• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Popped a 2006 Siduri Gary's Vineyard PN (Monterrey) the other night. It was very interesting. I'm not really a big Oregon PN fan (at least the ones I've tried). That said, the Siduri GV reminded me of an Oregon PN (funky, dark fruit, etc.), but I actually really liked it. The funk didn't overpower and comes across more as a nice spice to the fruit. Anyway...pretty good.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Manton, I swear James Laube wrote No Time for Nostalgia with you in mind!
wink.gif

Mark, I love Garys' Vineyard wines. Siduri is not my favorite maker though.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
That disappointing red Burg turned out to be very good. I only had half Sunday night and had the other half last night. It really deepened nicely. Got richer and more concentrated. Maybe it was too young and needed the air?

But it wasn't tanic and young tasting at first, it was actually watery so
confused.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
2006 Marimar Estate (Marimar Torres) Chardonnay Unfiltered Estate Grown Don Miguel Vineyard.

First sniff? Yuck. An oily fish, like kippers or sardines. Gave it a quick taste and nice. Swirled the hell out of it. Suddenly, honey, creamy vanilla. Taste of light oak, toast, vanilla and pineapple. Recommend it.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
First sniff? Yuck. An oily fish, like kippers or sardines. Gave it a quick taste and nice. Swirled the hell out of it. Suddenly, honey, creamy vanilla. Taste of light oak, toast, vanilla and pineapple. Recommend it.

I've never come across a white with an oily fish nose - from the cork maybe or some form of bottle sickness/sulphur?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
prelim today!!! i think i'm ready, but prolly going to squeeze in a few more hours

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tattersall
I've never come across a white with an oily fish nose - from the cork maybe or some form of bottle sickness/sulphur?

I seem to remember the last bottle of this I had was like that. It was my last of three, part of my huge haul from visiting the area lost Xmas season. I need to go back.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
prelim today!!! i think i'm ready, but prolly going to squeeze in a few more hours

best of luck, let us know how it went.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
home early, so this is tonight's "casual Thursday" selection:
2737698460043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
^ Bubbles? On a Thursday?

05 ME Klopp Ranch for us.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure i got at least 70.

i forgot which one was david lett and which one was allen shoup. and i didnt realize shiraz was so big in washington.

finished in 30 minutes. it was kind of fun whizzing through all the questions

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

i forgot which one was david lett and which one was allen shoup. and i didnt realize shiraz was so big in washington.

Congrats! Was this an intro somm course or part of another program?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Congrats! Was this an intro somm course or part of another program?

it's a wine course at my school. i think it's one of the only ones in the county that allows tasting and gives academic credits.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
^ Bubbles? On a Thursday?
bubbles for me are always fitting

it is a fast exam, I'll give you that. 70 is all you need, it's pass/fail only. Shiraz isn't necessarily big in Washington (I would have guessed riesling myself), but what can make his tests difficult is the focus on tiny parts of tiny areas for abnormally large parts of the exam. As demonstrated with shiraz in Washington.

it's a wine course at my school. i think it's one of the only ones in the county that allows tasting and gives academic credits.
cheers.gif
(same course I took in college)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Got a six pack delivered tonight. Excuse the blurry pics. Also, what we had for dinner.

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1120.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads