The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

There's the thing. Your store. Those of us in the hinterlands do not have such a resource and it makes everything that much harder. However, UPS and the like, make left coast stuff easy to obtain. If I lived in NYC or SF I am sure I would drink more Burg.

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

it doesn't have to be that much harder though. Places like KL and WL have great online resources (you can even watch Gary V as he tastes some and then seek them out locally or have them shipped), plus the newspapers often have articles or profiles (the LA times had one on female Burg producers not long ago). A good somm, also, will have you covered.

3. Piobaire

Yeah, but I'd prefer a taste first. I get the email for Zachy's. Give me tastings like that and I'd buy. I'm sure I'll buy more Burgs over time but it's a slow process given the $ per bottle. The best headway I've made on Frenchies so far are picks from Kermit Lynch. I will probably get a few mixed cases put together in the new year from them.

4. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

Hurray for the pinned thread!

I celebrated with a 2007 Syncline Syrah, another Columbia Valley, Washington State wine. Crystal clean, low key. Just lovely.

Partly this was drank while watching Apocalypse Now with my 13 year old son. I had some explaining to do. Not as much as when we watched 2001, which resolutely refuses to explain what is going on, but Apocalypse Now doesn't do a lot of exposition despite having a voice over.

5. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The Aussie Pinot was a lovely surprise. Quite spicy. $20
    The Belle Glos Meiomi was fruit forward, but what great fruit. Really funky after a nice decant. Like it better than the $50 Belle. $26
    The Yarra Valley Shiraz was under control with lots of flavour and not too much of the heat that bothers me about cheaper Oz Shiraz'. $26

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I enjoy drinking while cooking, so this is the wine of choice. Very nice and great value sparkler (I'm making lentil and sweet potato soup from Ad Hoc)

[​IMG]

7. Piobaire

Okay, so sticking with my < $20 a bottle, drink now wine allowed between now and Jan 1.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, some Frenchies, a couple of Hanna (RRV) and one Spanish. Total bill was $90.

Drank this while fixing dinner. First Torrentes I was not impressed with. No nose. That's all I have to say, as IMO, Torrentes is all about the floral notes on the nose.

[​IMG]

And for dinner:

[​IMG]

8. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

BTW, gome is right, buy any Italian white at virtually any price and it will be good.

I opened a spoiled bottle of white Bord tonight. Really bad. Poured it out. Rare but it does happen.

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

BTW, gome is right, buy any Italian white at virtually any price and it will be good.

for the most part, I find this to be true. There are some exceptions (the giant producers for the most part).

And I don't forget for a minute about tasting that Corino Barolo. That was awesome. At $65 it's my current [​IMG] for not picking up any, but I do lack room in my "cellar". The Sassicaia is taking up some room [​IMG]

Nice haul, Pio. I like the general diversity of regions.

10. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

PINNIED!!!! Sweet!!!

Old pic but had another bottle of my fav Malbec last night at my mom's with homemage empanadas! I never tire of the juice!!!

[​IMG]

The bottle pictured is the 06 but had the 07 last night and out of all the vintages that I've had of this one (04-07) this one is by far the most refined and complex of them all with great fruits to structure balance!

11. Piobaire

For gomey: 2004 Luigi Righetti Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Capitel De' Roari. Very nice.

12. whallyden

whallyden Senior member

13. whallyden

whallyden Senior member

I'm making lentil and sweet potato soup from Ad Hoc]

Thanks for the inspiration -- we made it tonight with baby sweet potatoes from the CSA box and some French de Puy lentils gathering dust in the pantry. It was wonderful, although the aftermath from lentils is never pleasant [​IMG]

On topic, paired with a very drinkable '09 Bogle Chard. IMO, excellent QPR @ ~$9.

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

For gomey: 2004 Luigi Righetti Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Capitel De' Roari. Very nice.

Nice, happy to share the Eye-tie love.

Thanks for the inspiration -- we made it tonight with baby sweet potatoes from the CSA box and some French de Puy lentils gathering dust in the pantry. It was wonderful, although the aftermath from lentils is never pleasant [​IMG]

also nice. It made for great leftovers at lunch. Tonight will be roast chicken over root vegetables (also from Ad Hoc and one of my favorites)

15. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

That's a great value Amarone.