you guys begrudge him that? I highly doubt he gets too many pairs finished in a day.

All you **** talkers, read this and learn some ******* business 101. In all reality, Roy is probably transitioning from from a full time metal fabricator to full time clothing design, production and brand building. In order to do that you have to have healthy margins. I think he says in the video on his site that the actual stitching and assembly takes around 2-3 hours per pair. Doesn't take much intelligence to figure out how many pairs he can turn out in a day, not to mention the work that goes into his brand strengthening and strategic planning. Go and try to do the same thing with his attention to detail and then come back and say his prices are too high. /done

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rikkar501
All you **** talkers, read this and learn some ******* business 101. In all reality, Roy is probably transitioning from from a full time metal fabricator to full time clothing design, production and brand building. In order to do that you have to have healthy margins. I think he says in the video on his site that the actual stitching and assembly takes around 2-3 hours per pair. Doesn't take much intelligence to figure out how many pairs he can turn out in a day, not to mention the work that goes into his brand strengthening and strategic planning. Go and try to do the same thing with his attention to detail and then come back and say his prices are too high. /done
I guess some people can't comprehend the idea of profiting from the time and resource one invests on a business. wonder how they feel about drinking soda that costs maybe 10 cents per can.

Nopike343

Reaction score
If you don't believe this is a fair price for the jeans...... don't buy the jeans.

Good luck Roy and Kiya.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Price seems fair enough. Still can't convinced they'll change everything I know about jeans, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads