The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

Time to break into Tattersall's cellar!

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

So I popped an 09 Claypool PN. Very young, but drinking nicely. It's made in the plush, drink young style you often find in CA. Not a fruit bomb but not an ager either. Good stuff but I drink it for the sentimental value ( [​IMG] ) and the novelty (Les Claypool and very small batch).

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

^Glad you like the 09 stuff.

ok, stuck the wine thread...
    Gentlemen, we have reached Nirvana.

4. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

quality pinning. I couldn't find the damn thread at first.

tonight I'm getting my Burg on
    [​IMG]

5. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I really hated the last Nicolas Potel I had.

Good luck.

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I really hated the last Nicolas Potel I had.

Good luck.

I've been in and out of luck with Potel. I've had some that were worthless, and some that I quite liked (his Chambolle-Musigny from a few years ago comes to mind as an example that I really enjoyed).

7. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

It's funny, I have been on a real winning streak with the white Burgs, paying as little as $11 and no more than $40, averaging around $20, and I can't remember the last bad bottle.

But the fucking reds are as erratic as ever. [​IMG]

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

update: it is quite nice. Racy acidity (more than usual) yet still solidly balanced. Unmistakably Burg on the nose. Would be great with a big beef stew. For $30, I'm happy. Teh gf and I are thinking about a trip to Burg sometime.

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Wine Prelim coming up and wow. that's a lot of questions. i think i know most of the answers except for the percentages, the names of people (i could proibabyly recognize but not come up with on the spot), and the german terms.

i thought the class would be a breeze but i see where they get their reputation for being the most failed class.

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

What do we think of this one?

[​IMG]

It was sourced in a very interesting way.

nice. how was it sourced?

11. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Time to break into Tattersall's cellar!

Oy! [​IMG]

Last night was two bottles of 2006 Ridge Lytton Springs Zinfandel at a local restaurant. It was alright, nothing special, pleased my dining companions but did not go at all with the food.

Tonight cracked open a 2004 Ch Greysac which was fine with some grilled lamb. Wife didn't like it, so I finished the bottle.

Hurray for the pinned thread!

12. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Wine Prelim coming up and wow. that's a lot of questions. i think i know most of the answers except for the percentages, the names of people (i could proibabyly recognize but not come up with on the spot), and the german terms.

i thought the class would be a breeze but i see where they get their reputation for being the most failed class.

it's not bad at all, I got near perfect scores on both exams. The text is perhaps the best source, and understand the wine labels. The names of people was never a big part, but varietal and regional information was. You don't need perfect, you only need 70% which is usually more than manageable.

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

And you guys wonder why I shy from red Burgs and am happy with my Left Coast stuff?

14. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Interestingly, the last three CA Pinots I've drunk had a lovely, gentle Burg funk about them, but they got the balance right. 1 or 2 Burgs were good out of 10 last year. Not good enough ratio at their cost! ...and nice to see we're pinned. [​IMG]

15. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

it's the Cali style that I do not care for. The last Loring I had tasted of Twizzlers (according to my notes), except Twizzlers are not $50 (for full disclosure I did enjoy the wine's approachability, balance, and surprising complexity). I know not all are like this, but IMO $50-60 will have me lean to Burg every single time while being fully aware of finding a dud. A little bit of info make opening a dud only a small possibility as I have a lot of trust in the people who source Burgs at my store, and this can make all the difference. Because when a Burg is good, it is the absolute best.