The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

bubbles for me are always fitting

it is a fast exam, I'll give you that. 70 is all you need, it's pass/fail only. Shiraz isn't necessarily big in Washington (I would have guessed riesling myself), but what can make his tests difficult is the focus on tiny parts of tiny areas for abnormally large parts of the exam. As demonstrated with shiraz in Washington.

[​IMG] (same course I took in college)

i reread the text on washington and the authors think washington shiraz is the best in the states.

anyways. some day i will save up money for klopp ranch and silex. really really want to try didier dagueneau's didier dagueneau

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i reread the text on washington and the authors think washington shiraz is the best in the states.

anyways. some day i will save up money for klopp ranch and silex. really really want to try didier dagueneau's didier dagueneau

on shiraz, I haven't personally had much from Washington. I've had half a dozen or so from California, but didn't care for any of them.

Do save up for some Didier, it has been discussed many times on this thread, and it's always something special. I can't recommend it enough. Did they show that video with Jancis at Didier's property?

3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

yeah. i've been trying to download her wine course dvd, but no luck. might have to buy it. -_-;

he seemed very odd. the class laughed when he was in his canoe with his huge beard. but he seems very very passionate about making wine going so far as to looking down on his competitors, saying regulations weren't tough enough and that he viewed wine as art.

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

^ Bubbles? On a Thursday?

05 ME Klopp Ranch for us.

Bubbles every goddamned chance you get. [​IMG]

5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

yeah. i've been trying to download her wine course dvd, but no luck. might have to buy it. -_-;

he seemed very odd. the class laughed when he was in his canoe with his huge beard. but he seems very very passionate about making wine going so far as to looking down on his competitors, saying regulations weren't tough enough and that he viewed wine as art.

Here is a post where Manton and I shared a bottle. Want moar.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

To Left Coast Syrah: I like northern Sonoma the best. Try Peay or for an RRV try DuMol. IMO, the problem with US Syrah is that it's a grape that really needs bottle age. The trend is to drink Left Coast stuff young and (Manton forgive me) this can often be done successfully with the makers trending towards drink young reds. Pinot would be the exemplar of this. Makers try to produce a young drinking Syrah and surrender the essential nature of the grape.

7. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Try Peay or for an RRV try DuMol.

the problem is, for the same price I'm going to pick up Barbaresco or a Village Burg or a 1er from Pommard or Nuits-St.-George. Or a Champs [​IMG]

8. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

80% of the reds I drink are Bordeaux under $20 and I still like them the best.

9. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Poast some!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

To Left Coast Syrah: I like northern Sonoma the best. Try Peay or for an RRV try DuMol. IMO, the problem with US Syrah is that it's a grape that really needs bottle age. The trend is to drink Left Coast stuff young and (Manton forgive me) this can often be done successfully with the makers trending towards drink young reds. Pinot would be the exemplar of this. Makers try to produce a young drinking Syrah and surrender the essential nature of the grape.

I love me some Shafer Relentless (Syrah & Petit Syrah from Napa). Sadly, it's just gotten too expensive and I can't really drink it much anymore. I think I still have 3 bottles of the 2005 which I am hoarding for a special occasion. Also I did buy a six pack of the 2007 from their release last month.

80% of the reds I drink are Bordeaux under $20 and I still like them the best.

Poast some!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1

11. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

somebody at work brought in some growlers of beer (2L each I believe), so we killed them - but now I want some Champs. If I get out at a good hour, I'll be getting me some.

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

what are some good sub $20 bordeaux? i've had fronsac and pontensac. they were pretty good, but not sub $20

i talked to some people after the prelim and a lot of them are considering quitting. apparently it was pretty hard. -_- i hope i get at least 70.

13. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

what are some good sub $20 bordeaux? i've had fronsac and pontensac. they were pretty good, but not sub $20

i talked to some people after the prelim and a lot of them are considering quitting. apparently it was pretty hard. -_- i hope i get at least 70.

Did it get harder than before? It wasn't that hard from what I recall.

14. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Any chateau with a widely known name and an aging track record is not going to be sub $20 any more. The days when every unclass growth was dirt cheap are long gone.

<$20 Bords are, unlike the classified growths, generally not nationally available. The exceptions would be Greysac and Larose-Trintaudon.

Most of the others are bought in lots by regional importers. It's hard to keep track. But we are not talking about expensive wine so what I do is buy samples, make notes of the ones I like, and then return to buy up the rest. It works well.

Availabilty changes radically from vintage to vintage.

15. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Did it get harder than before? It wasn't that hard from what I recall.

it isn't hard, people are just [​IMG]

Northside has a good sub-$20 Bordeaux selection. I couldn't gives names, just pick up a bottle or two and give it a shot.