1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Baltimore Orioles Thread of Hope and Change (Yes We Can!)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Douglas, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

2. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

I was always under the impression that a manager generally affects between 7 and 10 games a year. I can't imagine what was going on with Trembly and Samuel that would make this team under perform that much. That has to be a bit embarrassing.

3. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Man, and I thought I was an optometrist.

4. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Man, and I thought I was an optometrist.

Dunno, judging from the tone of your posts, I think of you more as a pestilence.

5. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

way to reverse jinx your team by starting this thread.

did you not notice the O's upturn coincided with the creation of your 'futility' thread?

6. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Dunno, judging from the tone of your posts, I think of you more as a pestilence.

Hey, I represent that remark.

(...)

true story. Mrs. T was interviewing a job seeker who said that her additional vocabulary exercises were a real detriment to her candidacy. Mrs. T agreed with her.

8. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I appreciate the OP's attempt at humor.

10. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Nice to see the title edited. I'll be out there tonight! I'm really starting to worry about Matusz's smarts, though. His worst pitch is his fastball, shakes off Wieters with the bases loaded on Saturday so he can throw a 90 mph fastball for a grand slam. His change-up would have tied the guy up in knots.

11. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Nice to see the title edited. I'll be out there tonight! I'm really starting to worry about Matusz's smarts, though. His worst pitch is his fastball, shakes off Wieters with the bases loaded on Saturday so he can throw a 90 mph fastball for a grand slam. His change-up would have tied the guy up in knots.

He shouldn't do this. This is a major problem with young pitchers, they should shake at most twice a game.

12. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Alfredo Simon is officially fired.

13. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

2 out walk-off bunt. Yeeeaaah! (agreed about Simon).

14. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

i love how buck pronounces simon as SIGH-men instead of see-MOAN.

either way, i generally sigh when he's brought into the game, and I'm moaning in agony soon after.

But whatevs. The Orioles are in the WIN column!

15. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Gabino has got to Gabingo. This bullpen is quite bad, also I still don't like Jason Berken. But Koji as the closer seems to be a good idea.

16. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

What a great series for Baltimore. LA scored 1 run all series and it came on a balk. Good stuff, 2 years, playoffs.

17. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Farkin' A, man. Buck Showalter is like the Oriole Whisperer or something. I laugh every time I see we've won another game. How bout that squeezer by the Angels the other night, 1-0? You kidding me? This is unbelievable.

18. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

I've got some late season, early next season questions O's fans:

1. Who will be in RF next year?

IMO - Pie is trying hard to play himself out of a job. He's swinging at just about anything and he's looked better fielding.

2. Will Josh Bell be a starter next year?

IMO - No, he seems to be in the same mold as Young and Pickering. Fat with a lot of power but no plate discipline. He'd have to raise his average about 60 points and hit about 30-35HR for me to even consider it.

3. Is Tatum better than Weiters?

IMO - I think so. Will it always be that way. It might be.

4. Who should we target for 1B and SS next year?

IMO - I don't know. I honestly think we could get someone off the scrap heap like an Adam Kennedy or a David Eckstein for SS, but we really need to invest in 1B. Wiggington just ins't a long term solution there.

19. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

As much as I love Buck as a manager, as long as Angelos is heading this luxury liner it'll always be headed straight for the iceberg.

Such a shame too.

20. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

I've got some late season, early next season questions O's fans:

1. Who will be in RF next year?

IMO - Pie is trying hard to play himself out of a job. He's swinging at just about anything and he's looked better fielding.

2. Will Josh Bell be a starter next year?

IMO - No, he seems to be in the same mold as Young and Pickering. Fat with a lot of power but no plate discipline. He'd have to raise his average about 60 points and hit about 30-35HR for me to even consider it.

3. Is Tatum better than Weiters?

IMO - I think so. Will it always be that way. It might be.

4. Who should we target for 1B and SS next year?

IMO - I don't know. I honestly think we could get someone off the scrap heap like an Adam Kennedy or a David Eckstein for SS, but we really need to invest in 1B. Wiggington just ins't a long term solution there.

I'm pretty sure Markakis will be in RF. [​IMG] Assuming you meant left, Pie has great skill but plays like an idiot. If he gets more selective at the plate and cuts down on the mental errors on the basepaths and in the field, he'll get the nod in left. He's a great natural CF, though, one of the elite few who can see a ball hit at him, turn his back and take off, run to the spot, turn back around and catch it.
    Josh Bell is hitting enough and fielding well enough that he'll get his shot at 3d.
    I like Tatum, but Wieters is already 3x the player and gets better everyday, better throwing arm, more power, calls a great game, and blocks the plate as well as anyone. Trembley over-played him early in the year which wore him down and held back his progress. Look at the way he's been hitting lately with more rest.
    I'd like to see the Os get someone with Adam Dunn's power numbers at first, but we need someone who is a better fielder.
    Who would have thought we'd put up 6 on Sabathia?
    Gentlemen, Angelos or no, baseball is back in Baltimore. MacPhail is now MacWin!!!