• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me understand super high prices clothes... like Tom Ford

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Tom Ford changed the face of Gucci and will be remembered as an icon in womens fashion forever. So his mens collection will get note, however not on the level of what he did for chicks.

He made the Gucci "G" in that chicks pubes in the ad campaign - '04 I think? That deserves a spot in fashion history.

*LOVE* that ad

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
My Google ninja skillz fail. Link?

Yeah, this might make you feel a bit silly then... Type "gucci ad" into Google image search. It is the first image.

I would post the image here because I want everyone to see it, but I don't want to derail this lovely thread.

negusnegas

Reaction score
Mario Testino shot that ad. Him and TF do know how to do sexy.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
Yeah, this might make you feel a bit silly then... Type "gucci ad" into Google image search. It is the first image.

I would post the image here because I want everyone to see it, but I don't want to derail this lovely thread.

Oh. I saw that thumbnail but dismissed it because it looked different from what I remembered.
laugh.gif
I didn't know TF was responsible for that brilliant advertising. Heh, thanks!

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So let me get this straight.

He is a brilliant marketer, brought Gucci and YSL back from the dead, makes killer suits, but he sucks because the OP didn't like an expensive polo?

Tough crowd.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd

He is a brilliant marketer, brought Gucci and YSL back from the dead, makes killer suits, but he sucks because the OP didn't like an expensive polo?

Tough crowd.

+1

Made in California

Reaction score
OK how about this for a grueling question: Tom Ford polo, solid, 100% cotton, $1500 OR Hermes T-shirt, 2-tone, 100% cotton, $750 [can be seen on the Hermes website]

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't believe this thread is still going on.

Some people have so much money that price is virtually irrelevant to them. For them, it's not about getting a good deal or good price/performance ratio, all they care about is performance, i.e. whether they like the garment.
It is an extremely price-indifferent market segment.
One could also call some of these designer wares Veblen goods, meaning their attractiveness rises as their price rises. If the same TF polo was sold for 56.95, they would not be as interested in it.

If you still think that TF stuff is overpriced, you are obviously not in the market segment that TF targets. But if you like the garment, wait until it shows up at c21 with slashed labels, in which case it has moved down to your segment.

Ivar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd

Tough crowd.

I can only speak for myself, but my chief problem with Tom Ford is the adulation he gets for suits that, in my opinion, look no better than cheapo Men's Warehouse rags. To strengthen my case, let me please adduce a few specimens:

tom_ford_lever_la_dolce_vita.jpg

Johnny-Depp2.jpg

a43ecb58fe004e0c_brad_pitt_in_tom_ford.png

victoria-david-beckham-fragrance.jpg

lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivar
I can only speak for myself, but my chief problem with Tom Ford is the adulation he gets for suits that, in my opinion, look no better than cheapo Men's Warehouse rags. To strengthen my case, let me please adduce a few specimens:

Just out of curiosity, have you ever been to Men's Wearhouse or seen one of their "rags" in person?

The Swede

Reaction score
Yeah I look at those suits and immediately think Matisse.

But then again, the amazing aesthetic is probably far beyond my humble comprehension, it is just not for me to judge a sartorial god such as Tom Ford.

His name is Tom Ford, king of kings:
Look on his works, ye Mighty, and despair!

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Swede
Yeah I look at those suits and immediately think Matisse.

But then again, the amazing aesthetic is probably far beyond my humble comprehension, it is just not for me to judge a sartorial god such as Tom Ford.

His name is Tom Ford, king of kings:
Look on his works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Now see, you're just being snotty.

Do you consider fashion to be a branch of the fine arts? How about design? Architecture? What would constitute "art" to you?

My Matisse example was this: You're not paying for the paints and canvas. A $5,000 Tom Ford suit certainly does not contain $5,000 worth of materials. You're paying for the design. I never said "OMG TOM FORD IS THE NEW MATISSE".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads