• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

~Definitive Vinyl Thread~

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Impressive if true. What are your top titles?

I don't know how to answer this question, but I was listening to the first stereo pressing, with the Van Gelder stamps, of Impulse A-77 earlier this evening. I also have the original mono, but I don't like it as much because it is a takedown. No one has ever played the discs except me.

I got most of my jazz and classical records between the mid 1980s through the early 1990s.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
^ I have mint condition 1st pressing of XTC's skylarking that I found in someone's garbage can.

I have that, although mine came from what we used to call a record store.

- B

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
vinyl rules even though my CD (and now MP3) collection far outweighs my LP collection. i have a bunch of indie rock 7", LPs and a few jazz albums. coolest item in my collection is probably John Coltrane's The Heavyweight Champion which repackages Coltrane's Atlantic output in their original album pressings. i love 180g vinyl. so much heft. and if it's still available, prolly gonna pick up MBV's "Loveless" vinyl reissue.

-Jeff

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I have that, although mine came from what we used to call a record store.

- B

Ehh I've been to a few record stores in Baltimore where I would much rather take the trash can.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I have a collection of about 3000 LPs, and a quite few 45s and acoustic 78s. It's about a third classical, a third jazz, and a third blues/rock/R&B/pop.

Most of it is oriented to first pressings.

- B

decoratively bound in leather with an ex libris stamp, no doubt?

photoguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I have some scarce post-punk records, but nothing truly outrageous. Also have a mint limited edition LP in white vinyl of the Manson Family songs by Charles Manson.

A friend of mine put a 7 inch single by KUKL--Bjork's early band--on ebay and it went for $850 to some Bjork collector in Iceland.

You have to be KIDDING me! I used to have both LPs and the 7" records - sold them for probably about $5 each in the late 80s or early 90s.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I don't know how to answer this question, but I was listening to the first stereo pressing, with the Van Gelder stamps, of Impulse A-77 earlier this evening. I also have the original mono, but I don't like it as much because it is a takedown. No one has ever played the discs except me.

I got most of my jazz and classical records between the mid 1980s through the early 1990s.

- B

That was a really good time to acquire vinyl. Too many of us jumped on the CD bandwagon even though we heard the early sound problems.

erzu

Reaction score
my most treasured vinyl would prolly be my six-eye kind of blue and my mono clap hands here comes charlie. also got some random ones: marlene dirtrich, folsom prison blues, hartman/coltrane, etc...

hearing "flamenco sketches" or "blue in green" on a garrard 301 turntable powered by low wattage triode tubes into old but proper horn speakers for the first time is rather mind-blowing.

blofeld

Reaction score
I have virtually every significant drum and bass release from 1997-2001 (college). I have a budding dub/reggae collection consisting of many original pressings and 45s with the crown jewel (to me) being an original pressing of Dr. Alimantado's "Best Dressed Chicken in Town."

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of 1st pressing Captain Beefheart, Grateful Dead, Rolling Stones and stuff like that as well as some old Dave Brubeck albums and 45s from the 1950s and early 1960s but my most prized is my collection of Flaming Lips stuff (which gets a lot of play still on my turntable) and my 1st edition of Dennis Wilson's solo album Pacific Ocean Blue on Caribou records.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Speaking of Dave Brubeck. I found a "Six-Eye" Time Further Out here in Denver for $9 yesterday. I'm out here for business and the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. Some great stores here. I also found a Van Morrison His Band and Street Choir Warner Green Lable for cheap money.

A friend found some very rare German Beatles vinyl at another store.

photoguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner
I have a bunch of 1st pressing Captain Beefheart

cheers.gif

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My two favourite items:

A signed LP of Beck's Odelay. He signed this for me in Philly despite my being incredibly drunk at the time.

The December 1969 issue of National Geographic which contains a special record with moments from the moon landing. This issue is in mint condition, and I haven't taken it apart to listen to it yet. I am waiting for a special occasion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads