• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Baltimore Orioles Thread of Hope and Change (Yes We Can!)

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan9
Marcum/Morrow?

I like Marcum more than I like Morrow. If one of these guys makes it, it will probably be him. I think Morrow has been given more of an opportunity because of his high draft position than anything else. If I were them I'd start unloading guys now. I.E. Wells and Hill

Originally Posted by edinatlanta
The Jays are a 500 team in the toughest division in baseball. That isn't bad. The Red Sox have one of the best records in baseball, they will re-tool over the break as much as they can and you really think the Yankees have a chance of really dropping off? The Rays could because they don't have the resources to keep anyone.

The Rays are still very young. With Pena, Longoria, Garza & Price I can see them being able to throw in guys who could be stop gap measures for later on (2b and C).

Boston is missing a lot of guys, They've had a lot of injuries but I'm looking at the roster and I'm just not sold on it. They would need a lot of things to go right to be a continder next year.

1. They've got too many top tier catchers. Funny to say that, but they need to let Tek go, keep Martinez and deal Salty. (Assuming that his throwing problem is under control)

2. They have to hope Pedrioa comes back from foot surgury and plays to the same level he has been. A 2B with bad feet doesn't sound good (but the O's 2b has a bad hip/back so we may be in the same position)

3. Their outfield is oooollllldddddd.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you would have told me at the beginning of the season that we would win 60 games I would have been pissed. However, if you told me at the All Star Break we would win 60 games on the season I would have been elated.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
If you would have told me at the beginning of the season that we would win 60 games I would have been pissed. However, if you told me at the All Star Break we would win 60 games on the season I would have been elated.

+1,0000. What a long strange trip its been.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I watched the O'Malley/Ehrlich debate on television and when asked what would each do to make the O's better:

Ehrlich - A power hitting 1st baseman and getting another veteran starting pitcher.

O'Malley - Practice, Practice, Practice.

Boy what a let down, from the former Mayor of Baltimore no less.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I watched the O'Malley/Ehrlich debate on television and when asked what would each do to make the O's better:

Ehrlich - A power hitting 1st baseman and getting another veteran starting pitcher.

O'Malley - Practice, Practice, Practice.

Boy what a let down, from the former Mayor of Baltimore no less.

I dunno, I'd say O'Malley's plan sounds better than Ehrlich's. What's the point of getting another veteran starter when we're running a 6 man rotation? And the O's already have Jake Fox/Wiggs/Luke Scott at first...who are they going to get that's that much better?

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhateverYouLike
I dunno, I'd say O'Malley's plan sounds better than Ehrlich's. What's the point of getting another veteran starter when we're running a 6 man rotation? And the O's already have Jake Fox/Wiggs/Luke Scott at first...who are they going to get that's that much better?

Luke Scott isn't that great of a fielder. He really should just DH, Wiggy was great when the team sucked then he sucked when the team got better (besides if he's going to stay I'd rather see him at 3rd) I don't know what to make of Fox. I worry about rejects from other teams. For every Carlos Pena there are 50 Jay Gibbons out there.

Millwood isn't staying and honestly I'd would take a chance on a Rich Harden or Ben Sheet.

Also, nobody practices in the Majors, you're either good or you suck. Most are good, but the suck as a collective unit.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's hear opinions on the off season moves.

Mark Reynolds at 3rd - Clearly Josh Bell wasn't ready

JJ Hardy at Shortstop - Clearly Izturus had no bat.

Resigning Koji - Good move, just keep him closing.

Losing Wiggy - That's ok

CSCoHammers7

Reaction score
What a futile bump
facepalm.gif
all hope is lost for Baltimore sports

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Screw that crap, I'm ready for opening day. Soon we'll sign Vlad and we're goign to be in 3rd, possibly second place.

soxpats

Reaction score
Baltimore Baseball is in a sad state of affairs. When I watch Red Sox play at Camden Yards it seems like there are more Sox fans then O's fans.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by soxpats
Baltimore Baseball is in a sad state of affairs. When I watch Red Sox play at Camden Yards it seems like there are more Sox fans then O's fans.

There usually is, there is also an increase in the crime rate in the city when Red Sox fans come down. They wander around Baltimore like they own the place in Red Sox shirts and get mugged.

guster

Reaction score
That was good!

If the O's were in another division or the Nl, things might be very different. Seems like the Sox are the favorite but how can you discount the Yankees? They now have 2 last year's best closers for the 8th & 9th innings. rest of the bullpen got stronger. That lineup is still killer and if they get Petite back mid-season, they will be a force in the playoffs. Plus the Rays are still loaded in minors and still have a good staff. They need bullpen help and they should be OK.

Sure Red Sox had injuries last year but they also lost their 2 best hitters over the course of the '09 season. They should have kept Martinez but then maybe they would not have had the money for the other 2. Veritek was awful hitter when he was full time and Saltimacchia has been bad at major league level. Drew had his worst season and now a year older. Lester and Bucholtz were great last year but rest of the staff was avaerage at best. Which Ortiz will show up? Does Paplebon continue his downward slide

I am not a Yankees fan but they were a better club than Red Sox last year and it looks like they only added. Galarraga is excellent but Beltre had a monster year last year. They upgrade this year by getting injured guys back. It is silly at this point to think that Red Sox are clear favorites. And come July - who do the Yankees pick up. They have excellent pitching talent in the minors and money to spend.
Again, I don't like the Yankees at all but I think you can make an arguement that they should be the favorites over the RedSox.

It is tough to see the the Orioles competing at that level this year.

There usually is, there is also an increase in the crime rate in the city when Red Sox fans come down. They wander around Baltimore like they own the place in Red Sox shirts and get mugged.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just read that Ernie Tyner passed away. Sad day for Baltimore.
frown.gif

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it looks like its time to dust this thread off since its almost that time of year again. The O's just got rid of Hendrickson and Riske and sent Reimold down to the minors because he has options and Pie (who sucks) doesn't. I've been paying attention to spring training and already have some questions.

1. Who will start in the 5th spot? I think it should be Zach Britton. Tillman, who should be, just isn't ready yet.

2. Baseball Prospectus rated Matt Weiters as the biggest flop in Baseball history. Really? After they hype surrounding Delmon Young and Rickey Weeks? This should be the season he puts most if not all of it together.

3. Derek Lee. Should we count on him for 80 games? I don't think so. The sad part is I don't even think it'll make that much of a difference.

4. When are we all getting down to Camden boys? I have a feeling one of those Tuesday afternoon Businessman's specials may be up our alley.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always be an Orioles fan at heart. Haven't been to a game since I was in college since I live so far from Baltimore now. Can't really bring myself to be a Nats fan. My home teams will always be the O's, the Redskins, and the Caps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads